Brewer Fanatic

Packer Offseason Thread: Latest- Packers Sign Kenny Clark- 4 years/$70 Million

LouisEly
  • Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bulaga to the Chargers.

Sad day for me. I agree with this move because of the injury factor, but it's still hard to see a personal favorite move on (just like Randall Cobb, who was another personal favorite).

I pretty much find Chris Berman annoying 100% of the time, but I'll never forget when the Packers drafted Bulaga and Brian was making that walk to get the cap and handshake and Berman did the, "Woah, this guy just looks like an old-school Packer." Truer words were never spoken.

Early projections have the Packers gaining two 4th rounders and a 6th for losing Bulaga, Martinez, and Fackrell respectively at this point. Obviously, any additional signings could offset those picks. Wagner and Kirksey were both cut, and don't count in the compensation formula.

I hope they do a little more, there are some decent vet backups out there and the WR market is pretty decent. I wouldn't mind a Bortles, Allen or McCoy as a #2 on a 1 year incentive laden deal. I don't know what it would take to get Dorsett, Gabriel, Funchess. Ebron is still out there too.

Blake Bortles

Matt Moore

Colt McCoy

Brett Hundley

Brandon Allen

Trevor Siemian

Josh McCown

Mike Glennon

Robby Anderson

Breshad Perriman

Demarcus Robinson

Phillip Dorsett

Devin Funchess

Nelson Agholor

Paul Richardson

Rashard Higgins

Ted Ginn

Geronimo Allison

Tajae Sharpe

Taylor Gabriel

Demaryius Thomas

Chris Hogan

Seth Roberts

Tavon Austin

Dontrelle Inman

Silverstein reporting that the Packers have talked to Ravens' ILB Josh Bynes. Bynes rated highly overall last year, and is known as a solid run-stopper.

He said it's just talks at this point, but he seems like an interesting, low-cost option at ILB to improve the run defense.

I hope they do a little more, there are some decent vet backups out there and the WR market is pretty decent. I wouldn't mind a Bortles, Allen or McCoy as a #2 on a 1 year incentive laden deal. I don't know what it would take to get Dorsett, Gabriel, Funchess. Ebron is still out there too.

Blake Bortles

Matt Moore

Colt McCoy

Brett Hundley

Brandon Allen

Trevor Siemian

Josh McCown

Mike Glennon

Robby Anderson

Breshad Perriman

Demarcus Robinson

Phillip Dorsett

Devin Funchess

Nelson Agholor

Paul Richardson

Rashard Higgins

Ted Ginn

Geronimo Allison

Tajae Sharpe

Taylor Gabriel

Demaryius Thomas

Chris Hogan

Seth Roberts

Tavon Austin

Dontrelle Inman

I think the Packers have enough cap room for one bigger signing and maybe 2-3 smaller ones. Not sure where Ebron falls on that spectrum, but I'm in favor of bringing him in as a vet to go along with Sternberger & Tonyan. I don't like the idea of going solely with two raw guys at the position if they rely on the draft.

Robby Anderson is probably the best WR option out there if they look to free agency.

agreed, I went with the 2-3 smaller one idea. I would hope the packers can do something at the TE position, i'm just happy they didn't spend the rest of their cap space on Hooper.

Anderson would be a great signing, I think he could be very productive with a competent qb throwing to him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Silverstein reporting that the Packers have talked to Ravens' ILB Josh Bynes. Bynes rated highly overall last year, and is known as a solid run-stopper.

He said it's just talks at this point, but he seems like an interesting, low-cost option at ILB to improve the run defense.

Packers hired that guy that was a long time scout for the Ravens. Probably gave him a good grade.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Early projections have the Packers gaining two 4th rounders and a 6th for losing Bulaga, Martinez, and Fackrell respectively at this point. Obviously, any additional signings could offset those picks. Wagner and Kirksey were both cut, and don't count in the compensation formula.

With the existing picks they own, that would give them a lot of ammo to move up if they wanted to.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

With the existing picks they own, that would give them a lot of ammo to move up if they wanted to.

Those picks would come next year buy maybe that's when you were thinking.

Looks like the 2020 version of Antonio Morrison or B.J. Goodson to me. But that would likely make him the second-best ILB on the roster.

Interesting article about the success rate of drafting a WR versus signing one in FA. Their take is that the success rate in the 2nd round of the draft is much higher than in FA, and the success rate in the 3rd round is about the same as in FA.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-free-agency-2020/2020/3/21/21189368/packers-free-agency-draft-2020-wide-receivers-success-rate-additions-emmanuel-sanders

I like how Gute is getting decent FA options in place to reduce the direct draft need. Then you can focus easier on BPA in the draft and not be pressured to fill the hole.

except for they haven't addressed their top 2 offensive needs and its looking like they will have to use a high pick to get a TE and WR. Which I'm totally for, I hope this year they don't go BPA, unless they are forced to reach to do this, which obviously I don't want them to do.

Why do they have to spend a high pick on a TE? They drafted one in the 3rd round last year who missed the first 10 games of the season. Sternberger played 44% of the offensive snaps against Seattle in the playoffs, and caught a TD pass against the 49ers.

I like how Gute is getting decent FA options in place to reduce the direct draft need. Then you can focus easier on BPA in the draft and not be pressured to fill the hole.

except for they haven't addressed their top 2 offensive needs and its looking like they will have to use a high pick to get a TE and WR. Which I'm totally for, I hope this year they don't go BPA, unless they are forced to reach to do this, which obviously I don't want them to do.

I’d trade up and get Ruggs/Lamb/Shenault/Jefferson if WR fly off the board. I want a high end talent WR and not to fall into the “it’s a deep draft, we’ll get one or two later” status quo.

I don’t understand how TE is a need. With bringing Lewis back, they have 3 on the roster. Tonyan and Sternberger should be able to match the receiving numbers from last year if not exceed them.

ok, i'll take back the high pick on a TE remark. Sternberger, if he can recover, should be a good help. Lewis is a good blocker, don't think too much of Tonyan. I stand by the need a WR in the 1st 2 rounds.

I don’t understand how TE is a need. With bringing Lewis back, they have 3 on the roster. Tonyan and Sternberger should be able to match the receiving numbers from last year if not exceed them.

ok, i'll take back the high pick on a TE remark. Sternberger, if he can recover, should be a good help. Lewis is a good blocker, don't think too much of Tonyan. I stand by the need a WR in the 1st 2 rounds.

WR is a fair point. But it sounds like we have been kicking the wheels of several, too. I'd be shocked if we don't sign a FA that is "decent" (i.e. at least a #3) before all is said and done.

Tonyan and Sternberger could double their numbers from last year and that wouldn't mean much as Tonyan had 100 yards and Sternberger had 15 yards and that includes the playoffs.

Maybe Sternberger will turn out to be something....maybe not....but Lewis and Tonyan are nothing more than fringe players. Neither of these guys presented any challenge to Jimmy Graham's playing time and Graham is definitely well towards the bottom of the "NFL starters" list. I think tight end is a fairly significant need area for the team.

Archived