Brewer Fanatic

Packer Offseason Thread: Latest- Packers Sign Kenny Clark- 4 years/$70 Million

LouisEly
Why does Pete Carroll get more love than Mike McCarthy?

I don't have a big problem with that. The track records are fairly similar, so I'd give the tiebreaker to the guy who has been in one more Super Bowl.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Technically Peppers was a Packer for three seasons. Some reactions from writers said they would have put Sitton in at guard instead of Jahri Evans, who technically was also a Packer for a season.

Jimmy Graham had an almost identical career as Rob Gronkowski both in years and counting stats, but, of course, Gronk was on Super Bowl teams.

I’m glad to see Peppers recieive the honor, but he just fits a different category for me personally. My enduring memory of him is telling Morgan Burnett to get down after an interception in the NFC championship game. I don’t really consider him a Packer, but rather a good player who played for the Packers (like Seth Joyner, Wesley Walls, or Jeff Saturday).

I saw a Yahoo article claiming Drew Brees was snubbed because of his ridiculous counting stats (and probably his general likability); however, you can objectively look at their records and see that Rodgers was better this past decade:

Rodgers: 96-45-1 (0.680), 10-7 Playoffs

Brees: 95-58 (0.621), 4-6 Playoffs

Rodgers played in 11 fewer games, but still had 1 more win. In defense of Brees, it’s unfortunate this decade excludes his Super Bowl winning season from 2009 (but still includes Rodgers’ championship).

Its all a "paper honor" anyway. Distraction for the lack of any real sports news. No one is going to tell his grandkids, "I made the 2010-2019 all-decade team".

Oh, totally. This is what we’ve been reduced to.

Although, if I made the all-decade team at work, I’d probably brag about it to someone. Unlikely though since I’m on BF.net at 2:00 pm. :)

I’m looking for a die hard Packer fan who can help me connect the dots: Why wasn’t Andy Reid hired as the Packers’ head coach after the 1998 season?

Here’s the timeline of events as I understand it:

Jan 3, 1999 - 49ers defeat Packers in Wild Card playoff (even though Jerry Rice fumbled); My childhood ends

Jan 8, 1999 - Mike Holmgren leaves the Packers for an 8-year, fully guaranteed contract to be the HC/GM in Seattle

Jan 11, 1999 - Ray Rhodes hired as HC of the Packers; no other candidates were interviewed

Jan 11, 1999 - Andy Reid hired as HC of the Eagles

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
At the time Reid was 2nd youngest head coach in the league and had never had a job above QB coach. I think Wolf like Rhodes fire and brimstone style.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

According to Wikipedia, Reid was the QB coach and AHC in 1997 and 1998. I recall being surprised by the jump from QB coach to HC at the time, but wasn’t aware of the AHC title. If Reid was too young, then why didn’t Sherman Lewis get an interview? He would have been about 55 at the time with 9 seasons as an assistant in San Francisco and another 7 as the OC in Green Bay (w/ 4 Super Bowls along the way). ‘Ray Rhodes or Bust’ just seems like an odd strategy ... both in a historical context and at the time.

I thought Sherman Lewis did get an interview (or maybe I'm thinking elsewhere). I remember dreading Lewis being the HC. He was a good detail orientated/planning level coach, but wasn't really a leader.

But frankly, I think hiring Reid over Rhodes and Lewis would've raised some eyebrows. I thought Rhodes was going to be a good coach for us at the time. I don't think anyone could've predicted how badly Rhodes did and how good Reid eventually ended up being.

I thought Sherman Lewis did get an interview (or maybe I'm thinking elsewhere). I remember dreading Lewis being the HC. He was a good detail orientated/planning level coach, but wasn't really a leader.

But frankly, I think hiring Reid over Rhodes and Lewis would've raised some eyebrows. I thought Rhodes was going to be a good coach for us at the time. I don't think anyone could've predicted how badly Rhodes did and how good Reid eventually ended up being.

Except that Rhodes went 6-9 in 1997, and followed it up with a 3-13 stinker in 1998 for the Eagles. He was pretty dang lucky to get another shot with the Packers.

If Andy Reid gets the job in GB, boy could history be a lot different. Revisionist history but he might’ve been one coach to keep Favre in line as he hit a mid-life crisis and his dad dying and all.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Except that Rhodes went 6-9 in 1997, and followed it up with a 3-13 stinker in 1998 for the Eagles. He was pretty dang lucky to get another shot with the Packers.

Ugh... I had a brain fart. I was thinking he went from DC to HC in GB. I forgot he left years earlier, back to the 49ers, then Eagles HC.

"But frankly, I think hiring Reid over Rhodes and Lewis would've raised some eyebrows."

I believe Reid was passed over because he was white. Lewis's role as OC wasn't that prominent because Holmgren had his fingers all over the offense. Wolf knew Sherm wasn't head coach material.

He also knew that the Packers would be murdered by the press if Reid leapfrogged Lewis at the time when the league was making a big push to have more minority coaches hired.

• 2 weeks later...

This was bouncing around Twitter earlier today:

Aaron Rodgers has only thrown 1 of his 364 TD passes to a first round draft pick and that was to Marcedes Lewis in 2019. Here are the totals from some of his contemporaries:

Peyton Manning - 293 of 539

Brett Favre - 127 of 508

Tom Brady - 107 of 541

Drew Brees - 104 of 547

Ben Roethlisberger - 69 of 363

Philip Rivers - 35 of 397

Here’s where I think most of Favre’s came from: Sterling Sharpe (42), Bubba Franks (32), Javon Walker (22), Terry Glenn (2). That’s 98. The rest must have come from his final 3 years. Desmond Howard did not have a receiving TD in 1996 or 1999. Did I miss a Packer?

How soon we forget Andre Rison and Mark Ingram.

With Minnesota - Percy Harvin, Randy Moss

I totally overlooked Rison, but upon closer inspection, he only had 1 regular season TD with Green Bay in 1996. Mark Ingram Sr. had 3 from Favre in 1995. Randy Moss had 2 from Favre in 2010 when they were both wearing purple.

1st round picks are nice. How would that look like if you counted TDs from WRs that went to at least one Pro-Bowl? That group of DD, Jennings, Cobb, Nelson and Adams was a really talented group of guys. Given Rodgers was throwing to them for a good chunk of his career, why would you be drafting 1st round WRs? Granted, they didn't transition off those players well...

I’m pretty shocked at those now moving the discussion that the Packers haven’t surrounded Rodgers with talented players offensively. It truly is nuts.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I’m pretty shocked at those now moving the discussion that the Packers haven’t surrounded Rodgers with talented players offensively. It truly is nuts.

I generally agree, but the Packers have invited the question by using their first pick on the other side of the ball for 8 straight years.

I generally agree, but the Packers have invited the question by using their first pick on the other side of the ball for 8 straight years.

[sarcasm]And now they pick an offensive player and people still complain! They can't win![/sarcasm]

How soon we forget Andre Rison and Mark Ingram.

With Minnesota - Percy Harvin, Randy Moss

I totally overlooked Rison, but upon closer inspection, he only had 1 regular season TD with Green Bay in 1996. Mark Ingram Sr. had 3 from Favre in 1995. Randy Moss had 2 from Favre in 2010 when they were both wearing purple.

Just to chip in another part of the answer, Keith Jackson (1st round pick in 1988) caught 1 TD for the Packers in 1995 and 10 in 1996.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackKe00.htm

Looking over the starters for the Packers during Favre's tenure, Darrell Thompson caught a TD in 1992...but I don't know if that was when Favre was playing QB.

EDIT: Thomas Jones caught 2 TDs for the Jets during Favre's season there as well.

To be an even comparison, all the FAs that Favre threw probably should be excluded from consideration. If its to compare how the team invested draft capitol in support of a superstar QB, FAs (especially ones that were low-cost FAs or end of career trades) don't really support the narrative.

Archived