Brewer Fanatic

Joc Pederson, Ross Stripling to Angels

Eye Black

Apparently more to this deal according to Angels beat reporter Fabian Ardaya:

Angels-Dodgers trade is not yet done as players are being informed, source tells The Athletic. Angels getting Joc Pederson, a big league starter and a prospect from the Dodgers in exchange for Luis Rengifo and another prospect.

And from Kiley McDaniel:

Dodgers prospect OF Andy Pages will be heading to the Angels in the Joc Pederson deal, pending medical review. Pages hit 19 homers last year in rookie ball as an 18 year old (now 19)

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Apparently more to this deal according to Angels beat reporter Fabian Ardaya:

Angels-Dodgers trade is not yet done as players are being informed, source tells The Athletic. Angels getting Joc Pederson, a big league starter and a prospect from the Dodgers in exchange for Luis Rengifo and another prospect.

And from Kiley McDaniel:

Dodgers prospect OF Andy Pages will be heading to the Angels in the Joc Pederson deal, pending medical review. Pages hit 19 homers last year in rookie ball as an 18 year old (now 19)

So Pederson, Pages, and another ML starter? or just Pederson and Pages and worded poorly?

Ross Stripling is in this deal as well.

Pederson, Stripling for Rengifo and prospects.

Angels could be quietly good if Teheran, Bundy, Andriese, and Stripling can just be average to above average.

What am i missing here?

Pederson is good and Stripling has been a valuable swing starter/reliever, along with not being a free agent until 2023. Unless the Dodgers get a nice prospect or two along with Rengifo, the return seems light.

What am i missing here?

Pederson is good and Stripling has been a valuable swing starter/reliever, along with not being a free agent until 2023. Unless the Dodgers get a nice prospect or two along with Rengifo, the return seems light.

It is a salary dump. Pederson was making almost $10M. People can say the large market team's have endless money but it simply is not true. Teams do not like to operate over the cap in general and the Dodgers have been pretty good about working under it.

What am i missing here?

It is a salary dump. Pederson was making almost $10M. People can say the large market team's have endless money but it simply is not true. Teams do not like to operate over the cap in general and the Dodgers have been pretty good about working under it.

And there are suppose to be 2 more prospects going to the Dodgers, plus the Dodgers sent along another prospect.

I am a Joc Pederson fan, but I think it was a good trade for the Dodgers. Joc had one year remaining before free agency and became redundant with Betts joining the Dodgers. Combined with the Betts trade, they swapped 1 year of Pederson for 1 yr of Betts. 3 years of Stripling for 3 years of Price (and with Bosox paying half his salary). And 3 young players for Verducco and a minor league OFer. It will depend on what the Dodgers still get, but as loaded as their minors have been, I would expect that their scouting department finds at least one gem in the players they receive.

Also, just saw where the trades are being held up because of Graterols medicals. Could it be Boston is getting cold feet and looking for a way to get out of the deal?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Dodgers can work under it because they've drafted really well and have a number of cheap players to replace the expensive ones....which they trade off for more cheap and useful prospects.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Ross Stripling is in this deal as well.

Pederson, Stripling for Rengifo and prospects.

Angels could be quietly good if Teheran, Bundy, Andriese, and Stripling can just be average to above average.

What am i missing here?

As others have mentioned, this is a way to stay under the luxury tax. Cot's puts them around $3M under after these recent moves, which gives them a little flexibility while not paying any luxury tax and allowing them to go over if needed in future years without paying exorbitant taxes.

This also sends some guys that may not have big roles on the team away and bolsters their farm. This seems to be a foreign concept to some fans, but the reason Friedman's teams (Tampa and now LA) always have good MLB teams and good farms is at least to some degree because he is willing to trade away major leaguers for prospects, even when the team is playoff caliber. He can stay under the luxury tax because he always has good pre-arby guys on the roster. He always has good pre-arby guys on the roster because he maintains a good farm, which in large part is because he is willing to make trades like this.

I'm glad the Brewers have Stearns, because big markets are getting smarter about their investments. Without a smart/shrewd GM of our own, we'd have no chance.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

This deal is reportedly dead. The Angels reportedly backed out (which is somewhat astonishing).

From Bob Nightengale: The Dodgers are planning to put outfielder Joc Pederson back on the trade block with the Angels appearing to be the ones who pulled out of the original deal.

The Brewers should trade for Ross Stripling now, IMO.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

This deal is reportedly dead. The Angels reportedly backed out (which is somewhat astonishing).

From Bob Nightengale: The Dodgers are planning to put outfielder Joc Pederson back on the trade block with the Angels appearing to be the ones who pulled out of the original deal.

I agree with your idea here but I have no clue what we could trade that the Dodgers would actually want. The major idea of this trade was to salary dump Joc, Stripling was just a minor part of the deal.

I agree with your idea here but I have no clue what we could trade that the Dodgers would actually want. The major idea of this trade was to salary dump Joc, Stripling was just a minor part of the deal.

I think that you make a similar deal - take Pederson for a year to get Stripling. Stripling is interesting and Pederson isn't exactly a scrub sitting on the bench - in fact he could turn out to be an asset that you can use or flip at the deadine.

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Not sure MKE will get Stripling and Pederson without putting up a Rengifo of our own.

I'd guess Pederson for nothing is a possibility though. His contract for an OF who kills RHP would be fine by me. Makes the bench of Pederson Gamel real solid.

Probably unnecessary but if MKE can get a lottery ticket for the cap dump they should be happy to oblige.

You can also note that the 3 batter rule might be a big benefit when Joc's on the bench vs a lefty starter and a righty reliever is brought into the game.

He's also been stellar defensively in LF. 1200 innings the last 2 years. Stellar. The only OF MKE has who grades higher than Joc in LF is Cain in CF. Could be a bench bat and defensive replacement in LF. Or a guy who you slide from CF to LF on a Cain early game rest day vs a RHP.

If the Dodgers are giving up a lot of value in Stripling and Pederson just to get under the "cap," and if the Brewers could afford another $9.85M, then they should at least look at this, although I don't know what we'd trade them. Rengifro is young and MLB ready. We don't have a lot of those guys around these days.

I guess if we're getting Stripling back, we could afford to give up someone like Houser, who (according to baseballtradevalues.com) is around the value of Rengifro. Otherwise, maybe Feliciano and a guy in the low minors??

Attanasio might be willing to raise the budget if he thinks he's getting a huge value that could really help the team. But, I don't know if the Dodgers would be as willing to make this type of trade to the Brewers, who may in turn be the team that knocks them out of the playoffs. Easier to make the trade to an AL team that hasn't been good in recent years.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Attanasio might be willing to raise the budget if he thinks he's getting a huge value that could really help the team. But, I don't know if the Dodgers would be as willing to make this type of trade to the Brewers, who may in turn be the team that knocks them out of the playoffs. Easier to make the trade to an AL team that hasn't been good in recent years.

The Dodgers also do not want to help the Angels out. The rivalry between Los Angeles and Orange County is real, especially amongst the fans. Agree with the sentiment that the Angels are in the AL and that is more palatable, but that is the last team the Dodgers want to help (that isn't in their division). I am guessing the Dodgers see something of significance in Rengifo that we do not.

Archived