Brewer Fanatic

Opening day 26 man roster

adambr2
Maybe I have missed it but I always assumed Gyroko would make the roster. Still don't know how Morrison really fits in.

He doesn't, this Logan Morrison stuff is getting ridiculous. He had 15 good at bats in the first half of spring, many against non-mlb caliber pitchers. He could mash for 2 more weeks and would still be very unlikely to crack the roster, because small sample and he has zero versatility. It's way more likely the Brewers are talking him up and hoping to trade him for anything of value 2-3 weeks from now.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Maybe I have missed it but I always assumed Gyroko would make the roster. Still don't know how Morrison really fits in.

yeah, Gyorko is a lock as the RHH side of the 3B platoon. Morrison only fits as a pinch hitter and LHH 1B option against tough righties. But we all know that the Brewers love LHH power in Miller Park, and other than Yelich, Narvaez and Smoak, that aspect is lacking. They really have no LHH power on the bench. That's why Morrison could make it, at the expense of Gamel, who would be optioned to AAA.

He doesn't, this Logan Morrison stuff is getting ridiculous. He had 15 good at bats in the first half of spring, many against non-mlb caliber pitchers. He could mash for 2 more weeks and would still be very unlikely to crack the roster, because small sample and he has zero versatility. It's way more likely the Brewers are talking him up and hoping to trade him for anything of value 2-3 weeks from now.

I don't know about that. The guy is pretty much starting every game. I don't think they would have signed him, knowing his feelings on not going to AAA, if he didn't stand at least a legit shot of making the team.

I'm not really a Morrison fan. Pretty indifferent on him, to tell you the truth. But the tea leaves are starting to point to him making the squad out of Spring Training.

Phelps is doing a good job so far of putting his spot in jeopardy this spring but there's a long way to go yet. I've also never been sold on Black. I'd keep an eye on Eric Yardley if those two fail. Yardley's not a big strikeout guy but he's had success at every level in the minors. There's opportunities for others with good springs. The pen is the biggest concern I have on this team unless and until Knebel is back to full strength. I just don't see 7th and 8th inning guys that can be relied on. I think Peralta wins a rotation spot and Hauser ends up back in pen with the same role that Chase Anderson had starting last year. Hauser seems to be strictly a 5 inning guy and with a bullpen that's shaky, they need starters who are able to get into the third time through an order.

Phelps is doing a good job so far of putting his spot in jeopardy this spring but there's a long way to go yet. I've also never been sold on Black. There's opportunities for others with good springs. The pen is the biggest concern I have on this team unless and until Knebel is back to full strength. I just don't see 7th and 8th inning guys that can be relied on. I think Peralta wins a rotation spot and Hauser ends up back in pen with the same role that Chase Anderson had starting last year. Hauser seems to be strictly a 5 inning guy and with a bullpen that's shaky, they need starters who are able to get into the third time through an order.

Except that Counsell has given no indication, at least so far, that Houser's rotation spot is in jeopardy. In fact, as of the interview he had with Michaels yesterday, he's considered one of the sure-thing rotation guys. Houser certainly hasn't shown anything that would put that spot in jeopardy, either.

When has Stearns ever kept a guy with options over a guy without options if it's close? Especially for the last guy on the bench who will rarely play

I don't know about that. The guy is pretty much starting every game. I don't think they would have signed him, knowing his feelings on not going to AAA, if he didn't stand at least a legit shot of making the team.

I'm not really a Morrison fan. Pretty indifferent on him, to tell you the truth. But the tea leaves are starting to point to him making the squad out of Spring Training.

Morrison has played in less games than Rodriguez and Broxton, games played right now is irrelevant. He was brought in as basically cheap/free insurance in case of injury to Smoak/Braun/Gamel. Gamel has basically been equally productive with the bat every year the last 3 years outside of Morrison's fluke 2017 season...and then he's useful in so many more ways while Morrison is literally a PH option only. It's not close between him and Gamel...Gamel is far more valuable. Gamel is also at peak age while Morrison is aging and on the decline...he odds of him bouncing back to 2017 form are miniscule.

And let's say by some miracle that Morrison beats out Gamel in the Brewers eyes...he'd only be around a week or two anyways until Urias is back. And, Morrison also isn't on the 40 man roster. You have all those obstacles to navigate outside of the value they could potentially add in MLB games.

When has Stearns ever kept a guy with options over a guy without options if it's close? Especially for the last guy on the bench who will rarely play

Morrison isn't even on the 40. Morrison also hasn't even been in the PH role before, Gamel was last year and was very very good in that role. Plus, versatility is a big deal for this team. Always has been.

Morrison has played in less games than Rodriguez and Broxton, games played right now is irrelevant. He was brought in as basically cheap/free insurance in case of injury to Smoak/Braun/Gamel. Gamel has basically been equally productive with the bat every year the last 3 years outside of Morrison's fluke 2017 season...and then he's useful in so many more ways while Morrison is literally a PH option only. It's not close between him and Gamel...Gamel is far more valuable. Gamel is also at peak age while Morrison is aging and on the decline...he odds of him bouncing back to 2017 form are miniscule.

And let's say by some miracle that Morrison beats out Gamel in the Brewers eyes...he'd only be around a week or two anyways until Urias is back. And, Morrison also isn't on the 40 man roster. You have all those obstacles to navigate outside of the value they could potentially add in MLB games.

Keeping Gamel or Morrison as the 26th man frankly doesn't really matter to me either way. They both bring potential value. It's going to come down to whether the Brewers value Gamel's strong defense in the OF late in games versus Morrison's power bat late in games. But the fact that Gamel can be safely optioned to AAA, while Morrison has already said that he's gone if he doesn't make the roster out of Spring Training, likely does play a huge role. And I'm saying this as a fan who really likes Gamel.

It is also entirely possible that the Brewers break camp with both Morrison and Gamel on the roster, and only carry 12 pitchers. That actually does make some sense, considering all the off days at the beginning of the season.

I don't think CC knows the meaning or "rarely play." Everyone on our roster typically gets a lot of playing time, somehow, some way.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

CC has also never had 5 bench guys for a long stretch of time. I really don't see the 13th position player getting more than a start every 10 days or so. Whether that is LoMo or Gamel.

Also are we sure Arcia sticks around after Urias is back? Urias, Arcia, Gyorko, Holt, Sogard is alot of overlap when Arcia can be simply optioned

CC has also never had 5 bench guys for a long stretch of time. I really don't see the 13th position player getting more than a start every 10 days or so. Whether that is LoMo or Gamel.

Also are we sure Arcia sticks around after Urias is back? Urias, Arcia, Gyorko, Holt, Sogard is alot of overlap when Arcia can be simply optioned

Also worth noting, Arcia is making 2.2 million and Gamel 1.4 million. That's a lot of money to pay someone to play in AAA as depth. We might have to option these guys for brief spells if everyone happens to be healthy at the same time, but adding Morrison as a permanent fixture would force us to have 1-2 of these optionable guys down all the time(or traded).

Also worth noting, Arcia is making 2.2 million and Gamel 1.4 million. That's a lot of money to pay someone to play in AAA as depth. We might have to option these guys for brief spells if everyone happens to be healthy at the same time, but adding Morrison as a permanent fixture would force us to have 1-2 of these optionable guys down all the time(or traded).

So let's even say both Gamel & Arcia make the OD roster over LoMo. Arcia goes down when Urias comes back right? Unless of course there is an injury

C Narvaez/Pina

1B Smoak

2B Hiura

SS Urias

3B Sogard/Gyorko

LF Yelich

CF Cain

RF Garcia/Braun

Util: Holt

OF: Gamel

So let's even say both Gamel & Arcia make the OD roster over LoMo. Arcia goes down when Urias comes back right? Unless of course there is an injury

C Narvaez/Pina

1B Smoak

2B Hiura

SS Urias

3B Sogard/Gyorko

LF Yelich

CF Cain

RF Garcia/Braun

Util: Holt

OF: Gamel

That would be my guess. It becomes a bit more clean if one of Gamel or Arcia gets traded, but yes that's my thought as well...we'll probably either roll 14 position players with both Gamel/Arcia on the roster, or one will have to spend some time in AAA. Which is not ideal, but keeping LoMo forces a move or forces us to keep potentially 2 guys down in AAA at a given time.

Archived