Brewer Fanatic

2020 Misc Brewers News

RollieTime
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reports out of Maryvale this morning that Houser was forced from his "B" game start early today due to discomfort.

This is why depth is important.

Doesn't sound serious.

I hope not, but 'thumb tightness' sounds an awful lot like forearm tightness, and that often ends badly.

I apologize if this was already discussed in great detail somewhere - but what are our options with Lo Mo if he continues to tear it up all spring? Is there a possibility that we would keep both he and Smoak coming out of ST? That's two LH bats that primarily only play 1B, right? If we don't keep him on the opening day roster - I'm assuming he goes to another team right? Guessing he has an opt-out at the end of ST if he doesn't make the MLB roster?

Just curious what options we might have with this guy if he continues to hit like he has so far this spring.

I apologize if this was already discussed in great detail somewhere - but what are our options with Lo Mo if he continues to tear it up all spring? Is there a possibility that we would keep both he and Smoak coming out of ST? That's two LH bats that primarily only play 1B, right? If we don't keep him on the opening day roster - I'm assuming he goes to another team right? Guessing he has an opt-out at the end of ST if he doesn't make the MLB roster?

Just curious what options we might have with this guy if he continues to hit like he has so far this spring.

I haven't seen anything on him, his primary path to making the roster is probably taking Gamel's spot. Morrison has played a handful of corner outfield innings. He's a massive liability out there though, so it's not what you want. Morrison would have to really force our hand with his hitting to show he can provide more value in PH appearances than Gamel can with combined PH/PR/defensive replacement situations.

With Holt in the mix, it's certainly possible that Morrison would take Gamel's spot as Holt can do most of what Gamel can do...though that still seems unlikely. My guess is AAA insurance or he has an opt out clause and signs somewhere else right away once available.

Just an idea they can explore is that they don’t need a 5th starter until I believe the 4th time through the rotation because of off days. Also, because of the frequent off days, they could possibly start the year with 12 pitchers on the roster even if it’s only for a week or two until something comes up or an extra inning game forces a move to be made. Similar to the Choi situation from a couple years ago in a way.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I haven't seen anything on him, his primary path to making the roster is probably taking Gamel's spot. Morrison has played a handful of corner outfield innings. He's a massive liability out there though, so it's not what you want. Morrison would have to really force our hand with his hitting to show he can provide more value in PH appearances than Gamel can with combined PH/PR/defensive replacement situations.

With Holt in the mix, it's certainly possible that Morrison would take Gamel's spot as Holt can do most of what Gamel can do...though that still seems unlikely. My guess is AAA insurance or he has an opt out clause and signs somewhere else right away once available.

The issue with Morrison is that he's already said he won't go to AAA. I'm sure he has an opt-out and would be gone if the team doesn't promote him by the opener. I'm also sure the Brewers knew his feelings and his situation going in ... which gives me the feeling that he'll ultimately make the team. Losing Moose, Thames, Shaw and Grandal certainly leaves a need for a LH power bat on the bench. My guess is LoMo makes it as the #5 OF, #3 1B and one of the first bats off the bench. It depends on whether the team feels comfortable enough with Garcia, Yelich or Holt spelling Cain in CF on his breather days.

Just an idea they can explore is that they don’t need a 5th starter until I believe the 4th time through the rotation because of off days. Also, because of the frequent off days, they could possibly start the year with 12 pitchers on the roster even if it’s only for a week or two until something comes up or an extra inning game forces a move to be made. Similar to the Choi situation from a couple years ago in a way.

New roster rules require 13 position player, 13 pitcher split I believe.

He expects a Sogard, Holt, Gyorko (named in that order) platoon at third.

I don't think the order he named them to be anything other than how he rrandomly named them. Again, the position should go to whoever earned it out of spring training.

I don't think they're making decisions on the lineup based on spring training numbers. I'm positive that Counsell and the analytics department will be looking at all sorts of information when filling out lineups for April. As the season goes on, health, hot streaks, etc will adjust the analytics.

Adrian Houser was removed from Monday's appearance in a "B" game due to tightness in his right thumb.

It sounds like something he probably would've pitched through if it was a regular season game, but the Brewers understandably didn't want to push it. Whether Houser will be ready for his next scheduled outing isn't known at this time, but it doesn't appear that this is anything to get worked up about.

Source: Adam McCalvy on Twitter

Mar 2, 2020, 6:28 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I don't see a roster spot for Morrison unless Smoak gets hurt. A few spring training at-bats doesn't erase the pitiful .187/.275/.371/.646 slash line he's posted over the last two seasons. He had a monster year in 2017, and even with those numbers included, he's been a .226/.316/.427/.743 batter over the last five years. He can claim he's a borderline All-Star player when healthy, but the resume doesn't back that up. He posted an .868 OPS in 2017, his next highest OPS in the last eight years is .735. Not impressive at all for a guy who is primarily a 1B/DH.

Note that Morrison posted a .369 OBP/1.009 OPS last year in 233 AAA plate appearances...and then got to the majors and posted a .263 OBP/.663 OPS in limited plate appearances (38). Really hard to believe that a likely 30-40 spring training at-bats will earn him a roster spot unless other player(s) are injured.

I don't see a roster spot for Morrison unless Smoak gets hurt. A few spring training at-bats doesn't erase the pitiful .187/.275/.371/.646 slash line he's posted over the last two seasons. He had a monster year in 2017, and even with those numbers included, he's been a .226/.316/.427/.743 batter over the last five years. He can claim he's a borderline All-Star player when healthy, but the resume doesn't back that up. He posted an .868 OPS in 2017, his next highest OPS in the last eight years is .735. Not impressive at all for a guy who is primarily a 1B/DH.

Note that Morrison posted a .369 OBP/1.009 OPS last year in 233 AAA plate appearances...and then got to the majors and posted a .263 OBP/.663 OPS in limited plate appearances (38). Really hard to believe that a likely 30-40 spring training at-bats will earn him a roster spot unless other player(s) are injured.

He "proved" he wasn't a AAA player last year by posting a -.2 WAR, though.

I read LoMo’s quote about not going to AAA and had to wonder what that means. It’s possible he could get an mlb deal somewhere else after spring training if he doesn’t make the roster, but I wouldn’t call it a given.

Does he mean he’ll retire, go overseas, or is he just trying to force Milwaukee’s hand?

My guess is the Brewers told him that he will get a real chance to make the club. In fact I'd bet on him making it right now just because guys like Healy, Gamel, etc can be optioned to AAA. That said if he doesn't earn a shot and doesn't wanna go to AAA I won't blame him

I too am surprised by his confidence. He says he's an all star player when healthy, yet he's posted over 750 ops as a poor defensive 1b once over the last 7 seasons and has had WAR greater than 1 only once ever. Was he injured his whole career except 2017? Hard to believe this guy is anything but a fringe mlb player hoping to get hot at the right time and hang onto a roster for one more season.

Yeah I'm not going to lose any sleep if we're not able to stash Logan Morrison in AAA.

I tried to do a count on it. It's literally impossible to fit him unless they go with 12 pitchers. Enjoy your showcase and go door2door peddling your goods lomo.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yeah I'm not going to lose any sleep if we're not able to stash Logan Morrison in AAA.

I tried to do a count on it. It's literally impossible to fit him unless they go with 12 pitchers. Enjoy your showcase and go door2door peddling your goods lomo.

It really isn't. It's as easy as optioning Gamel and Healy.

He would simply take Gamel's spot, both Gamel & Healy would go to AAA

It really isn't. It's as easy as optioning Gamel and Healy.

.. and we have seen how much Stearns and Co LOVE depth so if Morrison has a great camp I actually think it is likely that Gamel is optioned and Morrison starts the year with the club.

Archived