Brewer Fanatic

Packer Offseason Thread: Latest- Packers Sign Kenny Clark- 4 years/$70 Million

LouisEly
Does anyone really care what a beat reporter things about a player? Always found that stuff to a bit, well unreliable to say the least.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone really care what a beat reporter things about a player? Always found that stuff to a bit, well unreliable to say the least.

A little bit...but I care more when it matches what I see in the pre-season.

We saw Sullivan play well in the pre-season. It's not the end all, but it's entertaining to watch.

To see the next Sam Shields start to break through...not saying I love pre-season games, but I certainly enjoy that aspect. And I've enjoyed them more when we've had reason to hope we had a good young QB.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If they are watching trends in practices - who is getting more reps in a position battle, which backup is getting reps with the #1 team, player interactions - then it is valuable.

The fluff pieces where they regurgitate the post-practice interviews - best shape of my life, I'm working on improving everything, I have a new puppy - those are pretty worthless.

A little bit...but I care more when it matches what I see in the pre-season.

We saw Sullivan play well in the pre-season. It's not the end all, but it's entertaining to watch.

To see the next Sam Shields start to break through...not saying I love pre-season games, but I certainly enjoy that aspect. And I've enjoyed them more when we've had reason to hope we had a good young QB.

I always try to center-in on the draft picks and the UDFA players that the beat reporters covering training camp tout. With the lack of pre-season games, I can't see how the reporting matches up to my own eyes.

I always try to center-in on the draft picks and the UDFA players that the beat reporters covering training camp tout. With the lack of pre-season games, I can't see how the reporting matches up to my own eyes.

Exactly...this is a particularly bad year as we finally DO have another really highly regarded young QB. Although chances are he'd look bad since he's so raw and then it'd just add fuel to the fire that already exists.

I hope the pre-season games come back to some degree. Maybe 3...or even 2. I'd just like to see some of the younger guys.

Jags cut Leonard Fournette...damn. I'd assume they tried to trade him before cutting him since Tom Coughlin is no longer there(and presumably they're run better and not just punishing players for stupid reasons).

Had this happened prior to the draft...that would have been your AJ Dillon type back and would have freed up a second rounder on someone else.

Amazing how they move on from a guy who ran for ~1200 last year with no QB and a poor OL. A guy who helped lead that team to the AFCCG as a rookie and is only..24 maybe.

Hell, maybe the Packers should kick the tires either way. I mean...it makes almost no sense if Dillon is coming along(and there's no reason to think he's not), but if you really want to pound the ball, Jones, Dillon and Fournette would give you 3 really good runners. Ervin adds another dimension.

I know the Packers are likely to receive compensatory picks for Martinez (4), Bulaga (5), and Fackrell (6). They likely would have received one for BJ Goodson (7), but that was cancelled out due to signing Funchess. Any chance they get that 7th back due to Funchess opting out? I doubt it ... but am wishful.

I know the Packers are likely to receive compensatory picks for Martinez (4), Bulaga (5), and Fackrell (6). They likely would have received one for BJ Goodson (7), but that was cancelled out due to signing Funchess. Any chance they get that 7th back due to Funchess opting out? I doubt it ... but am wishful.

No, because Funchess's contract automatically tolls to 2021.

Thanks ... the Packers could probably use BJ Goodson right now.

Thanks ... the Packers could probably use BJ Goodson right now.

I imagine there will be a handful of ILBs of similar talent level available Saturday afternoon, either via small trade, waivers or free agency.

Once the first round of cuts go down, they can pick some guy up and fill that hole for a few weeks.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Kumerow cut.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Kumerow cut.

And the Wisconsin homers are already triggered this morning. I mean, guys like Kumerow have some value, but they can keep a younger guy with much more upside around at #4-5 WR. It seems that Tyler Ervin is basically a WR now, and he's a lock to make the team, which effects the numbers too.

So for WRs you've got Adams, Lazard, MVS, St. Brown for sure right? Then Begelton, Shepherd, Turner. How many do they usually keep? 6? Wonder if they'll pick someone up from outside the org.

So for WRs you've got Adams, Lazard, MVS, St. Brown for sure right? Then Begelton, Shepherd, Turner. How many do they usually keep? 6? Wonder if they'll pick someone up from outside the org.

Malik Taylor too. He's a holdover from last year's practice squad. Been seeing a little pub on him this week as a surprise roster guy.

Normally they keep 6, but if they go heavy at TE, then we might see only 5. Plus Tyler Ervin has been practicing with the WRs all camp, so I think he's a WR now, more or less. I personally hope Begelton makes it. He's a really fun story.

Edit - Shepherd just got cut.

Apparently Shepherd is getting cut.

Begelton gone. PS candidate

Kumerow cut.

And the Wisconsin homers are already triggered this morning. I mean, guys like Kumerow have some value, but they can keep a younger guy with much more upside around at #4-5 WR. It seems that Tyler Ervin is basically a WR now, and he's a lock to make the team, which effects the numbers too.

I like the guy, but his ceiling is probably a #4 WR. I have no problem rolling the dice with a younger player. Don’t forget, Kumerow is 28. It’s unlikely he’ll improve much.

Archived