Brewer Fanatic

Freddy Peralta signs long-term extension with Brewers

Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal

·

8m

RHP Freddy Peralta finalizing long-term extension with #Brewers, source tells The Athletic. Terms expected to be similar to deal that LH reliever Aaron Bummer recently signed twith #WhiteSox - five years, $16M, with two club options that could increase total value to $30.75M.

This is pretty neat. Appears that Freddy will be locked down for up to the next 7 years, which would bring him though his age 30 season.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Freddy was to be a free agent after the 2024 season. So the 5 year portion only buys out his team control. The 2 option years would buy out 2 years of free agency for only $7.5 million or so each. If Freddy turns into a stud, this would be highway robbery.

At the current going rate for average starting pitching those two years could be a steal if he is just solid.

Glad that they feel the same way about him as I do. Not surprised they do, but it's always a nice surprise when a player takes this kind of deal.

If I was a player, I would always take this type of deal. You're playing a game for a living, and $15 million guaranteed is set for life money for you and your family. You never know when you'll get hurt, or if you won't pan out. There are a lot of scenarios where we don't get $15 million in value, there are also a couple scenarios where we get $100 million in value.

Glad that they feel the same way about him as I do. Not surprised they do, but it's always a nice surprise when a player takes this kind of deal.

If I was a player, I would always take this type of deal. You're playing a game for a living, and $15 million guaranteed is set for life money for you and your family. You never know when you'll get hurt, or if you won't pan out. There are a lot of scenarios where we don't get $15 million in value, there are also a couple scenarios where we get $100 million in value.

It is nice to see the Brewers using their financial flexibility to lock up young guys they consider part of their core. I wonder if they will look into doing this with a few more players? Hiura comes to mind as a strong possibility. Perhaps Woodruff too.

I can't see any way that a pitcher, especially, can turn this down. He is a blown elbow away from ruin and now never has to work again.

This is pretty cool. Happy for Peralta. Really hope he turns out to be a monster on the mound and we can continue to build the shrine of David Stearns.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

To me this is a great sign that the club thinks Freddy is primed to step up his game. If they weren't pretty sure of the guy, this would not happen.

Nice for Freddy as well. Sets him for life - no matter the outcome - which is huge for a young guy. Happy to have him on board for a while.

Freddy was to be a free agent after the 2024 season. So the 5 year portion only buys out his team control. The 2 option years would buy out 2 years of free agency for only $7.5 million or so each. If Freddy turns into a stud, this would be highway robbery.

If he merely becomes a solid reliever out of the bullpen, this is highway robbery.

This really makes me think that the Brewers have a defined role for Peralta moving forward. Gotta speculate that it's as a core member of the rotation.

https://www.kpvi.com/sports/freddy-peralta-makes-his-pitch-for-a-spot-in-brewers/article_7c0545cb-4071-5c6f-9341-926e06acd123.html

Pretty cool to see Freddy Peralta work this offseason with former Brewer Carlos Villanueva.

If he can also make strides to improve his command, I foresee him as comparable to the Cardinals Carlos Martinez, who had a breakout season during his age 23 season as well.

This contract could turn out to be a real bargin for the Brewers.

If he merely becomes a solid reliever out of the bullpen, this is highway robbery.

I guess that depends what you mean by a solid reliever. There are plenty of solid relievers with a market well under 7.5M per season. If he becomes an elite reliever or solid starter then it could wind up highway robbery.

Not really, solid relievers don't make much in arbitration. As a solid reliever I don't think he is making $15mil in arby. If anything it would be a wash.

Not really, solid relievers don't make much in arbitration. As a solid reliever I don't think he is making $15mil in arby. If anything it would be a wash.

Right. Claudio in his final 5 years that one could compare to Freddy will probably net $8-9 million combined. Someone slightly above that will probably combine to make $15, which I would call a wash, maybe a steal given inflation that will come (if we're still on the same system).

Right, we do not know if MLB will be on the same system. The 5 year deal may end up buying out a year of free agency. If Stearns believes free agency could occur at 5 years of less then it may make sense to make more deals like this.

Locking Freddy up at that cost could pay off huge for Milwaukee even if he becomes just a mid-rotation starter. His ceiling is well beyond that though. Even if he becomes just an average reliever, the price of only $3 million or so is pretty team friendly as well. He has the stuff to be a bullpen weapon, but if he makes it in the rotation long term, this will be an extremely team friendly deal.

I always feel that if you are going to extend guys, do it early. The team takes the risk of the player gets hurt or under-performs, but taking on that risk allows them to get the deal done for a discount. By the time players get to their arby years, the discount often isn't worth the added risk.

Good for the Brewers and good for Peralta. I hope this means he will get a chance to show us what he can do in the rotation. If he and Burnes can pan out, that will help the Brewers a lot going forward.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Now, if they can just get something similar (albeit richer) done with Woodruff...

Agreed on Woodruff. Depending on how risk-averse you are, do it with Burnes as well. In fact, give Burnes the same deal as Peralta. I have a tremendous amount of faith that these three will be leading the rotation for the next five seasons.

Archived