Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Brock Holt

Brewcrewin07

Saw this on Facebook yesterday and it really got to me. My kids are about the ages of the little ones in that video. Makes you almost sad he couldn't stay in Boston. I hope some fans come with him to Milwaukee in spirit.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting tidbit in an article about Brock Holt talking to Travis Shaw before deciding to sign with the Brewers:

“(Holt) actually reached out to me about a week or two ago saying that the Brewers had some interest and that they were starting to talk,” Shaw told The Wisconsin Sports Zone. “He was just asking about how the organization was and I gave him nothing but positive things.

“Brock is one of my favorite teammates that I’ve ever played with. He keeps it loose in the clubhouse. Obviously he is a great player, he can play all over the diamond, but just his presence in the clubhouse and in the dugout, he keeps things loose and he keeps things fun.”

Seeing positive statements about the organization from former players is a good sign.

A couple good quotes from Stearns and Counsell are also in the article.

http://madcitysportszone.com/2020/02/19/how-travis-shaw-helped-brock-holt-decide-on-milwaukee/

Interesting tidbit in an article about Brock Holt talking to Travis Shaw before deciding to sign with the Brewers:

“(Holt) actually reached out to me about a week or two ago saying that the Brewers had some interest and that they were starting to talk,” Shaw told The Wisconsin Sports Zone. “He was just asking about how the organization was and I gave him nothing but positive things.

“Brock is one of my favorite teammates that I’ve ever played with. He keeps it loose in the clubhouse. Obviously he is a great player, he can play all over the diamond, but just his presence in the clubhouse and in the dugout, he keeps things loose and he keeps things fun.”

Seeing positive statements about the organization from former players is a good sign.

A couple good quotes from Stearns and Counsell are also in the article.

http://madcitysportszone.com/2020/02/19/how-travis-shaw-helped-brock-holt-decide-on-milwaukee/

That Thornburg trade still paying dividends!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Totally agree with you...lest we forget last season:

EEiRqLTUcAA3HLq.png

I stared at this entirely too long before I got it.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Getting a guy of his caliber for $2.5 million this season is pretty remarkable. How he had such little interest is beyond me. He doesn’t have much pop, but can play anywhere and has had a .360+ OBP the last two seasons. He is a guy that you would think every team would love to have as a possible lead off hitter or guy to put in the 7 or 8 hole in the lineup. There are plenty worse options that teams will be using in the bottom third of their everyday lineup than what Holt can provide.

Getting a guy of his caliber for $2.5 million this season is pretty remarkable. How he had such little interest is beyond me. He doesn’t have much pop, but can play anywhere and has had a .360+ OBP the last two seasons. He is a guy that you would think every team would love to have as a possible lead off hitter or guy to put in the 7 or 8 hole in the lineup. There are plenty worse options that teams will be using in the bottom third of their everyday lineup than what Holt can provide.

He said something on the news about his wife saying, "ok it's time to get a job." Makes me wonder if Holt held out looking for something better and it didn't show up. Then teams pulled their other options and money dried up. I wonder if he semi-misplayed this looking for something sweeter.

The 5 mil in 2021 really isn't too shabby. The 3.25 if MKE opts out is really solid. He could hit 4 mil though. As you said, he could certainly lead off for us vs RHP and top 450 AB. He has the big role in the Gyorkogard platoon. He's the one who hits RHP.

As shown on page 1.

Holt vs RHP 354 OBP the last 3 years

Sogard vs LHP 343 OBP the last 3 years.

Cain insurance and Cain's career OBP is 27 points higher vs LHP. Last years 324 OBP from the lead off spot won't cut it.

I think you’re reading that wrong......3.25 million minimum this season with a 750k buyout if the option.

So 4 million minimum......plus incentives.

I think you’re reading that wrong......3.25 million minimum this season with a 750k buyout if the option.

Looks like his salary is in fact $2.5 million. The buyout brings it up to $3.25 million. He also has $750K in possible incentives to bring the total to $4 million including the opt out if he gets at least 450 at bats.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/milwaukee-brewers/brock-holt-11509/

If you go by the spotrac page and Ken R. tweet, it is $2.5M

The tweet says, "One year, $3.25M. Guarantee includes $750K buyout...."

Archived