Brewer Fanatic

RIP Tony Fernandez

DocLuna7
RIP to 2001 Brewers third baseman Tony Fernandez who passed away yesterday at the age of 57. Tony was obviously better known for his time in Toronto and maybe the Yankees but he did play in 28 games for the Crew in his final season, part of a 17 year big league career. https://www.wcpo.com/sports/baseball/reds/tony-fernandez-blue-jays-legend-and-former-reds-player-dies-at-57

I had Fernandez on my first fantasy teams in the mid 80s, when there weren't many ways to learn about guys. He was among my favorite players of the era.

This SI piece was a great look at Fernandez and the early legacy of San Pedro De Macoris as a shortstop factory.

https://www.si.com/vault/1987/02/09/114833/standing-tall-at-short-with-more-than-70-shortstops-in-organized-baseball-the-tiny-impoverished-dominican-republic-has-emerged-as-the-worlds-leading-exporter-of-mediocampistas

He was recognized by his peers as the best of them. It's remarkable how he emerged from such terrible poverty to reach the top of his profession.

I'm 57, too, so when these guys die "young", it's especially meaningful to me.

RIP to the great Cabeza, who departs with praise and admiration from so many teammates.

Always loved Tony's game. There aren't many profiles more exciting than a speedy, switch hitting, slick fielding short stop.

Thought this was interesting looking at his BRef page...

Tony | 8,793 PAs | 101 OPS+ | +23 BAT | +3 BSR | +32 FLD | 45.3 WAR

Omar | 12,013 PAs | 82 OPS+ | -244 BAT | +8 BSR | +129 FLD | 45.6 WAR

Archived