Brewer Fanatic

2020 Misc Brewers News

RollieTime

Counsell was on HighHeat today. Here’s a list of a few key notes he shared.

Knebel will hopefully return by early May.

Peralta and Lauer are battling for the 5th spot with the other going into the bullpen.

He expects a Sogard, Holt, Gyorko (named in that order) platoon at third.

SS is up in the air now that Urias is hurt and possibly will miss the start of the season. It opens the door for someone like Arcia to try to win that spot. (Sounds like Urias was/is expected to be the everyday SS).

They expect big things from Garcia this season in the outfield and think that Narvaez will also have a big impact as the primary catcher.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is unfortunate. Neither Peralta or Lauer should be in the bullpen to start the season, big mistake. Keep one of them fresh and stretched out in AAA and working on their secondary pitches. It hurts the team long term to stick them in the bullpen.

This is unfortunate. Neither Peralta or Lauer should be in the bullpen to start the season, big mistake. Keep one of them fresh and stretched out in AAA and working on their secondary pitches. It hurts the team long term to stick them in the bullpen.

The Brewers have said that if Lauer is the #6, he'll be in the AAA rotation. Peralta however would be in MLB rotation or pen.

If Woodruff/Anderson/Houser/Lindblom really are locks and Peralta's making the team one way or another, you have to believe they've pretty much already decided then that the rotation is going to start off as Woodruff/Anderson/Houser/Lindblom/Peralta with Lauer and Burnes going to AAA. It doesn't seem necessarily "fair" to the players and possibly not even the best major league team they could put together to begin the season, but it does optimize their ability to allow everyone to have a chance to show if they belong in the rotation in the long run and could pay dividends in making sure they have the best rotation possible later in the year rather than pigeon-holing anyone into a bullpen spot right away.

Counsell was on HighHeat today. Here’s a list of a few key notes he shared.

Knebel will hopefully return by early May.

So June it is...

and Lauer are battling for the 5th spot with the other going into the bullpen.

I don't like the way we are going about this. The best 5 out of spring should be the guys we go with. If Lindblom isn't one of the best 5, then he shouldn't get a spot. If Burnes and or Peralta are one of the best, they deserve the spots. Announcing the rotation as early as CC did was a mistake.

He expects a Sogard, Holt, Gyorko (named in that order) platoon at third.

I don't think the order he named them to be anything other than how he rrandomly named them. Again, the position should go to whoever earned it out of spring training.

SS is up in the air now that Urias is hurt and possibly will miss the start of the season. It opens the door for someone like Arcia to try to win that spot. (Sounds like Urias was/is expected to be the everyday SS).

I don't think SS is up in the air at all. Arcia will hold the spot until Urias returns. That could make things sticky if Arcia starts out hot...

They expect big things from Garcia this season in the outfield and think that Narvaez will also have a big impact as the primary catcher.

I hope he is right!!! Both guys should be pretty important to our success.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

100% agree.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The Brewers have said that if Lauer is the #6, he'll be in the AAA rotation. Peralta however would be in MLB rotation or pen.

Team needs to trade away or wave Anderson because this is going to backfire. If they take Lauer a 2yr starter for SD and demote him to AAA when he's done nothing in Spring to warrant it? Talk about a major buzzkill on his confidence. This is why I think the piggyback needs to happen. Or move on from the 1yr contract that is Anderson. Burnes down to AAA can be reasonable due to his last season. Lauer? It'll be a problem.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Team needs to trade away or wave Anderson because this is going to backfire. If they take Lauer a 2yr starter for SD and demote him to AAA when he's done nothing in Spring to warrant it? Talk about a major buzzkill on his confidence. This is why I think the piggyback needs to happen. Or move on from the 1yr contract that is Anderson. Burnes down to AAA can be reasonable due to his last season. Lauer? It'll be a problem.

Lauer is a 24 year old kid, and it is practically guaranteed that he's going to be making (many) starts for the Brewers this year. They aren't going to flat out cut a proven starter in Anderson they signed to a $5 million deal just so they can jam Lauer into the rotation in April. I know it is rare that they team has actual starting pitching depth available, but why in the world would that ever be a bad thing? Having guys like Lauer and Burnes, and even Miller, pitching well in the AAA rotation and at the ready for call-up would be a phenomenal position to be in.

They're not going to waive Anderson. Everyone knows he's a high risk for missing a fair number of starts, but they're not going to just waive him. Stearns didn't sign the guy, knowing his injury history, just to waive him and blow 5 million dollars in a guaranteed contract in order to not hurt Lauer's feelings.

Yea I see zero reason why we would want to get rid of our starting pitching depth. We all know the original starting five won't make it through the entire season so keep as many quality pitchers as we can.

On that same note, does anyone else expect LoMo to make the squad? He can't go down to AAA and it is Stearns M.O. to keep as much depth as possible. It seems to me that keeping LoMo while sending down Healy & Gamel to preserve depth would be right up Stearns alley

Yea I see zero reason why we would want to get rid of our starting pitching depth. We all know the original starting five won't make it through the entire season so keep as many quality pitchers as we can.

On that same note, does anyone else expect LoMo to make the squad? He can't go down to AAA and it is Stearns M.O. to keep as much depth as possible. It seems to me that keeping LoMo while sending down Healy & Gamel to preserve depth would be right up Stearns alley

I didn't give him much of a chance when he was signed, but given Morrison's comments yesterday and his hot start, I think there's a decent chance he makes it. The Brewers love lefty power bats, and aren't projected to have a ton of lefty power available on the bench. I still expect Smoak to make most of the starts at 1B, but we could theoretically see Morrison in there against tough righties, along with seeing time in the corner OF.

I didn't give him much of a chance when he was signed, but given Morrison's comments yesterday and his hot start, I think there's a decent chance he makes it. The Brewers love lefty power bats, and aren't projected to have a ton of lefty power available on the bench. I still expect Smoak to make most of the starts at 1B, but we could theoretically see Morrison in there against tough righties, along with seeing time in the corner OF.

Yea I don't see him getting a ton of starts(atleast early on) but I just can't see Stearns letting that depth walk. Maybe gets a start a week in a corner OF or 1b spot and then is one of the main pinch hitters off the bench

I don't like the way we are going about this. The best 5 out of spring should be the guys we go with.

I'm of the opinion with the ability of the team to now always have 13 pitchers on the staff and also carry 13 position players, why do we need to have a rigid 5 man rotation? Why not 6, or have a couple rotation spots dedicated as "bullpen days" that begin using two of these pitchers who can start for the first 5-7 innings? Woodruff is really your one bellcow starter that you may want to make sure gets the ball every 5th day, after that I think they could do alot of interesting things. Depending on how the schedule plays out and who's pitching well.

They're not going to waive Anderson. Everyone knows he's a high risk for missing a fair number of starts, but they're not going to just waive him. Stearns didn't sign the guy, knowing his injury history, just to waive him and blow 5 million dollars in a guaranteed contract in order to not hurt Lauer's feelings.

Well we shouldn't waive Anderson, but a 1/5 deal should not lock a guy into a rotation spot if he's not one of the best 5. If the competition between Anderson and say Lauer is close...even if Lauer is slightly better I would go with Anderson to maintain the flexibility. If Lauer is lightyears ahead of Anderson, well Mr. Anderson can pitch out of the bullpen as 6th starter/swingman. Not the best use of 5 million, but to give a guy a rotation spot when he's not the best option to avoid "wasting" 5 million is bad management. That 5 million is a sunk cost at this point and shouldn't factor into decision making.

Well we shouldn't waive Anderson, but a 1/5 deal should not lock a guy into a rotation spot if he's not one of the best 5. If the competition between Anderson and say Lauer is close...even if Lauer is slightly better I would go with Anderson to maintain the flexibility. If Lauer is lightyears ahead of Anderson, well Mr. Anderson can pitch out of the bullpen as 6th starter/swingman. Not the best use of 5 million, but to give a guy a rotation spot when he's not the best option to avoid "wasting" 5 million is bad management. That 5 million is a sunk cost at this point and shouldn't factor into decision making.

I also don't know that basing rotation spots on Spring Training performance is the best decision making either. We are shown every season how unreliable Spring Training results are in showcasing what will happen during the season.

I also don't know that basing rotation spots on Spring Training performance is the best decision making either. We are shown every season how unreliable Spring Training results are in showcasing what will happen during the season.

yep - I seem to remember both Peralta and Burnes looking great last spring, too. Then April happened.

Yea I don't see him getting a ton of starts(atleast early on) but I just can't see Stearns letting that depth walk. Maybe gets a start a week in a corner OF or 1b spot and then is one of the main pinch hitters off the bench

He's gotten a ton of playing time so far, too. Given that he's already said that he won't be going to AAA, I don't think the Brewers would have signed him if they didn't have the intent of him being on the major league club. Of course, he needed to prove that the bat would still play, which he has so far. Given the Brewers' constant need to preserve depth, I could see Gamel being optioned to AAA, with Morrison, Holt and Sogard capable of filling in in the corner OF behind Yelich, Garcia and Braun.

yep - I seem to remember both Peralta and Burnes looking great last spring, too. Then April happened.

I don't remember either of them having good spring training numbers last year.

Burnes had a 4.84 ERA in 22.1 innings, and Peralta had a 5.06 in 10.2 innings. Burnes did give up 3 bombs, which was a little bit of writing on the wall. Burnes did lead the team in Ks, while Peralta was 3rd.

I have a bit more confidence in Stearns/CC that they aren't simply going to look at spring ERA or anything like that and make a decision. They should be able to analyze which pitchers look the best based on a wide range of factors. FWIW, you cite Burnes/Peralta but Miley also looked incredible in spring the year we had him and would have made the rotation right away had he not gotten hurt based on his spring...and that was off a non-roster invitation to spring. And Miley was arguably our best starter in 2018 when healthy. Point being, what happens in spring training definitely matters and should factor into roster decisions to at least some degree.

Yes, it's a sunk cost, because it's guaranteed money, but the guy hasn't thrown a single pitch of actual innings that matter yet. The season hasn't started and there's people that (seemingly) want him cut, at the cost of 5 million dollars. I absolutely understand sunk cost, but they didn't sign the guy to not give him a chance to perform.

If they go into the season and Anderson isn't one of the top 5 options, then great, find a role for him. But to just be saying "cut him" after throwing 3 (relatively benign) spring training innings, in which we can't really glean a lot of data is pretty out there.

I have zero problem if Anderson doesn't make the rotation, but I also know that Stearns isn't going to sign a guy to 5 million, and then cut him for no reason when the Brewers operate on a tighter budget than most other teams.

Reports out of Maryvale this morning that Houser was forced from his "B" game start early today due to discomfort.

This is why depth is important.

Doesn't sound serious.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived