Brewer Fanatic

2020 NL Central Standings Projections (Predictions Welcome)

Eye Black
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

What does a baseball nerd do on a lonely Friday night? Math! Ding ding ding!

I looked at BFs guesses for our no longer possible 162 game series and found out there was practically a 4 way tie for first place for everybody but the Pirates. The cards had a whisper of an edge on average but the Brewers easily claimed the highest median so the Brewers pessimists were pessimistier than other teams.

All in all it would have been a helluva fight for 162 games and I imagine it would for however many games (if) they play.

Cards 84.9

Brewers 84.8

Reds 84.7

Cubs 84.1

Pirates 65.6

What does a baseball nerd do on a lonely Friday night? Math! Ding ding ding!

I looked at BFs guesses for our no longer possible 162 game series and found out there was practically a 4 way tie for first place for everybody but the Pirates. The cards had a whisper of an edge on average but the Brewers easily claimed the highest median so the Brewers pessimists were pessimistier than other teams.

All in all it would have been a helluva fight for 162 games and I imagine it would for however many games (if) they play.

Cards 84.9

Brewers 84.8

Reds 84.7

Cubs 84.1

Pirates 65.6

Thanks for doing the math, I absolutely believe every one of those teams was destined to finish somewhere in the 80-89 win range. It’s unfortunate we’ll never know how it would have played out over a full season.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• 3 months later...
Community Moderator

According to Fangraphs updated ZiPS Projected Standings:

ZiPS Projected Standings, NL Central

[pre]Team W L GB PCT Div% WC% Playoff% WS Win%

Cubs 32 28 — .533 27.6% 14.5% 42.1% 3.9%

Brewers 31 29 1 .517 23.4% 13.7% 37.1% 3.3%

Cards 31 29 1 .517 21.9% 13.7% 35.6% 3.1%

Reds 31 29 1 .517 20.4% 13.3% 33.7% 2.9%

Pirates 26 34 6 .433 6.7% 7.1% 13.8% 0.9%[/pre]

• 2 weeks later...

I moved to Phoenix this Feb. and now with the few sports shows on ESPN I have no idea what's going on in baseball

I heard that Mookie Bettes went to the Dodgers and the Cards shipped out Ozuna and Wacha, but that's it! I no nothing else about our Division

Please fill me in....BTW: Arizona was a bad (covid) choice :(

Community Moderator
I moved to Phoenix this Feb. and now with the few sports shows on ESPN I have no idea what's going on in baseball

I heard that Mookie Bettes went to the Dodgers and the Cards shipped out Ozuna and Wacha, but that's it! I no nothing else about our Division

Please fill me in....BTW: Arizona was a bad (covid) choice :(

Back when there was going to be a regular old fashioned 162 game baseball season, most of the projection systems had the Brewers, Cardinals, Cubs & Reds projected within a few games of each other with the only real certainty being the Pirates in last.

Now that we're down to maybe hopefully 60 games the odds for chaos increase pretty drastically. Going off of ZiPS the Pirates went from 0.7% to make the playoffs over 162 to 6.7% over 60.

The spread for playoff odds over 162 was Cubs (39.7%), Brewers (23.0%), Cardinals (18.8%), Reds (17.8%) vs Cubs (27.6%), Brewers (23.4%), Cardinals (21.9%) & Reds (20.4%) over 60 games.

I can’t see anyone being over .500 in the NL Central with the possible exception of the Crew.

Brewers 29-31

Cards 27-33

Cubs 27-33

Reds 24-36

Pirates 24-36

But then again, I really don’t think they’ll get any more than 40 games in. I really wish they’d just call it off.

Community Moderator

NL Central > AL Central so I'll give our division an over .500 record. As for trying to predict the winner...give me some chaos.

Brewers 32-28

Reds 32-28

Cards 32-28

Cubs 32-28

Pirates 26-34

Community Moderator
I can’t see anyone being over .500 in the NL Central with the possible exception of the Crew.

Brewers 29-31

Cards 27-33

Cubs 27-33

Reds 24-36

Pirates 24-36

For these standings to be mathematically possible the NL Central would have to finish a 31-69 in the 100 combined games against the AL Central. Considering it’s a league that includes the Tigers and Royals that would be a pathetic feat.

Archived