Brewer Fanatic

Packer Offseason Thread: Latest- Packers Sign Kenny Clark- 4 years/$70 Million

LouisEly
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lane Taylor likely saw the writing on the wall that he was at risk of being cut and agreed to rework his contract for this year, trimming his base salary to $1.5M (from $3.8M) with up to $1.5M in bonuses based on playing time plus a $100K signing bonus.

So Vince Biegel is good now?

Well I looked it up after reading this and he made 10 starts for the Dolphins last year, hard to read too much into playing for a bad team but Tom Oates said this in an article today that was sort of critical of Pettine:

Take former University of Wisconsin outside linebacker Vince Biegel, for instance. Drafted in 2017, Biegel played sparingly in the final nine games of his rookie season after recovering from foot surgery. Then Pettine arrived and Biegel, who doesn’t fit Pettine’s preference for big outside linebackers, was released prior to the 2018 season, which means the Packers gave up on a fourth-round pick after only nine games and one training camp. Biegel wouldn’t have turned around the defense, but the Packers ran off a player who was a 10-game starter for Miami last season and is considered a part of that team’s future.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/sports/national/tom-oates-packers-defensive-coordinator-mike-pettine-has-a-short-leash-with-players/article_8b9d072b-bbdf-5720-96ac-f6debb3ce9c7.html

• 1 month later...
Funchess opted out.

Lol, there goes literally the only thing we did to address our receiver depth for 2020.

Remember this name: Reggie Begelton

I was more excited about him before the pre-season was nixed...but everything I saw from when we signed him looked promising enough...looks like a tough, physical WR'er who can get some YAC yards.

This group is easily talented enough...but MVS needs to be tougher mentally and ESQ has to improve the work ethic that dogged him coming out of ND. Two guys who are 6'4, 6'5 and run sub 4.4 40's with good hands and ability after the catch?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• 2 weeks later...
I'd rather just give Antonio Brown a call once his suspension is up. Rodgers is nearing the end so I'm willing to start throwing caution to the wind. He's pretty much stayed out of the news since his arrest last year, so maybe he's had a wakeup call.

If I'm the Packers, I trade 2021 draft picks for a WR upgrade ASAP. Not only is the upgrade probably needed, there is no telling if a 2021 draft will even happen.

I get the thinking but I would think GMs share your though process here.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'd be surprised if the draft didn't happen, but the crapshoot is who will be available in it? I'm guessing it will be more akin to the MLB draft this year.

If you found someone that had very low expectations on the year and had a WR on the last year of their contract, you might get someone to bite on a trade. Of course, they might want a 1st round pick where a 3rd would be sufficient any other year.

And there is probably a higher possibility of a draft next year than a full season this year...

I like Kenny Clark but man that's a lot of cheddar for an interior lineman

...who's still only 24 years old. At the very least, the Packers are still paying for his prime years.

He could actually get another big deal after this one if he stays healthy.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

AJ Dillon is a rather large individual.

qSBXXmH.png?1

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

...who's still only 24 years old. At the very least, the Packers are still paying for his prime years.

He could actually get another big deal after this one if he stays healthy.

Grady Jarrett got 4/68 at 26 years old. It's a lot of money, but the way he dominates at times...it's pretty close to what I thought he'd get.

If I could change one thing, I'd like to see the Packers sign longer term deals. You add 2 more years at ~25 million. Just makes the cap far more manegable. The way the Cowboys work the cap. They're able to pay just about everyone.

Tyron Smith for example...he signed that 8 year 100 million dollar deal that was just considered crazy at the time.

Well..8 years, 10 million signing bonus, cap hit this year is ~13 million and the cap hit would be 5.5 million.

If you know you've got a guy who's a long term starter...it just makes more sense to go a little longer. Bahktiari for example..two years later they signed him for 4/68 with a 15 million dollar signing bonus.

If it's a premiere position, chances are the AAV is going to keep on inceasing with the only exceptions I know of are for RB's and now maybe due to this crazy Covid situation that NOBODY could have foreseen.

So for a 24 year old stud NT...would have turned down 7/122 with a 28 million dollar signing bonus?

I understand the Packers like to keep their books clean and it makes sense, but if we're worried about being up against the cap, it's a pretty simple solution. Especially considering it's not like the Packers are hurting for Cash. AND I think it'd save you money...like with Bahk. He's going to get 20+ per year next year on a new likely 4 year deal.

I'm not upset. Just saying. That's a lotta dollars. Hope it works out.

The Packers signed Reggie White for 4 years and...17 million. Total. The most coveted FA of all time up until that point(and likely since) and the greatest DL in NFL history(the best defensive player in NFL history IMO). And now a NT is getting more per year than he got for his FOUR years.

But that's how the NFL goes. Or at least how it was going before Covid decided the Cap was going up too much and they needed to knee cap it!

I love it. I'm confident he's going to be a guy who keeps the same energy he's been bringing. This isn't a Cledius Hunt type signing or a Johnny Jolly.

Now...for the love of God, get a big 3 technique who can eat up some blockers so Clark can abuse NT's and Kirksey can make some plays!

AJ Dillon is a rather large individual.

qSBXXmH.png?1

I wasn't a big fan of this pick at the time, but when you read about how he faced 8 or 9 man fronts far more often than Johnathon Tayor...who it seemed was ONLY facing 8 man fronts or any other back in the draft...and how he just ran over people, and it's hard to not get excited.

And now you look at this picture....this dude is ridiculously big. And he's fast. With Rodgers at QB, you're not going to have many 8 or 9 man fronts.

I skeptical of this team in general this year, but I do think they've got a chance to be a better offensive team as they transition from a pass heavy team to a run heavy team.

There are a lot of interesting puzzle pieces on offense and a lot of potential to get creative with the formations and movement. I hope LaFleur takes advantage of that. It seems like there's a ton of flexibility: you've got Sternberger, Ervin, Deguara that can move all over the place, three headed running back attack, the return of St. Brown, maybe Begelton in the slot....I'm excited to see what they come up with.

There are a lot of interesting puzzle pieces on offense and a lot of potential to get creative with the formations and movement. I hope LaFleur takes advantage of that. It seems like there's a ton of flexibility: you've got Sternberger, Ervin, Deguara that can move all over the place, three headed running back attack, the return of St. Brown, maybe Begelton in the slot....I'm excited to see what they come up with.

I actually think the offense is going to be a bit better than last year...just being in the 2nd year of it, hopefully one of the two young guys, MVS or EQ finally breaks out. Overall I think the Defense will likely regress and not get many picks and the team will probably have a worse record. But the offense should be interesting.

I loved the Dillon pick from the start. All I kept seeing was it was a waste because we have Jones but this guy is absolutely nothing like Jones. Lots of physical freaks don't hack it in the NFL for one reason or another but he is exactly the kind of weapon I've wanted them to have for a long time.

Archived