Brewer Fanatic

RHP Pedro Strop to Reds - 1 year, $1.825 million ($3.5 million with incentives)

I strongly prefer Phelps to Strop given the price. I would consider those 2 virtually a push from a talent perspective at this point.

I'd rather have Strop

Prior to last season, Strop had six straight years of a sub-3 ERA, Phelps only did that once. Besides ERA, Strop has been much better at limiting guys getting on base.

Strop's skills are diminishing considerably. He's lost almost 3 mph on his fastball since 2017 and almost 5 since his peak. Guys are hitting the ball much harder, and he's getting far less whiffs. Phelps is a more complete pitcher and throws 4 distinct pitches(4 seam, sinker, cutter, curve). His ratios were all better than Strop last year. I think Phelps has a better shot to hang on for one more good season than Strop. Strop seems like more name than anything at this point.

The hook is A LOT slower for a veteran with a guaranteed contract than it is for a guy who can be shuttled to SA. I don't want a bullpen full of low upside veteran guys we are just waiting to cut...we might as well give a shot to Luke Barker or Rassmussen or Devin Williams. Then when they are shaky we can shuttle them down. When Phelps is shaky we have to wait it out for another 3 weeks before we are sure he is a complete flop before we cut him AND eat the contract. That's a lot of "lose" compared to just shuttling guys back and forth to SA.

Neftali Feliz got 6 mil and only lasted 27 inning.

Corbin Burnes got 31 innings out of the pen last year and appeared in 28 games. After getting horribly rocked as a starter.

I don't think the contract effects their decision making. I really don't think a contract under 2 million will force their hand. You can put me down for Cashner as a RP on a MLB deal with a DFA of Williams and a 40 man MiLB deal for Chad Bettis with a DFA of Freitas. I think both DFAs slide through waivers. Options options options.

AAA starting rotation. Burnes Bettis Supak Miller Jankins and Brown(RP?). Go Missions!

I agree, I give Houser a shot at 5+ to start. He saw a HR spike after 50 pitches but the rest of his stats looked spot on. The sample was small enough that there is a decent shot the HR spike was just a random blip.

Him and Peralta/Houser should be 2 IP guys. If they are looking at him as the long man that's a waste.

Houser should be a 5+ IP guy every five games.

I hope this is correct but Houser rarely had an impressive ERA in the minors. He was a 4.57 ERA as a starter in his first go round in the majors.

I'd love to believe there will be improvement but 2019 was the most impressive year he showed at any level. I absolutely expect him to have success in the pen. I'm not sure if he can match Chase Anderson as a starter. Chase without counting 2017.

Archived