Brewer Fanatic

Shelby Miller minor league deal; non-roster invitee (Update 8/3: Opts out of 2020 season)

djoctagone

shelby miller signs a minor league deal with the club with an invitation to big league camp.

it appears that miller has two minor league options remaining, but enough service time to refuse the optional assignment.

miller has been outrighted to the minor leagues before, so if he makes the 26-man roster and is outrighted off the 40-man, he can refuse the minor league assignment..

he is the ninth non-roster invitee to 2020 spring training.

This is the type of player that chooses to sign with us as a non-roster invitee because he and his agent feel that we have the largest possibility of having a train wreak of a rotation entering the season. lol

This is the type of player that chooses to sign with us as a non-roster invitee because he and his agent feel that we have the largest possibility of having a train wreak of a rotation entering the season. lol

Sounds similar to the reasoning likely employed by Miley & his agent in 2018.

That seemed to work out alright for all involved parties.

Or, and hear me out here, he was impressed with the organization in his short time last year, and sees them as a team that might help him bounce back to being a solid major league starter. Not every perspective needs to be negative.

Or, and hear me out here, he was impressed with the organization in his short time last year, and sees them as a team that might help him bounce back to being a solid major league starter. Not every perspective needs to be negative.

I think guys in Miller's situation would be foolish to sign minor league deals for teams that don't show much of a path forward for them. Unless they are in a situation where they have family or other non-baseball reasons for wanting to play in a particular minor league city.

That he played in the system before is a good sign that he has a good rapport with the coaching staff and organization. Still, if the Brewers were throwing 5 Hall of Famers out there in their rotation, I think he would choose an easier path.

Didn’t he pitch in the Brewers system last season? Apparently they saw enough to want him back again.

Yes he did, about 30 IP. They must have something there that's intriguing enough for both sides to bring him back.

Yup and results weren't pretty but he might like SA and depth is depth. I'm not optimistic about him but it's a body.

6-21, 6.89 ERA, 68 ERA+, 5.21 FIP, 1.749 WHIP the last four years.

Hooray, World Series here we come!

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

6-21, 6.89 ERA, 68 ERA+, 5.21 FIP, 1.749 WHIP the last four years.

Hooray, World Series here we come!

It's a minor league deal. Miller is a guy who has seen success in his career, and was considered one of the best young pitchers in the game not too long ago. He's only 29, his fastball is still good, and there's a chance, however minute, that he's still got some upside. He's the type of guy that minor league contracts were designed for. A total flyer.

I get what you are saying but the reality is most teams don't have very good options past like starter #3. Most teams do not have deep proven rotations. Miller could have found quite a few other teams that would give him a path to playing time if somehow he is good.

I get what you are saying but the reality is most teams don't have very good options past like starter #3. Most teams do not have deep proven rotations. Miller could have found quite a few other teams that would give him a path to playing time if somehow he is good.

If I was a talented pitcher looking to get back on track, Milwaukee would definitely be high on my list.

Lyles & Pomeranz were probably looking at 1 year prove it deals before the trade deadline last year, both signed multi year deals for a combined 50 million after turning things around with the Brewers.

Another pitcher no one was excited about us acquiring, Wade Miley, has gone onto sign deals worth 19.5 million since he left the Brewers.

If I was a talented pitcher looking to get back on track, Milwaukee would definitely be high on my list.

Lyles & Pomeranz were probably looking at 1 year prove it deals before the trade deadline last year, both signed multi year deals for a combined 50 million after turning things around with the Brewers.

Another pitcher no one was excited about us acquiring, Wade Miley, has gone onto sign deals worth 19.5 million since he left the Brewers.

I was going to say literally the same thing but you beat me to it. We have a pretty good track record of helping vets get back on track and parlay their time with us into big $, and we have considerable opportunity in both the rotation and bullpen. I know that sounds a bit contradictory considering my previous comments on our pitching, there's definitely no room for a guy that proves to be decent or adequate in ST...but if a guy can find another gear like Pomeranz, Miley, Lyles, etc...they can earn a spot over guys like Anderson, Devin Williams, etc. Add to that, we have a very real shot at contending...which must be more fun than going and pitching in Miami.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Shelby turns 30 this year. I wonder how a year off will effect his arm? Obviously touch/control seems to struggle, but maybe the rest will help? He is also at the age where it becomes tough to play at this level anyway.

Archived