Brewer Fanatic

Ross Stripling

Eye Black

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm right there with you. Before I saw this thread, I replied to a post in the Major Leagues forum, espousing something like this...

"I think that you make a similar deal - take Pederson for a year to get Stripling. Stripling is interesting and Pederson isn't exactly a scrub sitting on the bench - in fact he could turn out to be an asset that you can use or flip at the deadine."

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

We don't exactly know what LAD was all getting but they are looking for roster space and cap space Joc and Stripling are both very interesting to me.

Joc/Gamel 4th OF platoon works well.

Stripling would be a fantastic option to add into the bottom group of our potential starters.

What. What is this? Lets put 5OF starters for 3positions? Find Braun at 1b for playing time. Find Pederson a platoon?! For a 4th OF? Talk about a move to disgruntle Pederson by the Dodgers. A terrible use of roster space by Stearns. No the Dodgers wouldnt do that to Pederson. Stearns wouldnt do that for this roster. Dodgers can move Pederson to a team that will actually start him.

We can/could do a deal for Stripling on his own. But I don't see the need. It fills the anxious posters needs here towards the SP heading in to ST. But we have 6 SPs to work with right now. A 7th to 9th that lurks in AAA who can fill out needs as the season dictates. Stripling hasnt exceeded 128IP in a season for his Professional Career. His stats look favorable due to over 1/3rd of his career as a RP. Bring him as a SP he sits at 3.71ERA in that role. A 5IP starter swingman basically. I just see him as redundant to the depth already in place that fit a swingman SP/RP role. The ceiling on that depth potentially higher to pull from that Stripling's.

Find Pederson a platoon?! For a 4th OF? Talk about a move to disgruntle Pederson by the Dodgers. A terrible use of roster space by Stearns. No the Dodgers wouldnt do that to Pederson. Stearns wouldnt do that for this roster. Dodgers can move Pederson to a team that will actually start him.

Whether he stays with the Dodgers or moves to another team Pederson is going to be a platoon player going primarily against righties only. Last year Pederson had a .920 OPS against RHPs and a .505 OPS against LHPs, and for his career it’s not much better (.860 OPS versus a .572 OPS). If a team traded for him to be an everyday starter than it would likely be a non-playoff competitor.

We can/could do a deal for Stripling on his own. But I don't see the need. It fills the anxious posters needs here towards the SP heading in to ST. But we have 6 SPs to work with right now. A 7th to 9th that lurks in AAA who can fill out needs as the season dictates. Stripling hasnt exceeded 128IP in a season for his Professional Career. His stats look favorable due to over 1/3rd of his career as a RP. Bring him as a SP he sits at 3.71ERA in that role. A 5IP starter swingman basically. I just see him as redundant to the depth already in place that fit a swingman SP/RP role. The ceiling on that depth potentially higher to pull from that Stripling's.

I think looking at the Brewers current group of initial out-getters and saying there isn’t room to add any more talent is a mistake, especially when the move would add quality towards the top. Stripling is seemingly a better pitcher than the majority of those options the Brewers currently have. His ability and potential willingness to serve in both a starter and relief role is the exact type of flexibility the Brewers should desire. If Stripling is available via trade, I can’t think of many better fits to add to the Brewers current pitching group.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

For a team that is built on depth and position versatility this would make sense. Joc can play OF and !B. Stripling can start or relieve. Peterson punishes RH pitching. I believe Gamel has options left if there is a logjam on the major league team. Stripling is better than some of the guys we are counting on. Depending on the cost of course. Rengifo and a couple of lower level prospects is what they were getting. Seems we could swing a deal like that.

I'm on the fence about this idea. Its easy to say "Lets get that guy" but I am curious though as to what would be required to get those players. I've yet to see any names bandied about. The cupboard isn't bare but the farm isn't overflowing with talent.

I’d be good with just getting Stripling but Pederson is intriguing also.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Based on 700 PA per position:

LF - Garcia (350), Braun (250), Pederson (100)

CF - Cain (500), Pederson (200)

RF - Yelich (600), Garcia (100)

1B - Smoak (400), Braun (200), Pederson (100)

Yelich - 600

Cain - 500

Braun - 450

Garcia - 450

Smoak - 400

Pederson - 400

Thats an easy way to project Pederson into our roster structure. He replaces Gamel and lightens the load on Cain/Braun to keep them fresh throughout the year and covers us for the inevitable injury.

Stripling seems like the perfect Counsell pitcher. Stripling is basically what we hope Houser will become.

Between Houser/Stripling you have 30-40 above average starts and another 40-50 solid BP appearances.

I'm on the fence about this idea. Its easy to say "Lets get that guy" but I am curious though as to what would be required to get those players. I've yet to see any names bandied about. The cupboard isn't bare but the farm isn't overflowing with talent.

After the recent trades, the Dodgers reportedly have 42 players they need to fit on the 40-man roster. Stripling had pretty much been thrown into a deal to clear Pederson's salary (and free up a roster spot) where the return was a young player that projects best as a utility guy.

They may just opt to slash a couple fringy players off the back end of the 40-man roster, but the deal that didn't happen with the Angels sure makes it look like they may be willing to do some deals that could end up being bargains for the trading partner.

I think both would help out this team obviously. Not sure if this is an opportunity that Mark is willing to pay 10 million for however. The good news is that Joc is only a one year commitment and Stripling isn't super expensive after this year either.

For a team that is built on depth and position versatility this would make sense. Joc can play OF and !B. Stripling can start or relieve. Peterson punishes RH pitching. I believe Gamel has options left if there is a logjam on the major league team. Stripling is better than some of the guys we are counting on. Depending on the cost of course. Rengifo and a couple of lower level prospects is what they were getting. Seems we could swing a deal like that.

I just can't see Stearns paying $7.8M for a guy to be a platoon player. If anything, try and swing a deal for Stripling alone, but Peterson makes no sense given budget constraints.

I could see a soft platoon in CF with Cain and Peterson with each getting half the starts and Cain being used defensively late in games he doesn't start. Peterson's experience at 1B is limited but he might be able to dislodge Smoak if he's adequate. It's not like they're paying Smoak all that much. There really are no everyday players on this team other than Yelich and Hiura anyway and Yelich needs 10-15 off days to keep him sharp. Why not have starting caliber players being used to mix and match everywhere else and be protected against injury all over the diamond?

I would be very interested in acquiring Pederson and Stripling. Who is the Brewers equivalent of Luis Rengifo? https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rengilu01.shtml

Luis Urias would be about the closest I can see in comparison to age, levels reached and MLB experience. After that no one is even close. Just thinking if Milw went this route, they would have an OF mix at 62mil contract costs.

Bats vs LHP would be:

Yelich

Cain

Garcia

Braun 1b

Bats vs RHP would be:

Yelich

Pederson CF

Garcia/Braun

Smoak 1b

Gamel doesn't get starts anymore via splits vs starters he's not winning any. If you bat Pederson at 1b vs RHP you have no reason to keep Smoak. He does better vs RHP and Braun is the platoon for him vs LHP.

So fitting is reliant on bumping Cain out of the Starters role and making him the short part of the platoon in CF. Have we thought this through enough yet? 16mil for Cain to get under 350 PAs Or Give Cain the 500PAs and bump Garcia to under 350PAs.

Gotta find a trade partner for Garcia to make this work. Imagine that? You signed him, and now you have to trade him. I think there is a limitation on that? I think that was mentioned somewhere. Just doesn't work with Garcia/Braun/Cain/Smoak. It works when you have any of those 4 on the DL for a longer period. Pederson deserves no PAs taking away from Yelich.

Stripling has 3years of control at the age of 30. Good for 20-24Starts and the rest in the Bullpen. Or just Bullpen all together. So he'll never be too expensive.

If it takes Urias to get these two, you're looking at the Medical issues and waiting in to the season? So let's turn this all upside down and bring the trade idea around to Hader for these 2 plus.

I just can't see Stearns paying $7.8M for a guy to be a platoon player. If anything, try and swing a deal for Stripling alone, but Peterson makes no sense given budget constraints.

A lefty hitter in a strict platoon is not a part time player. They're probably starting at least 2 out of 3 games, if not 3 out of 4.

We just paid Thames 6m for 350 pa last season, I could see the extra 1-2m for another 50-100 PA.

Doesn't Gamel has an option left? It doesn't seem like having both him and Pederson on the bench makes sense as they'd essentially be the same player, except Joc has shown he could be a very useful hitter.

I'd like to get Ross and Joc though. Figure out what to do with Gamel after that.

Indeed. If you're unsure because of Gamel, then you're probably rating Gamel far too highly...

As always, the cost would be the issue. I wouldn't imagine it would be too painful, considering they (apparently) feel a need to shed salary.

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Based on 700 PA per position:

LF - Garcia (350), Braun (250), Pederson (100)

CF - Cain (500), Pederson (200)

RF - Yelich (600), Garcia (100)

1B - Smoak (400), Braun (200), Pederson (100)

Yelich - 600

Cain - 500

Braun - 450

Garcia - 450

Smoak - 400

Pederson - 400

If we get on the load management train this looks pretty sharp. Since CC thinks all 13 bats are starters this could help him actually play guys who should start. Joc would be a lot of Cain Braun Smoak insurance.

Archived