Brewer Fanatic

NL DH in 2021?

RollieTime

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.amny.com/baseball/report-national-league-could-adopt-dh-in-2021/amp/

Just heard about it today on HighHeat, but wanted to link an article to the post.

I am definitely all for the DH coming to the NL and hope that this is implemented. I would prefer Hiura being able to remain in the field and not need to become a DH, but it would allow a fallback option incase he doesn’t improve defensively. It also allows the Brewers to possibly retain Braun on a low one year deal to DH if he has another solid year this season. Or, it let’s us actually target other players we might not normally target like Castellanos.

It would open up a lot of options for the Brewers and might even change how they operate with not needing as many pinch hitters. Might see them target a different tier of players instead of looking at a bunch of averageish talent to fill the bench with. This could also be why Stearns was targeting a ton of one year deals, wanting to have that financial flexibility next offseason when the NL game could be seeing a drastic change.

It's inevitable but I don't like it. Seems like it's bad for smaller market teams overall. It's sort of an equalizer forcing the pitcher to bat, but if you remove that from the equation it's just another spot where the richest teams can fork out cash to create a large gap between their DH and say, the Brewers DH.

Maybe someone can point out that's not true, but that's how it seems. I wish they had to bat in both leagues, but I know this is a matter of when, not if.

If the DH does come to the NL, I think MLB needs to implement additional changes as well which include realignment, elimination of the traditional AL-NL markets and possible expansion. More specifically, if the DH comes to the NL and with interleague play almost a quarter-century old, traditions will continue to be diluted and it no longer will make sense to me to have the Yankees/Mets or Dodgers/Angels in opposing leagues. Follow the path of the NBA and create a western and eastern conference.

Expansion to 32 seems inevitable, and if it is, MLB can follow the path of the NFL and create 8 four-team divisions. Without knowing the locations of the 2 new franchises, nor knowing the outcome of the stadium situations with the A's or Rays, it becomes difficult to fully plan for a realignment, but coastal divisions of Yankees, Mets, Phillies, and Red Sox in the east and Dodgers, Angels, Padres, and Diamondbacks in the west is appropriate given the blurred lines of the AL-NL.

I don't necessarily love the blurring of the AL-NL but if it continues then it makes no sense to not create these regional divisions.

Yup, I agree...probably not good for a small market. There are advantages it gives the Brewers, but every other team gets those same advantages plus some. Now NL big market can sign mega contracts and ween them into a DH role in later years. NL big markets are now major players for elite DHs etc...we won't be with or without the DH.

I always see Brewers fans in favor of this, but I don't really get it. This is not really a benefit for a team that already can't afford to field a really good team consistently. We can't afford to piece together an offense as is...let alone afford a really good DH.

Imagine the Dodgers who had that logjam of bats for years...now they get to stick one in their lineup while we go pick through trash like Justin Smoak.

Community Moderator
In the era of 3TO baseball there isn't any reason for pitchers to be attempting to hit anymore. Even their sacrifice bunts provide little to no value. I don't necessarily agree with it but it's clear that the game has decided to go in that direction so they may as well get it over with.

Only for the starting pitcher! Only for the starting pitcher! Only for the starting pitcher!

Or perhaps make the DH "optional" such that every series the home team gets to decide to use the DH or not. That would be the ultimate in flexibility. It would then be a big advantage to have an Ohtani or to a lesser extent Woodruff or Greinke or Bumgarner.

Like everybody else between 35 and 60 years old here, I grew up watching the Brewers in the AL. At that time I thought the NL was weird and backwards for not using the DH. I grew to love the NL style of ball after the switch. It's the way the game was meant to be played.

In the era of 3TO baseball there isn't any reason for pitchers to be attempting to hit anymore. Even their sacrifice bunts provide little to no value. I don't necessarily agree with it but it's clear that the game has decided to go in that direction so they may as well get it over with.

Then skip the pitcher's spot and just have 8 guys bat. That would seem less damaging to the Brewers than another disadvantaged position. Though maybe not, because the lack of a "free out" might hurt them even more. I dunno.

I'm not even that old and I hate the idea of a player that doesn't have to bat. I grew up on the AL Brewers and hated it as a kid.

Yup, I agree...probably not good for a small market. There are advantages it gives the Brewers, but every other team gets those same advantages plus some. Now NL big market can sign mega contracts and ween them into a DH role in later years. NL big markets are now major players for elite DHs etc...we won't be with or without the DH.

I always see Brewers fans in favor of this, but I don't really get it. This is not really a benefit for a team that already can't afford to field a really good team consistently. We can't afford to piece together an offense as is...let alone afford a really good DH.

Imagine the Dodgers who had that logjam of bats for years...now they get to stick one in their lineup while we go pick through trash like Justin Smoak.

The Brewer fans you have seen in favor of this probably did so after seeing their ace pitcher's career ended from batting and falling one game short of the WS next season, among other pitcher injuries.

I don't really buy that it puts small market teams at a big disadvantage. Who are these big DH only players that AL teams are forking over big money for? Martinez, Cruz? Most times DH just becomes a default spot for your worst fielder. Teams aren't really investing in guys that can't play anywhere. The Twins, A's, Rays and Royals have all had success in the AL to varying degrees this last decade despite the continuing presence of the DH.

Very few teams use a dedicated DH these days. I really don't think this is going to hurt small market teams at all. When pitchers used to pitch complete games all the time the pitcher hitting made sense, it just makes no sense at all in todays game. Especially since many of the leagues leading up to the majors use the DH.

A couple years ago I tracked this for almost every game of the first half and I think there were only 2 times in the entire half that an actual difficult decision came up for pinch hitting for the starter. It is a bit bigger of a deal for the RP.

I understand why you do it. Starting pitchers are the highest paid players on the diamond after they hit free agency. You want to protect them. Also most them can't hit and they are human rally killers. That being said, it is pretty cool that baseball is the only league that has any difference between the 2 conferences. It makes the world series a little more fun to watch to see the differences in how the game is played on the road and at home.

Ultimately, I think this will be enacted as a concession in the labor agreement negotiations. If you expand the rosters another spot for a DH, so every team will be carrying 27, you may get some sticking points through the MLBPA to get a deal.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm good with the DH.

In the course of one year (2017) Chase Anderson pull an oblique muscle while batting, Junior Guerra pull a calf muscle running to 1B on a sacrifice bunt attempt, and Jimmy Nelson fell and torn his labrum rounding first base.

All of this happened batting or running the bases. In the case of Nelson, it was devastating. Guerra and Anderson each missed almost 2 months due to their injuries.

We missed the Wild Card that year by one game. Having those three guys all season may have gotten that extra game or two to make the playoffs that year (and who knows after that as we saw last year with the Nats).

In the end, I'm okay with having awful hitters go to the plate several times a game. There's a certain fun to it - but ultimately it usually nets very little for a team - and the consequences can be really harsh.

I get it. It isn't fun to watch pitchers hit. It exposes them to injury risk. They are basically auto outs. Etc.

And maybe after 5 yrs., I won't notice the difference.

I just like NL-style baseball better. I feel more engaged as a fan. You always know when that pitcher's spot is coming up. It gives you a reason to pay attention to all the decisions a manager is making. I watch a lot of AL baseball (in Iowa, we get Twins and Royals RSNs), and I just find it less interesting for me.

Again, I think the DH might add some fun, and I won't gripe. But when it happens, whether in 2021 or later (and it does seem inevitable), I will be a little sad because I will miss the fun parts of the NL game. And it will be another instance of equating "the good of the game" with "entertainment value," something I always find a little troubling.

Only for the starting pitcher! Only for the starting pitcher! Only for the starting pitcher!

I had the same idea about the DH. Make it universal but only as long as the starting pitcher stays in the game. Removing the starting pitcher replaces the DH in the batting order with the reliever. Teams can then obviously pinch hit for the RP. That probably fixes MLB's issue with the "opener" SP and keeps strategies such as the double switch in place.

Or just make it so the DH replaces one specific pitcher during the game. That way guys like MadBum and Greinke can still hit. A team could make a pitching change and simultaneously replace the pitcher in the lineup with a DH. Once that reliever is pulled from the game, the DH is again replaced by the new reliever. Maybe that keeps a reliever in the game longer so the team can bring up the DH for a second time.

But, let's be honest. The NL will just implement the DH the same way the AL currently uses it, and I'm okay with that too.

While I'm not in favor of the DH It would be easier for me to accept if the DH had to bat in the #9 position. I just picture David Otiz for example going to the air conditioned/heated club house between at bats possibly working on his swing instead of standing in the 90 degree sun/30 degree wind chill playing defense for 3 hours, and I shake my head.

Their needs to be one set of rules.

"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail"

John Wooden

Community Moderator
While I'm not in favor of the DH It would be easier for me to accept if the DH had to bat in the #9 position. I just picture David Otiz for example going to the air conditioned/heated club house between at bats possibly working on his swing instead of standing in the 90 degree sun/30 degree wind chill playing defense for 3 hours, and I shake my head.

Their needs to be one set of rules.

One thing to note is that #9 hitters suck. Only 4 teams had an OPS above .700 in the 9-spot last year. The reality is that the DH would replace a .550 OPS spot (starting pitcher+pinch hitters) with a .650 OPS (worst hitter in lineup). It's not that much of an improvement.

One thing is that the Brewers could have held onto Domingo Santana which would have been immensely useful in 2019.

From a strategy stand point this is a shame. Otherwise I don't see the small market complaints. You can make those same complaints about everything in baseball and DS has done very well filling in 1b with scraps. DH will be another quality producer that he finds off the WW like Aguilar or on the FA market like Smoak and Thames. It'll be fine. The dumb teams will see older players and go, well when they age out of their position we can DH them, and they'll watch as the guy falls off a cliff as a hitter as well. They'll fall for that false security, cap their teams on old has-beens and MKE will be just fine.

It'll be a great way to hide Hiura's defense without taking him out of the lineup. Swap him from 2B to DH after the 6th at home and after the top of the 7th on the road.

From a strategy stand point this is a shame. Otherwise I don't see the small market complaints. You can make those same complaints about everything in baseball and DS has done very well filling in 1b with scraps. DH will be another quality producer that he finds off the WW like Aguilar or on the FA market like Smoak and Thames. It'll be fine. The dumb teams will see older players and go, well when they age out of their position we can DH them, and they'll watch as the guy falls off a cliff as a hitter as well. They'll fall for that false security, cap their teams on old has-beens and MKE will be just fine.

It'll be a great way to hide Hiura's defense without taking him out of the lineup. Swap him from 2B to DH after the 6th at home and after the top of the 7th on the road.

I believe a DH can only be substituted for by a player NOT in the current lineup. Plus the pitcher would have to bat or a PH used when the pitcher's spot came up.

Archived