Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Brock Holt

Brewcrewin07
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of people were interested in this guy in the off season thread, being one of them I'm pretty happy about this.

Boy is this a shot at Arcia though. Urias is going to miss some time. They bring in Holt. Pushes Sogard off 3b more and really limits the ABs for Arcia at SS.

They didn't just add him for a month or 2. Arcia is in VERY hot water now.

It's crazy seeing the Holt Gyorko platoon topping Moose. Congrats to the Red for paying money.

I like this signing! I like how Holt profiles offensively & defensively. This also complicates the roster picture in a good way:

Current IFs (8): Braun, Smoak, Hiura, Urias, Arcia, Holt, Sogard, Gyorko

Current OFs (5): Braun, Yelich, Cain, Garcia, Gamel

That's 12 right there (noting that I listed Braun twice). +2 catchers = 14 hitters. Does that mean they're likely to carry 12 pitchers? I kind of doubt it....

Barring injuries, that has to mean at least one of those guys doesn't make the team.

- I believe Gamel wasn't down long enough in '19 to burn his last option, so he could end up in AAA, but he's really your 4th OF if Braun's playing 1B.

- None of the other OFs are going away anywhere.

- Short of a horrid slump, Hiura's up for good.

I have to think that unless Urias is injured or is so ineffective that he needs to go to AAA, Arcia's grip on spot is very tenuous -- very possibly trade bait or a candidate to be released.

I also have to think this means that Healy, Morrison, Peterson, Broxton, Mathias, Rodriguez (farewell 40-man spot?) and anyone else is already rubber-stamped for AAA.

My apologies in advance and if anyone already made this reference...

The Brewers signed (throws hands in air) Brock Holt.

In all seriousness, seems like a good depth signing, but unsure what it means for the roster construction.

Brock Holt \o/

I like that Red Sox fans seem almost universally devastated by not re-signing him, it's a goood sign.

This move also further speaks to the concept of trying to avoid the black holes in the lineup. Individually you could point to flaws in almost every infield option the Brewers have, but between Urias, Sogard, Arcia, Gyorko, Holt, Morrison, Healy, Smoak, Braun, Rodriguez, Mathias it's almost certain that they'll man 1B, 3B and SS (I trust in Hiura) competently. Even if it'll take some juggling.

I like this signing! I like how Holt profiles offensively & defensively. This also complicates the roster picture in a good way:

Current IFs (8): Braun, Smoak, Hiura, Urias, Arcia, Holt, Sogard, Gyorko

Current OFs (5): Braun, Yelich, Cain, Garcia, Gamel

That's 12 right there (noting that I listed Braun twice). +2 catchers = 14 hitters. Does that mean they're likely to carry 12 pitchers? I kind of doubt it....

Barring injuries, that has to mean at least one of those guys doesn't make the team.

- I believe Gamel wasn't down long enough in '19 to burn his last option, so he could end up in AAA, but he's really your 4th OF if Braun's playing 1B.

- None of the other OFs are going away anywhere.

- Short of a horrid slump, Hiura's up for good.

I have to think that unless Urias is injured or is so ineffective that he needs to go to AAA, Arcia's grip on spot is very tenuous -- very possibly trade bait or a candidate to be released.

I also have to think this means that Healy, Morrison, Peterson, Broxton, Mathias, Rodriguez (farewell 40-man spot?) and anyone else is already rubber-stamped for AAA.

With Urias hurt to start things work out. Once he comes back look for Arcia or Gamel to go down. With Braun and Holt able to play corner OF spots, Gamel makes the most sense. However if CC is really going to give Urias a legit shot at SS, Arcia might be the one going to San Antonio with Sogard being the backup SS. Either way, Holt was a good signing.

I see this more likely as Urias is going to start the year on IL/AAA til he's fully healthy and We'll see Holt/Gyorko at 3B and Sogard/Arcia at SS.

Allowing Urias to get completely healed and not have to find his way back to 100% on a MLB roster will be huge for his development.

Good, now we can trade Sogard to the Cubs...(light blue)

They can't afford him. :laughing

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I see this more likely as Urias is going to start the year on IL/AAA til he's fully healthy and We'll see Holt/Gyorko at 3B and Sogard/Arcia at SS.

Allowing Urias to get completely healed and not have to find his way back to 100% on a MLB roster will be huge for his development.

That is true.

Holt has played all three outfield positions and three out of four infield positions.

He's Hernan Perez's direct replacement, albeit he hits for average and has very good OBP skills.Perez had speed and some power.

And the Crew doesn't need to trade or DFA anyone. Just put Urias on the 60-day disabled list. He becomes eligible to return on April 18.

That is true.

Holt has played all three outfield positions and three out of four infield positions.

He's Hernan Perez's direct replacement, albeit he hits for average and has very good OBP skills.Perez had speed and some power.

And the Crew doesn't need to trade or DFA anyone. Just put Urias on the 60-day disabled list. He becomes eligible to return on April 18.

They just showed Counsell and Holt's numbers through 639 games on mlb network and they were basically identical, heh.

OK, it’s official, Holt will never sit vs RHP. Unless “Holty” needs a rest.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

They just showed Counsell and Holt's numbers through 639 games on mlb network and they were basically identical, heh.

OK, it’s official, Holt will never sit vs RHP. Unless “Holty” needs a rest.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

That is true.

I don't believe you can backdate that far

That is true.

I don't believe you can backdate that far

Love the Holt signing! He is a great addition to this roster. The Garcia and Holt signings were the two I really liked this offseason. The roster construction is a little odd though as it sits. Not including Healy, we are at 14 batters on the roster.

Positional Versatility Shown Below

1B: Braun/Smoak/Holt

2B: Hiura/Urias/Holt/Sogard

SS: Urias/Sogard/Arcia/Holt

3B Gyorko/Sogard/Holt

OF: Yelich/Cain/Garcia/Braun/Holt/Gamel

C: Narvaez/Pina

Arcia seems way too redundant at this point. Holt can be the emergency SS as well making Arcia essentially roster filler at this point. It is an option to put one of Gamel or Arcia in the minors to make it fit. I feel like Gamel will be the one to make the roster as a defensive replacement/pinch hitter/pinch runner and should get that last roster spot. I think Arcia will most likely be traded for a lower level minor leaguer or possibly be DFA’d prior to the season to get the majority of their money back. A trade seems the most likely at this point as I think some team like the Orioles would give him a shot to try to find himself.

Love the Holt signing! He is a great addition to this roster. The Garcia and Holt signings were the two I really liked this offseason. The roster construction is a little odd though as it sits. Not including Healy, we are at 14 batters on the roster.

Positional Versatility Shown Below

1B: Braun/Smoak/Holt

2B: Hiura/Urias/Holt/Sogard

SS: Urias/Sogard/Arcia/Holt

3B Gyorko/Sogard/Holt

OF: Yelich/Cain/Garcia/Braun/Holt/Gamel

C: Narvaez/Pina

Arcia seems way too redundant at this point. Holt can be the emergency SS as well making Arcia essentially roster filler at this point. It is an option to put one of Gamel or Arcia in the minors to make it fit. I feel like Gamel will be the one to make the roster as a defensive replacement/pinch hitter/pinch runner and should get that last roster spot. I think Arcia will most likely be traded for a lower level minor leaguer or possibly be DFA’d prior to the season to get the majority of their money back. A trade seems the most likely at this point as I think some team like the Orioles would give him a shot to try to find himself.

Archived