P Suter

P Claudio

P Phelps

Likely:

OF Gamel

P Wahl

P Black

P Peralta

That's 20 guys I would consider locks or near locks, along with 4 likely rostered guys. That only leaves one position player spot and one pitcher spot open in spring training.

Healy? Burnes? Feyereisen? Yardley? Perdomo?

Healy is probably my last position player in with Devin Williams being my last pitcher in, with all the locks and likely making the 26 man. Room will have to be made soon for Urias and Knebel.

1. brett anderson

2. ray black

3. corbin burnes

4. alex claudio

5. josh hader

6. adrian houser

7. eric lauer

8. josh lindblom

9. freddy peralta

10. david phelps

11. brent suter

12. bobby wahl

13. brandon woodruff

corey knebel on injured list

1. orlando arcia

2. ryan braun

3. lorenzo cain

4. ben gamel

5. avisail garcia

6. jedd gyorko

7. keston hiura

8. brock holt

9. omar narvarez

10. manny pina

11. justin smoak

12. eric sogard

13. christian yelich

luis urias on injured list

I'm counting 13 position players there already and I think you've got that nailed (at least until Urias is ready to go). The last pitcher spot (or even the last ~4 pitcher spots) is a total crapshoot and I'm sure will be completely dependent on Spring performances and what they decide to do with the starters to begin the year, etc. Not to mention, Stearns loves grabbing a reliever right before the season starts, so there's a good chance that 26th man isn't on the roster yet.

Regardless, Counsell is going to have so much fun putting together lineups this year, can't wait to see it all play out!

Well CC even made a comment about figuring out the pen. The last 3 spots in the pen are completely up in the air. I think the rest is cut and dry. Black Wahl Burnes Devin Feyereisen Yardley. Could all slot in there. Anyone else would be a bit of a surprise and require a big spring. I'd prefer Burnes to start AAA over the MLB pen. I think Peralta and Houser are locks and may stay where they are or swap roles.

However, they have 6 clear cut front runners for 3 roles heading towards opening day.

Hader Suter Peralta/Houser Phelps Claudio... 3 roles

The only way I see them shaking up the offense is: injury or Gamel (insert Taylor on the MLB roster) being traded for a RP.

Well CC even made a comment about figuring out the pen. The last 3 spots in the pen are completely up in the air. I think the rest is cut and dry. Black Wahl Burnes Devin Feyereisen Yardley. Could all slot in there. Anyone else would be a bit of a surprise and require a big spring. I'd prefer Burnes to start AAA over the MLB pen. I think Peralta and Houser are locks and may stay where they are or swap roles.

However, they have 6 clear cut front runners for 3 roles heading towards opening day.

Hader Suter Peralta/Houser Phelps Claudio... 3 roles

The only way I see them shaking up the offense is: injury or Gamel (insert Taylor on the MLB roster) being traded for a RP.

I'm actually with you on Gamel being moved to help the roster. With Holt on the roster and Garcia's ability to play CF ... Gamel's value to us might actually be in a trade. That 5th OF should be getting very few at bats as it is... call me crazy but Keon Broxton might actually be more valuable to us considering he can play the same level of defense and can be an effective pinch runner late in games.

That 26th roster spot could/should be used like a playoff roster spot... a base stealer stashed on your bench can be an option.

Ben Gamel is a better player than Broxton is.. but Im not sure Broxton couldn't provide more value given such a reduced role, as long as at bats are not needed? Especially if we can get value back in a trade for Gamel... am I way off here?

It doesn't help Gamel that he has reverse splits and 3 of the 4 other OFs particularly mash lefties. Yelich, the 4th, mashes everyone.

Broxton doesn't fix that. Taylor looks a little more consistent in his splits over the last 2 years. 2018 much more than 2019.

tyrone taylor is out until late april or early may as recovers from left wrist surgery. makes the club less likely to trade gamel early in the season.

tyrone taylor is out until late april or early may as recovers from left wrist surgery. makes the club less likely to trade gamel early in the season.

Oh that's right. Slipped my mind. Well Broxton until Taylor is healthy isn't that bad.

It really comes down to the fit of Gamel. He reverse splits LHP well. 3 of the 4 are better vs LHP and while Yellich is worse vs LHP he's still better than everyone else. Gamel isn't that good in CF and he really shouldn't play much in the OF with the other 4 taking up as many starts as they can. Garcia and Yelich play RF. Gamel is on the roster to backup Cain and his splits are bad when you'd prefer to sit Cain.

He likely has some value, and he's a nice player but unlike so many of the puzzle pieces there isn't a way to put him in position to succeed without taking someone out of a good matchup.

We need a guy who splits well vs RHP more than we need a neutral CF option. Garcia is a neutral CF option stunningly enough. Broxton doesn't fix the RHP part but he's plus in CF.

256-327-706 is his career slash line when he's most likely to play. It's not terrible, but it's pretty weak. Especially for this OF and the way MKE's offense leans on the OF. There's just a clear line of platoon through this entire roster, and Gamel doesn't fit that. (Arcia really doesn't either but I don't count him because he can't hit anything and Urias' crazy splits in the MLB are not reflected in the MiLB at all.)

.. and I should have been more clear, I was using Broxton as an example of someone who has few desirable traits, however one or two of those traits are unique and elite enough that using it exclusively as a 26th roster spot could be a big help to the club.

Quinten Berry from years past comes to mind. If the Brewers can stash a great baserunner/basestealer on the bottom of their bench it could change a few games. How many late inning singles from Smoak, Narvaez, Pina, Gyorko, etc would it be great to have a fleet footed option on the bench ready to change the game? If it is a viable playoff strategy ... seems like an appropriate use of the 26th spot in season as well ESPECIALLY given our roster of versatility so we are covered in most spots for late game changes.

In terms of a 26th man, if Billy Hamilton doesn't make the Giants squad out of camp I'd get a guy that like in a second to add a late inning threat, as long as he doesn't get regular at bats.

If I get a good deal, that isn't stopping me from trading Gamel. With Garcia able to play CF, we have plenty of insurance all around the OF.

Gamel is exactly what you want as a 26th man. He’s an excellent base runner and right behind Garcia and Yelich in terms of sprint speed so he can be used for pinch running. Also he didn’t hit into a double play at all in 2019 despite hitting ground balls in nearly a third of his at bats. His OBP in situations with RISP and two outs: .500, .351 OBP in late/close situations.

Certainly not a nucleus starter type player, but a nice all around player that can pinch run, pinch hit with some ability, competency in the outfield means he’s a good double switch candidate.

Locks:

OF Yelich

OF Cain

OF/1B Braun

OF Garcia

1B Smoak

2B Hiura

IF Sogard

IF Gyorko

IF/OF Holt

SS Arcia

C Pina

C Narvaez

P Woodruff

P Lindblom

P Lauer

P Anderson

P Houser

P Hader

P Suter

P Claudio

P Phelps

Likely:

OF Gamel

P Wahl

P Black

P Peralta

First off, I count 21 at the top. You have the 13 position players nailed I'm pretty sure. Only question mark is Urias, and then what we do when Urias is healthy. Gamel or Arcia are probably most likely to go when that happens. There are a couple guys that could play their way off the team if they start really bad, I'm primarily looking at Gyorko here.

Pitching, I again generally agree. The only nitpick is I don't know that I would call Wahl likely. He has a good shot, but coming off a lost year I wouldn't go that far with him...he definitely doesn't belong in the same group as Peralta and probably not Black either. Basically it'll be pick the best 3-5 pitchers out of a large group of guys competing for those last few spots. I'm comfortable with the talent that we'll find those few guys to fill out those last few bullpen spots.

Pitchers: Woodruff, Anderson, Lindblom, Lauer, Houser, Hader, Suter, Peralta, Phillips, Claudio, Black, Yardley, Perdomo

Position: Narvaez, Pina, Smoak, Hiura, Arcia, Sogard, Holt, Gyorko, Yelich, Cain, Braun, Garcia, Gamel

Two places where things could pan out differently are obviously the last few bullpen spots and possibly our 5th OF since Gamel has one remaining option. Black seems like a lock to make the roster if he doesn’t implode in ST since he’s out of options. Wahl seems destined to start out in AAA since he’s just coming back from injury. Then it’s basically a crap shoot between Yardley, Perdomo, Feyereisen and D. Williams since I’m not convinced Morin or Grimm will revive their careers. I could see a scenario where Broxton shows enough in camp to earn the final spot. Having Gamel start the season in AAA only makes our deeper.

Pitchers: Woodruff, Anderson, Lindblom, Lauer, Houser, Hader, Suter, Peralta, Phillips, Claudio, Black, Yardley, Perdomo

Position: Narvaez, Pina, Smoak, Hiura, Arcia, Sogard, Holt, Gyorko, Yelich, Cain, Braun, Garcia, Gamel

Two places where things could pan out differently are obviously the last few bullpen spots and possibly our 5th OF since Gamel has one remaining option. Black seems like a lock to make the roster if he doesn’t implode in ST since he’s out of options. Wahl seems destined to start out in AAA since he’s just coming back from injury. Then it’s basically a crap shoot between Yardley, Perdomo, Feyereisen and D. Williams since I’m not convinced Morin or Grimm will revive their careers. I could see a scenario where Broxton shows enough in camp to earn the final spot. Having Gamel start the season in AAA only makes our deeper.

I think you mean Phelps instead of Phillips. I agree the last two spots in the pen will be a crap shoot. I am really intrigued by Perdomo, Wahl, and Feyereisen. I don't see Morin, Miller, or Grimm even being in the running for a spot. It will be interesting when Urias is ready to play too. Gamel is the obvious choice to be sent down, but if CC sees Sogard as a viable SS, they might trade Arcia or send him down.

SP (5):

Anderson

Houser

Lauer

Lindblom

woodruff

OF (5)

Braun

Cain

Gamel

Garcia

Yelich

INF (6)

Smoak

Huira

Arcia

Sogard

Gyroko

Holt

Catcher (2)

Pina

Narvaez

Pen (8)

Hader

Suter

Peralta

Phelps

Claudio

Black

Wahl

Burnes

IL (2)

Urias

Knebel

That's how I see it right now before they've played a spring game. Obviously the pen is the biggest question mark as to who will actually break camp with the team since Burnes, Wahl, and Peralta (and I suppose Claudio and Suter) could be optioned if one of the other pen options performs better.

If Urias is ready for opening day I would lean toward optioning Gamel.

SP (5):

Anderson

Houser

Lauer

Lindblom

woodruff

OF (5)

Braun

Cain

Gamel

Garcia

Yelich

INF (6)

Smoak

Huira

Arcia

Sogard

Gyroko

Holt

Catcher (2)

Pina

Narvaez

Pen (8)

Hader

Suter

Peralta

Phelps

Claudio

Black

Wahl

Burnes

IL (2)

Urias

Knebel

That's how I see it right now before they've played a spring game. Obviously the pen is the biggest question mark as to who will actually break camp with the team since Burnes, Wahl, and Peralta (and I suppose Claudio and Suter) could be optioned if one of the other pen options performs better.

If Urias is ready for opening day I would lean toward optioning Gamel.

Honestly, when Urias is healthy, I think they should look to deal Gamel. There are other outfield options, especially with Holt, Sogard, and Gyroko. Plus, with guys in the minors like Broxton, Ray, Hummel, and Taylor... see if they can't get something for Gamel.

SP (5):

Woodruff

Anderson

Houser

Peralta

Lauer

OF (5)

Yelich

Cain

Garcia

Braun

Gamel

INF (6)

Huira

Smoak

Holt

Sogard

Gyroko

Arcia

Catcher (2)

Narvaez

Pina

Pen (8)

Hader

Suter

Phelps

Lindblom

Claudio

Black

Wahl

Feyereisen

IL (2)

Urias

Knebel

DEPTH

AAA Pitchers: Burnes, D Williams, Supak, Perdomo, Yardley

AAA Postion: Nottingham, Freitas, Taylor, Ray, Broxton, Mathias, Rodriguez, Healy

I would guess Urias and Knebel are up by mid-May. Barring other injuries, Feyereisen and Arcia go down to AAA.

• 2 weeks later...

SP (5):

Woodruff

Anderson

Houser

Lauer

Lindblom

OF (5)

Braun

Cain

Gamel

Garcia

Yelich

INF (6)

Smoak

Morrison

Huira

Arcia

Sogard

Holt

Catcher (2)

Navarez

Pina

Pen (8)

Hader

Suter

Peralta

Phelps

Claudio

Black

Wahl

Someone TBD/Signed

IL (2)

Urias

Knebel

Burnes to AAA to start the year. I know Counsel hinted at this in one interview I saw, kind of saying he had a lot to prove and to get confidence back. However, if he keeps dominating the way he has he will really make it hard to keep him off the roster. I honestly don't like the looks of the rotation without him or Freddy, but think they may start the year that way. I feel like they will both be in the rotation by the all star break.

Archived