Brewer Fanatic

Ross Stripling

Eye Black

One note for those trying to figure out a comp for Luis Rengifo, just a reminder that the Dodgers were reportedly set to give up not only Pederson and Stripling, but also a very good young prospect in outfielder Andy Pages.

The Angels were set to give up Rengifo and reports varied between 1-2 other unnamed prospects. There is no way the other prospect(s) included Jo Adell, and they probably didn’t include Brandon Marsh either, and beyond them the Angels system is somewhat comparable to the Brewers system without a lot of perceived high ceiling talent. It obviously depends more on the Dodgers evaluation of the players involved than prospect rankings, but I certainly don’t think it is impossible to envision a scenario where the Brewers could similarly match up with the Dodgers.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the Angels grabbed Rendon, it bumped La Stella and Fletcher off of 3B and therefore cut into Rengifo's ABs more than anyone. Having Rendon and Andrelton Simmons locking down the left side SEVERELY cut into the at bats that Rengifo would have otherwise had this year. He's one of those players that has solid value to a team that is only one player deep at the keystone, but far less value to the Angels. Withouth their depth chart looking the way it does, I can't imagine the Angels would have considered this trade.

Alternate theory, one Angels infielder is hurt or way out of shape, so the Angels backed out of the trade.

When the Angels grabbed Rendon, it bumped La Stella and Fletcher off of 3B and therefore cut into Rengifo's ABs more than anyone. Having Rendon and Andrelton Simmons locking down the left side SEVERELY cut into the at bats that Rengifo would have otherwise had this year. He's one of those players that has solid value to a team that is only one player deep at the keystone, but far less value to the Angels. Withouth their depth chart looking the way it does, I can't imagine the Angels would have considered this trade.

Alternate theory, one Angels infielder is hurt or way out of shape, so the Angels backed out of the trade.

From what I'm reading, the Angels plan to have Fletcher start at 2B and backup at SS. LaStella will backup 2B and 3B with Rengifo being a utility type guy. Pretty solid infield with good depth.

From what I'm reading, the Angels plan to have Fletcher start at 2B and backup at SS. LaStella will backup 2B and 3B with Rengifo being a utility type guy. Pretty solid infield with good depth.

No disagreement at all. I’m just saying that if I could turn my utility infielder into Ross Stripling, I’d do it. So the Angels pulling out of the trade seems like it might be more than just hurt feelings.

• 3 weeks later...

Brewers get:

RHP-Ross Stripling (from Dodgers)

RHP-Ty Buttery (from Angels)

OF-Andy Pages (from Dodgers)

Dodgers get:

IF-Luis Rengifo (from Angels)

OF-Tristen Lutz (from Brewers)

Angels get:

LHP-Eric Lauer (from Brewers)

IF-Eduardo Garcia (from Brewers)

Brewers get:

Dodgers get:

Angels get:

I can't imagine the Dodgers would want another OF or INF in place of a pitcher. They are loaded with talent in their OF and have so many talented infielders already. Rengifo wouldn't even come close to making their 26 man roster. It could be argued that Pages is a better prospect than Lutz. I'm not so sure the Angels make out on the deal either. The Brewers would do it in a split second. They come out way ahead of the other two teams.

Brewers get:

Dodgers get:

Angels get:

I can't imagine the Dodgers would want another OF or INF in place of a pitcher. They are loaded with talent in their OF and have so many talented infielders already. Rengifo wouldn't even come close to making their 26 man roster. It could be argued that Pages is a better prospect than Lutz. I'm not so sure the Angels make out on the deal either. The Brewers would do it in a split second. They come out way ahead of the other two teams.

The Angels completely take this trade in an instant. Brewers 2nd. Dodgers have to be scratching their head what did we just do?

Angels getting a legit SP(vs Stripling), and and Inf that is basically 3 years behind what they are giving up now all for a RP and a utility inf with less upside.

Brewers get a fit after these Spring Training games of a Swingman, a backend RP, and a superb looking international signing prospect closer to the ML team at a need 3 years from now.

Dodgers, get an Infielder to backup/start, and an OF prospect that may be a AAAA type or 4th OF.

Here are the Dodgers infielders: Muncy (1B-2B-3B) - Seager (SS) - Lux (SS-2B) - Turner (1B-2B) - Beaty (1B-3B-OF) - Hernndez (2B-SS-3B-OF), Rengifo wouldn't replace any of them. Plus they have Taylor currently listed as an OF, but he too can play 2 infield positions. They are 5-6 deep in the outfield and probably wouldn't get rid of Pages for Lutz anyway.

I questioned the Angels getting rid of their set-up guy plus a 23 yr. old proven MLB player for a questionable starter and a 17 yr old kid who is 4-5 years away. I grant you their starting rotation is poor, but does Lauer make a difference? Many are questioning if he will be starting for the Brewers or if he is better suited for the pen.

You'd think that Rengifo doesn't make a ton of sense, but obviously the Dodgers disagree. They were, after all, about to send Stripling and Pederson to the Angels in exchange for, among others, Rengifo. So trading Stripling for an infielder is clearly something they're fine with.

You'd think that Rengifo doesn't make a ton of sense, but obviously the Dodgers disagree. They were, after all, about to send Stripling and Pederson to the Angels in exchange for, among others, Rengifo. So trading Stripling for an infielder is clearly something they're fine with.

I just think they were trying to get under the luxury tax level and were happy to get something back. This doesn't mean that they thought Rengifo was equal in value to what they were giving up, or that he was someone they were really going after, just that the move would cut the payroll enough to get them below the luxury tax.

I believe that if the Brewers (or most other teams) are willing to pick up the extra salary, they could work a deal with the Dodgers where they would get more talent than they are giving up.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived