Brewer Fanatic

Packer Offseason Thread: Latest- Packers Sign Kenny Clark- 4 years/$70 Million

LouisEly
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
He's an upgrade over everyone on that receiving corp not named Adams and Lazard. He will come in, compete for a spot, and if he doesn't make it they'll cut him with minimal issue. Not a big deal really. Low risk, decent reward.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's an upgrade over everyone on that receiving corp not named Adams and Lazard. He will come in, compete for a spot, and if he doesn't make it they'll cut him with minimal issue. Not a big deal really. Low risk, decent reward.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

He runs like a TE (4.70 40-time at the combine).

And ran a 4.47 at Michigan's pro day, just for the record.

Yeah, he isn't a burner, but that combine 40 time was considered an aberration at the time, and it still is to this day. But if you don't like the guy, it's an easy number to grab onto. He doesn't really play like a 4.47 guy, either, though. What he is is a huge target with an enormous wingspan who can theoretically create mismatch problems with CBs due to his size, and on safeties and LBs due to his speed.

I like Allen Lazard, but Funchess is basically a more talented version of him. The ceiling is higher, but because Lazard seems possibly a little more technically skilled and probably brings better hands to the table, he has a higher floor.

Yeah, he isn't a burner, but that combine 40 time was considered an aberration at the time, and it still is to this day. But if you don't like the guy, it's an easy number to grab onto. He doesn't really play like a 4.47 guy, either, though. What he is is a huge target with an enormous wingspan who can theoretically create mismatch problems with CBs due to his size, and on safeties and LBs due to his speed.

I like Allen Lazard, but Funchess is basically a more talented version of him. The ceiling is higher, but because Lazard seems possibly a little more technically skilled and probably brings better hands to the table, he has a higher floor.

So would Cephas' 40 time at the combine be considered an aberration? I suppose we will have to wait and see...

So would Cephas' 40 time at the combine be considered an aberration? I suppose we will have to wait and see...

Cephus improved his time to a 4.56 at UW's pro day, so yeah, I'd say what he did at the combine is definitely an aberration. He's certainly not known as a burner either, but no one expected that slow time he put up at the combine. That Pro Day time is probably much more in line with what can be expected from him speed wise.

Cephus improved his time to a 4.56 at UW's pro day, so yeah, I'd say what he did at the combine is definitely an aberration. He's certainly not known as a burner either, but no one expected that slow time he put up at the combine. That Pro Day time is probably much more in line with what can be expected from him speed wise.

1. Adams

3. Funchess

4. Lazard

5. Kumerow

6. MVS/St. Brown/Begelton/or Shepherd

Fill that with a legit #2 and it looks way better than last year.

Could probably flip Lazard and Funchess either way, but we need another threat.

1. Adams

3. Funchess

4. Lazard

5. Kumerow

1. Adams

3. Funchess

4. Lazard

5. Kumerow

Fill that with a legit #2 and it looks way better than last year

Yep. I fully expect a reasonably high draft pick, but not sure if they'll slot a rookie in as the #2 right away. I'd feel better with one more vet, but there's not a ton left out there.

1. Adams

3. Funchess

4. Lazard

5. Kumerow

Fill that with a legit #2 and it looks way better than last year

Yep. I fully expect a reasonably high draft pick, but not sure if they'll slot a rookie in as the #2 right away. I'd feel better with one more vet, but there's not a ton left out there.

1. Adams

3. Funchess

4. Lazard

5. Kumerow

Sure, but that was true before the offseason started, and who is out there for a 2 now?

Emmanuel Sanders was the 2.

It's a great WR draft class this year, but as with any rookie wideout, there's a learning curve and you probably won't see an immediate return on your investment.

1. Adams

3. Funchess

4. Lazard

5. Kumerow

Sure, but that was true before the offseason started, and who is out there for a 2 now?

Emmanuel Sanders was the 2.

It's a great WR draft class this year, but as with any rookie wideout, there's a learning curve and you probably won't see an immediate return on your investment.

Looked through the numbers of guys Gute has brought in at WRs to get the best feel for his type. Granted most were brought in pre MLF but Funchess confirms his type a little more. 6’3 and taller 205 in weight. 78 wingspan, 33 1/2 arms, 9 1/2 Hands is a low end body type profile. 40 times are not a huge concern. Vert helps but not all were big leaders. Overall, he loves catch radius and size/length that goes with it. They raved in camp last year about living big slots & hyped up Allison for that role. This list isn’t my wish list but guys who fit the profile best based on body type. I’d love a smaller speed guy like Reagor or Hamler or a all around guy like Jefferson personally but just going of the type... a list of guys who fit. Sheppard is only WR who is nowhere near the body type. Adams was TT but well built & a leaper.

T. Higgins, Clemson 6’4 215

D. Mims, Baylor 6’3 207

B. Edwards, South Carolina 6’3 212

M. Pittman Jr, USC 6’4 223

C. Claypool, Notre Dame 6’4 238

D. Peoples-Jones, Michigan 6’2 212

A Gandy Golden, Liberty 6’4 223

V. Jefferson, Florida 6’2 200

J. Jennings, Tennessee 6’3 215

G. Davis, UCF 6’2 216

I. Hodgins Oregon St 6’4 210

C. Johnson Texas 6’6 222

On the list I’d say my top 10 would be

1. Mims

2. Higgins

3. Peoples Jones

4. Pittman Jr

5. G. Davis

6. Claypool

7. V. Jefferson

8. B. Edwards

9. C. Johnson

10. Gandy Golden

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Looked through the numbers of guys Gute has brought in at WRs to get the best feel for his type. Granted most were brought in pre MLF but Funchess confirms his type a little more. 6’3 and taller 205 in weight. 78 wingspan, 33 1/2 arms, 9 1/2 Hands is a low end body type profile. 40 times are not a huge concern. Vert helps but not all were big leaders. Overall, he loves catch radius and size/length that goes with it. They raved in camp last year about living big slots & hyped up Allison for that role. This list isn’t my wish list but guys who fit the profile best based on body type. I’d love a smaller speed guy like Reagor or Hamler or a all around guy like Jefferson personally but just going of the type... a list of guys who fit. Sheppard is only WR who is nowhere near the body type. Adams was TT but well built & a leaper.

T. Higgins, Clemson 6’4 215

D. Mims, Baylor 6’3 207

B. Edwards, South Carolina 6’3 212

M. Pittman Jr, USC 6’4 223

C. Claypool, Notre Dame 6’4 238

D. Peoples-Jones, Michigan 6’2 212

A Gandy Golden, Liberty 6’4 223

V. Jefferson, Florida 6’2 200

J. Jennings, Tennessee 6’3 215

G. Davis, UCF 6’2 216

I. Hodgins Oregon St 6’4 210

C. Johnson Texas 6’6 222

On the list I’d say my top 10 would be

1. Mims

2. Higgins

3. Peoples Jones

4. Pittman Jr

5. G. Davis

6. Claypool

7. V. Jefferson

8. B. Edwards

9. C. Johnson

10. Gandy Golden

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Sounds like another version of Allison. I keep reading about his inconsistency and drops though. I'm sure Rodgers will be overjoyed...

You're being way to kind to Allison, who has never exceeded 303 yards in a season. Every one of Funchess's seasons, save for his injury lost 2019, has been significantly better than Allison's 'best' season.

I was trying to compare player profiles and how they would fit with the Packers. Both are similar heights and speed (though Funch is much heavier). Both have similar inconsistencies with catching the ball. I agree that Funch has more upside.

Playerprofiler calculated the "catchable pass percentage" for both players, then divides that by the actually catches for a "True Catch Rate" -- trying to normalize for the QB effects.

If you compare Allison's 2019 with Funch's 2018 (to get a comparable game sample size), they both had ~76% TCR.

Sounds like another version of Allison. I keep reading about his inconsistency and drops though. I'm sure Rodgers will be overjoyed...

You're being way to kind to Allison, who has never exceeded 303 yards in a season. Every one of Funchess's seasons, save for his injury lost 2019, has been significantly better than Allison's 'best' season.

I was trying to compare player profiles and how they would fit with the Packers. Both are similar heights and speed (though Funch is much heavier). Both have similar inconsistencies with catching the ball. I agree that Funch has more upside.

Playerprofiler calculated the "catchable pass percentage" for both players, then divides that by the actually catches for a "True Catch Rate" -- trying to normalize for the QB effects.

If you compare Allison's 2019 with Funch's 2018 (to get a comparable game sample size), they both had ~76% TCR.

Archived