Brewer Fanatic

Dealing Ben Gamel

Even though I just pointed to Holt being capable of 1b, I read your post about Holt in the OF and it dawned on me.

Vs RHP our only quality 3b is Holt. He is going to be there every single game vs a RHP starter. The only time he could sub into the OF is vs a LHP starter where he's not at his best. It's possible but it doesn't make a lot of sense to play him in the OF vs a LHP starter. Nor does it make any sense to play him in the OF in that situation.

The only way Gyorko moves over to 1st is if Urias is at SS pushing Sogard to 3rd. I'll be really disappointed if they have this much split material and don't heavily lean into those platoons.

Gamel still doesn't fit. Garcia plays CF acceptably. Gamel plays CF acceptably. Not that Broxton is better but at least he has plus tools we can work in to our benefit.

If we are to assume that we are getting "good Sogard," he has been fine against RHP in his 2017 and 2019 runs.

I'll be really disappointed if they have this much split material and don't heavily lean into those platoons.

I agree. However, I am leery - has CC ever done a strict platoon at any point in time? I'm old and maybe I am forgetting something.

I'll be really disappointed if they have this much split material and don't heavily lean into those platoons.

I agree. However, I am leery - has CC ever done a strict platoon at any point in time? I'm old and maybe I am forgetting something.

Thames/Aguilar was until Aguilar busted through the doors.

I'm sure there are others from his first year that I'm forgetting but generally you end up with things like Shaw platooning all around the diamond.

Asking a forward-thinking team like the Brewers to use the data and do platoons is like asking me to eat this delicious sandwich that you've given me for free and put 2 foot away from my face. Of course I will.

The Brewers will absolutely platoon but it will be shifting guys all around the diamond and also getting guys rest. There may not be many strict, "this is our 3B against lefties, this is our 3B against righties" type of thing. They may also use more variables. "This guy is good at hitting splitters and righties so he's playing 3B today against the righty splitter thrower."

Archived