Brewer Fanatic

Surprise Brewers' MiLB players who could contribute this season

liveforoctober

Trent Grisham was a pleasant surprise in 2019 in the sense that he put together such a year that warranted a call up, productive/important playing time, and ultimately got his value up to a point to be flipped for Urias. I'm not sure many had him pegged as someone who was going to play meaningful 'minutes' for us last year.

Which minor league prospect might be this year's Grisham? Who might come out of the shadows to contribute to this year's run?

Bobby Wahl is still on the team's Top 30. I expect him to have an important bullpen role. Obviously Devin Williams is looking at potentially a large role. Drew Rasmussen looks primed for a potential MLB jump this year as well.

As for position players ... hmm. I want it to be Corey Ray. But logically ... probably Tyrone Taylor.

I think there are quite a few potential pitchers. Rasmussen would be a sexy pick, but I think a guy like Supak could perform right out of the gate himself.

Offensively there really aren't many options. Lucas Erceg would be my pick...well, probably no one if it is an option. Corey Ray would be the secondary.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get little to no help from the farm this year.

I agree that I don’t think we have much chance of any minor league bats making any type of significant impact for us unfortunately. On the pitching side, Supak and Rasmussen will probably get their shot at some point. Rasmussen could be that mid season “acquisition” we need to help solidify the bullpen down the stretch. Luke Barker could be one of those guys as well that could be a nice bullpen arm starting to see some big league innings.

Barker has been pretty dominant throughout his minor league career. Not a ton of K’s (9.1 K/9), but doesn’t walk many guys and keeps the ball in the park. I’m interested in seeing what he can do at the MLB level. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s one of the first guys to be on the shuttle early on. If he pitches well early on, he could find himself with the big league club permanently.

A lot of mine have been said already on the pitching side. While I am not convinced that last year’s breakthrough holds against better competition, if it does it would not shock me to see Bickford in Milwaukee at some point.

As for hitters, it is tough. I don’t consider Ray a surprise on the same level Grisham (has already had success at AA and doesn’t have the upside questions Grisham did). Also, the AAA team is deep enough where it is going to be tough for any of the non top prospect guys to move up from AA and get significant playing time. That leaves seven guys. I am not sold on the upside for Mathias, Taylor or Hummel, and both Lutz and Feliciano feel more like 2021 possibilities. So I guess by process of elimination, if there is going to be one I would guess Erceg or Nottingham.

Here's my top five to "surprise" the rest of baseball:

1. OF/C Cooper Hummel - Statistically, he was the best bat in the Brewers system behind Grisham and Hiura.

2. RHP Dylan File - Could be a home-grown TOR starter.

3. LHP Clayton Andrews - On the mound, is a poor man's Josh Hader... but he also can hit and play center field.

4. IF Weston Wilson - With all the depth at AA/AAA, he might be the best infield bat, and that could get him to Milwaukee.

5. LHP Quintin Torres-Costa - The only reason he isn't in the majors in 2019 was the need for Tommy John surgery.

My surprise pick would be Lucas Erceg. Based on the offseason 3b options gathered, i can only determine the front office believes or is ready to promote Erceg in short fashion.

I know this is probably more you making a comment on the third base platoon, but if everyone is healthy Erceg is going to have to earn playing time this season with Morrison and Healy possibly ahead of him at the corner infield spots. Erceg might have a clear path if he breaks through (why I mentioned him as a possibility), but he's not even being gifted the AAA third base job.

My surprise pick would be Lucas Erceg. Based on the offseason 3b options gathered, i can only determine the front office believes or is ready to promote Erceg in short fashion.

Some similarities to Grisham in that he had initial success, then fell off and struggled. Maybe he is going to have a similar breakout. But I think Hummel and Wilson are more likely. Their floors are a bit higher, even if their ceilings may be lower.

Pitching surprise put me down for Dylan File. I was saying this before Clancy jumped on him.

The bats I'm not excited about. There are a lot of interesting names but they are low low minors and/or really young. Due to that, Thomas Dillard at 1b. Contact improves and his 400 OBP keeps carrying him up the ladder level after level. Sept call up. Side note, I do expect Lutz to explode in 2021. He started every new level with a bad April yet moved up anyway. If he gets his adjustment period out of the way in AA this year, 2021's repeat start in AA could be off to the races.

I do expect Rasmussen and Taylor to contribute to the MLB club this year. Taylor makes sense in MKE opening day if we are waiting for Urias to get healthy.

Also to add on: 2021 looks like a much better year for the farm. Burnes File could make a 6 man competition for the rotation without counting Houser. Rasmussen should be into the pen for good. Lutz is primed to break out in 2021 and Small Ashby could be right behind him.

Pitching surprise put me down for Dylan File. I was saying this before Clancy jumped on him.

The bats I'm not excited about. There are a lot of interesting names but they are low low minors and/or really young. Due to that, Thomas Dillard at 1b. Contact improves and his 400 OBP keeps carrying him up the ladder level after level. Sept call up.

I do expect Rasmussen and Taylor to contribute to the MLB club this year. Taylor makes sense in MKE opening day if we are waiting for Urias to get healthy.

Apparently Tyrone Taylor had wrist surgery as well this offseason and will be limited in camp/uncertain for Opening Day

I know this is probably more you making a comment on the third base platoon, but if everyone is healthy Erceg is going to have to earn playing time this season with Morrison and Healy possibly ahead of him at the corner infield spots. Erceg might have a clear path if he breaks through (why I mentioned him as a possibility), but he's not even being gifted the AAA third base job.

I dont believe currently Healy will make the team. He didnt sign a ML contract. He'll be in camp and an emergency bat if Gyorko/Sogard cant start opening day.. Wasnt he signed 1st? Then Sogard and finally Gyorko? Anyway. I think Erceg has the opening to jump in to 3b role so he'll be the one to contribute. It may only be 1month but its something. I expect he wont be as prone to team control and be shuttled a time or treefour to wind the clock back either way. Why do I have optimism? I think I seen he was above 800OPS to start last season for more than a month in to the season then went cold and kinda a flat 700OPS struggle from there. So new year new tricks continue on that start and become Milwaukee's 3b.

to point that the team cant be serious contenders with his potential flop showing is something the team overcame from Shaw last season. That is all.

Yeah April and August were nice.

May June July were sub 180/270 with an OPS of 630.

Shaw put up 286/437 with an ops of 1023 in AAA

What does Shaw's AAA have to do with any of my Erceg choice? I mean you see now what I'm holding on hope to. Remember it was his 1st full season go at AAA. Often you see players that make it to the majors break out a 2nd time through. Just think how long Tyrone Taylor has been at. Put up 3 months this year hes knocking at 800OPS door. Make it 4 and 900+ is in reach. That puts him on the radar for callup. It did with Grisham.

Taylor's last month in AAA nearly matched what Grisham was doing. It might take a Cain injury to give him an opportunity but I think he'll surprise people if he gets that chance. It also would not shock me in the least if Small goes through 3 levels and ends up in Milwaukee at the end

The bats I'm not excited about. There are a lot of interesting names but they are low low minors and/or really young. Due to that, Thomas Dillard at 1b. Contact improves and his 400 OBP keeps carrying him up the ladder level after level. Sept call up.

Apparently Tyrone Taylor had wrist surgery as well this offseason and will be limited in camp/uncertain for Opening Day

How the heck did that get by this page?

Was it a secret for some reason?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

That would be a surprise since Erceg hasn't hit since rookie ball, has he?

That would be a surprise since Erceg hasn't hit since rookie ball, has he?

Grisham was in that same boat. Good first year, then scuffled... until he broke out.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Since Urias probably won't be on the starting 26-man roster and will have to do a minor league rehab, is it cheating to pick him? :)

I've kind of lost confidence in Erceg myself, but I don't begrudge people picking him to be a surprise. I hope you're right.

Taylor probably has the best chance as a back-up OF; especially at CF. On the pitching side, I'll select Supak as the most likely.

Archived