Brewer Fanatic

Astros hire Dusty Baker

reillymcshane

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Verlander for 400 IP!
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Verlander for 400 IP!

I said that, but isn't traditionally the issue with him and younger pitchers?

I dunno. It might be myth more than anything.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

A lot of overreaction to a manager that has won 53% of his games over the course of managing four different franchises. The guy has never been in a place and lost. I'm sure he will do just fine with the talent that will be given to him in Houston.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't see any overreactions.

Must not look at your own posts then. :laughing

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think his overuse of pitchers is overblown but what will be interesting is how much he implements the data the front office has. Or if they even have it anymore since Crane cleared house. You'll probably be seeing lots of stone age baseball with no shifts and lots of bunting.

Yeah, Baker has won a lot of games, but doesn't seem to fit with Houston's approach, or at least the approach they have had that has built a perennial powerhouse.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Must not look at your own posts then. :laughing

It was a joke. See my follow up post.

I don't think Baker is a great on the field manager but he is a very good manager for the rest of it. With a team going through something like this with this much talent on it I think the rest of it is probably more important this year. This is a very good fit imo. Plus its a one year deal so they can really take their time figuring out who they really want.

I also think next year they will get to have first pick on available managers where this year given the nature of how things went down they were stuck picking from the guys who didn't get picked by anyone else. Not a great position to find a long term manager.

Archived