Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Brock Holt

Brewcrewin07
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Love the Holt signing! He is a great addition to this roster. The Garcia and Holt signings were the two I really liked this offseason. The roster construction is a little odd though as it sits. Not including Healy, we are at 14 batters on the roster.

Positional Versatility Shown Below

1B: Braun/Smoak/Holt

2B: Hiura/Urias/Holt/Sogard

SS: Urias/Sogard/Arcia/Holt

3B Gyorko/Sogard/Holt

OF: Yelich/Cain/Garcia/Braun/Holt/Gamel

C: Narvaez/Pina

This is what I love about Stearns. The guy is just always looking at margins and trying new things. We're literally going to platoon just about everywhere except Yelich in left. Platoons work. Why not do them at every position? Why make your starters go through the order three times? Who says Moose can't play 2nd base when there are so many shifts?

It's just fun to watch the guy innovate. Not saying it will work, but I love the fact that we'll try anything to squeeze extra wins out of a roster, and I know everyone does that, but Stearns seems to find NEW ways to try and do it each season. One of these is due for failure, but who cares? The guy is just not wedded to a single philosophy, and that's so, so rare in competitive, high-level athletics, and it's why I'll be on team DS for a while. He seems to have a sense of data and interpretation that is really rare and really valuable, especially in a small market.

Love the Holt signing! He is a great addition to this roster. The Garcia and Holt signings were the two I really liked this offseason. The roster construction is a little odd though as it sits. Not including Healy, we are at 14 batters on the roster.

Positional Versatility Shown Below

1B: Braun/Smoak/Holt

2B: Hiura/Urias/Holt/Sogard

SS: Urias/Sogard/Arcia/Holt

3B Gyorko/Sogard/Holt

OF: Yelich/Cain/Garcia/Braun/Holt/Gamel

C: Narvaez/Pina

This is what I love about Stearns. The guy is just always looking at margins and trying new things. We're literally going to platoon just about everywhere except Yelich in left. Platoons work. Why not do them at every position? Why make your starters go through the order three times? Who says Moose can't play 2nd base when there are so many shifts?

It's just fun to watch the guy innovate. Not saying it will work, but I love the fact that we'll try anything to squeeze extra wins out of a roster, and I know everyone does that, but Stearns seems to find NEW ways to try and do it each season. One of these is due for failure, but who cares? The guy is just not wedded to a single philosophy, and that's so, so rare in competitive, high-level athletics, and it's why I'll be on team DS for a while. He seems to have a sense of data and interpretation that is really rare and really valuable, especially in a small market.

I like what Stearns has done as well, but there are a few worrying things. It seems like MKE has always had a good reputation as a player friendly organization with a strong, winning clubhouse atmosphere. With so much roster turnover in one year you never really know how the mix of personalities is going to mesh with each other behind the scenes. CC seems to be good at keeping everybody happy though, and there are a LOT of veterans on this club so I don't anticipate a lot of problems, it's just something that is another unknown that could go awry.

As per usual with that sort of thing, I'd guess that if they win everything will be great. If they lose...who knows.

I like what Stearns has done as well, but there are a few worrying things. It seems like MKE has always had a good reputation as a player friendly organization with a strong, winning clubhouse atmosphere. With so much roster turnover in one year you never really know how the mix of personalities is going to mesh with each other behind the scenes. CC seems to be good at keeping everybody happy though, and there are a LOT of veterans on this club so I don't anticipate a lot of problems, it's just something that is another unknown that could go awry.

As per usual with that sort of thing, I'd guess that if they win everything will be great. If they lose...who knows.

I don't think this move makes Stearns a genius.

To me, it makes the other GMs look stupid. The fact Holt was still out there, and allowing Stearns to get him so late is just crazy.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I don't think this move makes Stearns a genius.

To me, it makes the other GMs look stupid. The fact Holt was still out there, and allowing Stearns to get him so late is just crazy.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I wonder if this could be insurance in case Urias's hand injury doesn't recover very quickly.

Insurance if as some scouts believe Gyorko is done. More likely is Holt is the guy they really wanted but his price was too high so they went with Sogard and Gyorko first.

I wonder if this could be insurance in case Urias's hand injury doesn't recover very quickly.

Insurance if as some scouts believe Gyorko is done. More likely is Holt is the guy they really wanted but his price was too high so they went with Sogard and Gyorko first.

Stearns and Counsell have been on record as saying they try to target quality clubhouse guys when targeting free agents and trade possibilities. Sogard, Holt, Gyorko, Smoak, Garcia and Narvaez all are said to be good teammates which is huge when there are only so many at-bats to go around.

Counsell is now responsible for finding the best way to implement and get the most out of this versatile roster. I for one am confident he will find a way to keep everyone happy and the team in contention. I know on paper there never seem to be enough at-bats to go around but in a 162 game season there will always be untimely injuries and prolonged slumps which will need to be addressed. So I’m not worried about everyone getting ample playing time if their production warrants it.

Stearns and Counsell have been on record as saying they try to target quality clubhouse guys when targeting free agents and trade possibilities. Sogard, Holt, Gyorko, Smoak, Garcia and Narvaez all are said to be good teammates which is huge when there are only so many at-bats to go around.

Counsell is now responsible for finding the best way to implement and get the most out of this versatile roster. I for one am confident he will find a way to keep everyone happy and the team in contention. I know on paper there never seem to be enough at-bats to go around but in a 162 game season there will always be untimely injuries and prolonged slumps which will need to be addressed. So I’m not worried about everyone getting ample playing time if their production warrants it.

Count me in on like this signing as well. He seems one that you can pretty much trust to do what he's been doing. Combine him with all the other low cost guys they've picked up and you'd think they'd be able to get at least average production from SS/3B this year. And have lots of options for late game D subs for Keston, Braun, etc.

I think someone else just said it too, but this is really a bigger indictment on other teams that you would say are more clear contenders not grabbing this guy as their super sub and backup at multiple spots. But, I'll take him.

Count me in on like this signing as well. He seems one that you can pretty much trust to do what he's been doing. Combine him with all the other low cost guys they've picked up and you'd think they'd be able to get at least average production from SS/3B this year. And have lots of options for late game D subs for Keston, Braun, etc.

I think someone else just said it too, but this is really a bigger indictment on other teams that you would say are more clear contenders not grabbing this guy as their super sub and backup at multiple spots. But, I'll take him.

Stearns has made a lot of signings that by themselves aren't exciting, but make sense when added all together. Holt plays a lot of positions and mashes RHP. As an everyday player, he's okay, but as a guy who starts against righties and sits against lefties, he's very good. We have a number of guys who Counsell can mix and match together to put good lineups on the field everyday with solid reserves to come in for late-game match-ups.

Yelich, Hiura, Narvaez, and maybe Urias when he's healthy are the only guys who should be guaranteed "everyday" play. Everyone else should start when the match-up is favorable and sit when it makes sense for someone else to start.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Stearns has made a lot of signings that by themselves aren't exciting, but make sense when added all together. Holt plays a lot of positions and mashes RHP. As an everyday player, he's okay, but as a guy who starts against righties and sits against lefties, he's very good. We have a number of guys who Counsell can mix and match together to put good lineups on the field everyday with solid reserves to come in for late-game match-ups.

Yelich, Hiura, Narvaez, and maybe Urias when he's healthy are the only guys who should be guaranteed "everyday" play. Everyone else should start when the match-up is favorable and sit when it makes sense for someone else to start.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived