Brewer Fanatic

Packer Offseason Thread: Latest- Packers Sign Kenny Clark- 4 years/$70 Million

LouisEly

840yds receiving in 2017. 2nd rd pick. 6'4" and young. That is addressing the WR corps. You gotta like this. Even more so if he becomes the 2 and moves Lazard to slot.

Though deep threat may not be Funchess considering the career longs. If he has blocking skills though, that would be huge ling up Jace, Lazard on one side of the field with him.

Dug in to draft preview on him. He was a TE moved to WR. Can be a matchup nightmare, wins hand battles, good intermediate threat. Has drop issues.

Perfect. He will be a blocking WR. A threat for 10-15yds downfield to open the shallow routes, or catch 1st downs.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funchess is terrible. He has one of the worst catch percentages in the NFL on balls thrown his way. His hands suck and he's finished 2 of his 5 seasons on the IR.

It's early in the offseason but so far I don't see how a Packer team that was already substantially worse than their actual 2019 record has improved in any way.

Funchess is terrible. He has one of the worst catch percentages in the NFL on balls thrown his way. His hands suck and he's finished 2 of his 5 seasons on the IR.

It's early in the offseason but so far I don't see how a Packer team that was already substantially worse than their actual 2019 record has improved in any way.

You think having Cam Newton throwing balls has anything to do with it? I would. Fungess' 840 yard season Newton had a worse completion pct than Funchess did when targeted.

Eh, reading more he does have a drop problem. Still no doubt, hes better than MVS. As to the IR, last season for the Colts, and last game of the other season. So that's misleading. He had a 13mil contract for Indy last season. Im sure the Packers see a discount with upside opportunity here.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I’ll reserve judgement on the Funchess signing until I see the numbers.

Funchess at $10 million? Hate.

Funchess at $2 million? Love.

I agree with this. Anything around $6 million or below is fine. I would have preferred Breshad Perriman, but Funchess is still young and has some upside. He doesn't have great hands, but is a huge target with solid speed. He is a better version of Geronimo Allison, and I expect him to him to play a similar role. I'd like to see them take a flyer on a younger speed guy like Demarcus Robinson or Tajae Sharpe. Taylor Gabriel would be a fun toy as well.

Funchess is a solid FA pickup assuming it is cheap. I still would like them to get someone a bit more relevant in FA and then draft someone somewhat high....not sure what is left on the open market though.

He isn't flashy, but an upgrade none the less.

He doesn't have great hands, but is a huge target with solid speed.

Is the comment about his hands related to his targeted completion percentage? Whether yes or no, I do wonder if he'll be viewed as a better pass catcher when he has a HOF QB throwing to him rather than Cam Newton and his career 59% completion percentage....

Is the comment about his hands related to his targeted completion percentage? Whether yes or no, I do wonder if he'll be viewed as a better pass catcher when he has a HOF QB throwing to him rather than Cam Newton and his career 59% completion percentage....

It is pretty well known that Funchess has had a bit of a drop problem in his career. Of course, having an inaccurate QB throwing him the ball will play a role in that, but it's still something he needs to improve. His hands have been considered somewhat suspect going back to his time at Michigan.

Of course, Davante Adams once had a bit of a drop problem as well. He is proof that a talented receiver can overcome that.

It is pretty well known that Funchess has had a bit of a drop problem in his career. Of course, having an inaccurate QB throwing him the ball will play a role in that, but it's still something he needs to improve. His hands have been considered somewhat suspect going back to his time at Michigan.

Of course, Davante Adams once had a bit of a drop problem as well. He is proof that a talented receiver can overcome that.

I think those are fair points. It's hard to believe he's still so young when he's been in the league for several years now.

I searched him up there was an article about him for when he signed with the Colts before last season that he had 23drops in his playing time. Played 1 game last year 5 targets 3 catches 1 drop. I did and do think the same that Newton has to be a part of completion rate to targets But drops are there. Had 5 in a game vs Detroit and that may have ended his 2018 season, not a full on injury, as the story goes on to say he was demoted multiple spots on the depth chart after that game.

The article does suggest he is better in the red zone. 6'4" just thinking he's better than MVS and Allison when it comes to defensive matchups. Maybe free up Adams just a little. Or free up Lazard, and hoping Sternberger gets more targeted chances. I'm good with the deal because he's young, was a 2nd rd pick and has had success moreso than the Packers WR corps not named Adams. Just sounds like a nice threat from 7-13yards downfield and that often will move the chains when caught. And him being a former TE in HS and Michigan the run blocking or WR screen blocking with his advantage on any CB/Safety that lines up opposite him, I am going to dream on. We lost Vitale so there's that hole to pick up. I have good feelings on Lazard/Sternberger/ and Lewis is on the field on blocking and in Jace or Lazard taking Vitale's former run blocking scheme role while in motion. You nab 1 WR in the early rounds and you've removed Allison/MVS from their poor WR roles.

I think those are fair points. It's hard to believe he's still so young when he's been in the league for several years now.

He was drafted by the Panthers as a 20-year-old out of Michigan. He didn't redshirt and came out after his junior season. Pretty sure he was one of the youngest, if not the youngest player in that 2015 draft. He's got his warts, but one of the big positives is he's entering the age where most receivers hit their athletic prime. Signing a guy like Emmanuel Sanders would have been more of a sure thing, but he's definitely a guy who is on a significant downslope of his career. Funchess, in comparison, is theoretically still on the chair lift.

At the very least, he should provide a competent red zone target and mismatch problem. His upside (should he be able to improve his hands and drop issue) is as a younger, faster and more athletic Jimmy Graham. Because let's be honest ... Graham has always been a TE in name only.

Over the Cap currently has the Funchess signing cancelling out the 7th round compensatory pick the Packers were tentatively in-line to receive for losing B.J. Goodson to the Browns at $2.4 million APY. If Funchess’ contract is in the $4-5 million range, it would cancel the 6th round compensatory pick for losing Kyler Fackrell.

"Terrible" was probably a little bit of an overstatement on Funchess on my part, but he hasn't been good at all. There's some talent and the youth is still there, but I think there's too much of an expectation from Packer fans that Rodgers is just going to be a magic elixir to maximize the capabilities of any receiver. Maybe that was true 5 or 10 years ago, but at this point in Rodgers' career his accuracy isn't always on point and a receiver who struggles gaining separation doesn't seem like a great fit for a QB who avoids throwing into tight windows whenever possible.

Anything under $5M a year would be fine value-wise, I am not sure how in the world he got $10M from the Colts last year. It doesn't really matter what kind of values we get, though; if our opening day depth chart at WR after Adams is more of the same with Funchess, Lazard and a rookie WR, we're going to continue to have an unproductive offense.

Sounds like another version of Allison. I keep reading about his inconsistency and drops though. I'm sure Rodgers will be overjoyed...

You're being way to kind to Allison, who has never exceeded 303 yards in a season. Every one of Funchess's seasons, save for his injury lost 2019, has been significantly better than Allison's 'best' season.

"Terrible" was probably a little bit of an overstatement on Funchess on my part, but he hasn't been good at all.

He had a 63 reception, 840 yard, 8 TD season in 2017, which I'd certainly qualify as good, and it isn't ancient history.

"Terrible" was probably a little bit of an overstatement on Funchess on my part, but he hasn't been good at all.

He had a 63 reception, 840 yard, 8 TD season in 2017, which I'd certainly qualify as good, and it isn't ancient history.

A lot of that is volume related. He had 111 targets that year because Newton simply didn't have any other receivers to throw to. His catch % even in that year of 56% was still quite poor.

A lot of that is volume related. He had 111 targets that year because Newton simply didn't have any other receivers to throw to. His catch % even in that year of 56% was still quite poor.

In 2017 Newton only completed 59.1% of his passes, about 22% of which went to Fun Chess. If you believe Cam was forcing the ball to Devin, the 3% differential might be representative of pass attempts under pressure being less accurate.

The hands problem is part of his reputation, and justifiably so, but I am willing to give a value signing (assuming he is one) some benefit of the doubt until we see how he performs with a more-accurate QB.

In 2017 Newton only completed 59.1% of his passes, about 22% of which went to Fun Chess. If you believe Cam was forcing the ball to Devin, the 3% differential might be representative of pass attempts under pressure being less accurate.

The hands problem is part of his reputation, and justifiably so, but I am willing to give a value signing (assuming he is one) some benefit of the doubt until we see how he performs with a more-accurate QB.

A lot of that can be attributed to Newton, though, too. Cam has never been known as an exceptionally accurate thrower. Even when he was at his best, his value came from his athleticism, capitalizing on broken plays and making quick decisions.

A lot of that can be attributed to Newton, though, too. Cam has never been known as an exceptionally accurate thrower. Even when he was at his best, his value came from his athleticism, capitalizing on broken plays and making quick decisions.

Funchess has had stone hands dating all the way back to his Michigan days. He runs like a TE (4.70 40-time at the combine). Michigan had him at TE his first couple seasons but then moved him to WR because he couldn't block (and reportedly wasn't interested in blocking and remained uninterested in blocking when he moved to WR). He is tall and can jump and that's about it.

Thing I don't like about him is that he broke his clavicle in week 1 last year and was expected to miss 6-8 weeks but then missed the entire season because it didn't heal properly. Mediocre player that sounds like an injury risk. Yeah, maybe Rodgers will make him better because I never liked Newton as a pure passer....but I still remember seeing so many passes boink right off his hands when he played for Michigan that I don't have much hope. Here's to hoping that he is completely mediocre but still makes a couple big catches that wins a couple big games.

Gutey must love the Big 10. Iowa, Wisconsin and now Michigan.

Funchess has had stone hands dating all the way back to his Michigan days. He runs like a TE (4.70 40-time at the combine). Michigan had him at TE his first couple seasons but then moved him to WR because he couldn't block (and reportedly wasn't interested in blocking and remained uninterested in blocking when he moved to WR). He is tall and can jump and that's about it.

Thing I don't like about him is that he broke his clavicle in week 1 last year and was expected to miss 6-8 weeks but then missed the entire season because it didn't heal properly. Mediocre player that sounds like an injury risk. Yeah, maybe Rodgers will make him better because I never liked Newton as a pure passer....but I still remember seeing so many passes boink right off his hands when he played for Michigan that I don't have much hope. Here's to hoping that he is completely mediocre but still makes a couple big catches that wins a couple big games.

Gutey must love the Big 10. Iowa, Wisconsin and now Michigan.

Archived