homer

Looks like 2 separate deals now.

DODGERS-TWINS TRADE

Dodgers get: RHP Brusdar Graterol, Minor Leaguer, 67th pick in 2020 Draft

Twins get: RHP Kenta Maeda, Minor Leaguer, cash

RED SOX-DODGERS TRADE

Red Sox get: OF Alex Verdugo, SS Jeter Downs, C Connor Wong

Dodgers get: OF Mookie Betts, LHP David Price, cash

LAD getting Graterol & the Twins Comp B pick in next draft is very interesting. IF LAD comes asking about Hader again, Graterol should be a target for the return package..

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DODGERS-TWINS TRADE

Dodgers get: RHP Brusdar Graterol, Minor Leaguer, 67th pick in 2020 Draft

Twins get: RHP Kenta Maeda, Minor Leaguer, cash

The minor leaguer going from the Twins to the Dodgers is outfielder Luke Raley who was actually traded from the Dodgers to the Twins back in 2018 as part of the Brian Dozier deal. Can’t imagine that has happened very many times where two teams trade a prospect, and then swap them back to their original organization less than two years later, and before they’ve made their MLB debut.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Hard to believe Boston would let this deal fall apart. Maybe I'm seriously over-estimating Verdugo's value?

I can understand over-emotional Boston fans being upset over losing Betts....BUT HE IS STILL ESSENTIALLY A ONE-YEAR PLAYER FOR THEM since they apparently aren't willing to give him a 420 million dollar contract. Being able to dump Price now seems to be a gift straight from heaven, even though they would be eating half of his salary.

Boston = +71.3 million

Adds Verdugo (+75.5), Graterol (+18.9)

Subtracts Betts (-36), Price (+60.9), 48 million dollars (-48)

Twins = -17.1 million

Adds Maeda (+1.8)

Subtracts Graterol (-18.9)

Dodgers = -54.2 million

Adds Betts (+36), Price (-60.9), 48 million dollars (+48)

Subtracts Verdugo (-75.5), Maeda (-1.8)

I think putting Verdugo at 3 WAR per over the next 5 is very fair. He only played about 100 games. Sub 400 AB and was a 2.2 WAR according to Fgraphs.

3 War is worth about 90 in my book and the 2 years then a 6-8-10 arby puts him at 65 in value.

I grade Price harsher than you by a bit but even then. The profit of the deal for Boston was the ENTIRE value of Verdugo. They could have went Price Betts cash for Verdugo straight up and won the deal. Getting 2 prospects thrown in was just icing.

Values of new deals IMO:

Red Sox = +79.25 million

Adds Verdugo (+75.5), Downs (+23.0), Wong (+3.85)

Twins = -10.95 million

Adds Maeda (+1.8), 10 million dollars (+10), fringe prospect (+2.2)

Subtracts Graterol (-18.9), #67 pick (-3.85), Raley (-2.2)

Despite what seems to be the general opinion out there, I still think the Betts/Price/Verdugo deal is one of the most lop-sided deals I can remember. It's like the general population has completely forgotten that Betts is only under contract for one more season, is seeking a 420 million dollar deal...Price is 34 years old, has only averaged 119 innings over the last three years and basically missed the final two months of 2019 with a wrist injury (threw <5 innings in August/September).

Twins did much better getting the 10 million payment out of the Dodgers. Who knows, maybe the reported fringe prospect ranks a little higher than what is currently being reported? I would not have dealt a high-upside arm like Graterol for Maeda.

Values of new deals IMO:

Red Sox = +79.25 million

Twins = -10.95 million

Despite what seems to be the general opinion out there, I still think the Betts/Price/Verdugo deal is one of the most lop-sided deals I can remember. It's like the general population has completely forgotten that Betts is only under contract for one more season, is seeking a 420 million dollar deal...Price is 34 years old, has only averaged 119 innings over the last three years and basically missed the final two months of 2019 with a wrist injury (threw <5 innings in August/September).

Twins did much better getting the 10 million payment out of the Dodgers. Who knows, maybe the reported fringe prospect ranks a little higher than what is currently being reported? I would not have dealt a high-upside arm like Graterol for Maeda.

Except that the Dodgers added an elite former MVP thereby increasing their chance of winning in 2020 and only gave up players they didn't need in the first place. Especially since the Joc Pederson deal collapsed, Verdugo would have been a 5th outfielder on the 2020 Dodgers, if Pollock is healthy maybe even on the shuttle between the Majors and AAA.

Maeda is a pitcher they removed from their rotation down the stretch the last 2 seasons. With Kershaw, Buehler, May, Stripling, Urias, Alex Wood, Jimmy Nelson and now Price all capable of starting games, they don't need Maeda and got some real nice talent in return.

The real beauty of this trade is the Dodgers doing player acquisition and development better than anyone else in the game. Verdugo was a late 2nd round pick (62nd overall), Jeter Downs was a former first round pick they acquired from the Reds in the Kemp, Puig, Alex Wood salary dump, and Maeda an international free agent signed to a ridiculous 8 year/24 million dollar deal. In return get a former MVP, a former Cy Young Winner, Top 100 prospect in Graterol and they re-acquire one of their own prospects (Luke Raley) they shipped to Minnesota last year for rental Brian Dozier.

Values of new deals IMO:

Red Sox = +79.25 million

Twins = -10.95 million

If Verdugo were still a prospect what is his value being about #21-25? You're also putting the Twins up against Verdugo's contract value when he comes from the Dodgers. So what is the Dodgers value in this new deal, seeing as they end up Graterol. Essentially the break down should be the Twins vs Dodgers. and the Red Sox vs the Dodgers. Unless that prospect comes from the Red Sox to the Twins.

Is Maeda any better than Chase Anderson? The Twins could have picked up a similar starter without giving away one of the best arm prospects in baseball.

Maeda 2016-19: 589 IP | 95 ERA- | 89 FIP- | 7.9 rWAR | 9.6 fWAR

Chase 2016-19: 590 IP | 90 ERA- | 110 FIP- | 10.6 rWAR | 5.1 fWAR

Kenta has a higher K% (26.4 to 20.6), a lower BB% (7.3 to 8.2) & a lower HR/9 (1.18 to 1.45) which is why his FIP is 21% lower, & yet, Chase has managed to beat him by 5% at actually suppressing runs. So similar, but different.

In terms of contracts Chase is at essentially 2/18 at this point while Maeda is 4/12 (plus all the weird incentives, if I did the math right his first four years cost around 34 million) so in addition to better peripherals Kenta also comes with twice the team control.

• 5 months later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
12 year, $350 million per Heyman
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Christian Yelich is only 10 months older than Betts. This contract makes Yelich's deal look like the best team-friendly deal in the universe.

I totally forgot he signed an extension.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Passan saying 12 years 365 million

Community Moderator
It’s sort of crazy to think that Mookie Betts has yet to play a single regular season game with Los Angeles, but is now highly likely to one day enter Cooperstown donning a Dodgers hat.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Christian Yelich is only 10 months older than Betts. This contract makes Yelich's deal look like the best team-friendly deal in the universe.

Well, Yelich was also set to hit FA notably older too...Betts was not only younger, but also hitting FA after 2020. That being said a lot of people thought Betts and other bigger FAs were in big trouble to be hitting FA during the pandemic. Who knows what he would have gotten had he gotten a normal full year.

Crazy thing: Betts was/is set to make $27mil in 2020 via arbitration. Christian Yelich will NEVER get paid more than $26mil a year in his extension...and that is before deferred money.

Archived