Brewer Fanatic

Nick Senzel

ewitkows

As stated by sveumrules, would be an excellent trade target if the Reds were not in our division.

They are clearly going for it this year and I doubt they want to improve the Brewers.

That's why the only deal that would make sense would be Senzel as a centerpiece for Hader. That theoretically strengthens a weak point for the Reds in the bullpen, while weakening the Brewers significantly. Hard to see it happening, though.

If he is somehow a piece that gets Lindor to the Reds I am going to vomit on my keyboard

You might want to watch what you eat and where you catch up on the trade news...

Senzel is exactly the type of player the Tribe is looking for as part of a return package for Lindor..

Am I pushing for a Tribe trade of Lindor to Cinci? No.

Do I think it would take more than Senzel to get Lindor? Oh Yes.

The fact Cleveland & Cinci have a history of deals between them (see Sean Casey (in 1998), Brandon Phillips (in 2006) Trevor Bauer (last year)) helps the possibility of a Lindor deal.

Only way it is happening is if you center a trade around Hiura/Senzel. Reds shift Moose to third and Hiura to 2nd. Then with the impending DH (maybe next year) that is where Hiura ends up long term.

The bonus for the Brewers is they would get an actual positional player that will have a lot more value than Hiura will as a DH, before offensive value is taken into consideration. Senzel has major offensive upside himself too.

Not saying I would do it, but it is about the only logical way the two teams could line up.

I was thinking something like Peralta and maybe another minor leaguer

You like...15% of the way to getting Senzel. Senzel was a Top 10 prospect before last year and wasn't terrible in his first taste of the bigs. He has massive value.

Only way it is happening is if you center a trade around Hiura/Senzel. Reds shift Moose to third and Hiura to 2nd. Then with the impending DH (maybe next year) that is where Hiura ends up long term.

The bonus for the Brewers is they would get an actual positional player that will have a lot more value than Hiura will as a DH, before offensive value is taken into consideration. Senzel has major offensive upside himself too.

Not saying I would do it, but it is about the only logical way the two teams could line up.

This is insane.

Signing Castellanos and then trading Senzel, especially if it's for someone with only a year or two of control, is just flat out stupid for Cincy. But more power to them I guess.

I don't know it I'd say stupid. It would create a clear window, but they'd be really good for 2 years before Lindor left.

This is insane.

It is crazy, because such trades don't really happen. That and the fact you have two win now teams and it involves MLB talent. However, logistically it actually isn't that far out there. If you are looking at it from the Brewers perspective it really comes down to whether or not you think Hiura will be so much better with the bat he makes up for the fact he won't even be a defensive player. Not only does Senzel have every bit of offensive upside as Hiura (probably more) he is also an elite defender at 3B.

Keston Hiura is a phenomenal player with the bat, but he will forever hold himself back by either atrocious defense or being a DH. Nick Senzel is a potential super star talent. I think their values are actually pretty close. I would give Hiura the upper hand because he hit very well last year which dramatically lowers the risk associated with him. That being said Senzel is the higher ceiling player.

For what it is worth I wouldn't do it and I think both teams would say no...unless the Reds don't like Senzel and are trying to unload him.

If he is somehow a piece that gets Lindor to the Reds I am going to vomit on my keyboard

You might want to watch what you eat and where you catch up on the trade news...

Senzel is exactly the type of player the Tribe is looking for as part of a return package for Lindor..

The fact Cleveland & Cinci have a history of deals between them (see Sean Casey (in 1998), Brandon Phillips (in 2006) Trevor Bauer (last year)) helps the possibility of a Lindor deal.

If the Indians are looking for Senzel-plus as a return for Lindor, then they want to keep Lindor in an Indian's uniform. IMO, Senzel has more surplus value than Lindor and the TradeValue site agrees with that.

Odds are, to make a trade involving division rivals, someone is going to overpay.

Yah, the problem is we are both trying to win...which really makes an inter-division trade almost impossible. You would have to really question why the other team is getting rid of the players they are to you.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/keston-hiura-669374?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

Keston Hiura is a prize you don't part with. He finished top 20 in Barrel% top 10 in hard hit% 22nd overall in baseball overall exit velocity. Scroll down furthe Fastball stats great ✔

Breaking stats great✔

Offspeed stats great ✔

And thats as a rookie. His one hindrance is 30% k rate. But in what way would you think that keeps up as he gets experience? The barrel pct is high. He didnt struggle vs offspeed or breaking.

Senzel is avg in exit velocity, what he carries is being fast. His numbers were poor vs fastball but great vs off speed and decent vs breaking. Ks were below avg but pretty close. So youre staring at a leadoff hitting type vs a #3 bat or 4 if Hiura doesnt get his K% down.

Hiura is about to join Yelich in production with his bat. Its scary that I think you may have to separate them say Yelich 2 Hiura 4 simply because they are probably headed for an 85÷HR combo this season. Hate for 50 of those to be solo.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/keston-hiura-669374?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

Hiura is about to join Yelich in production with his bat. Its scary that I think you may have to separate them say Yelich 2 Hiura 4 simply because they are probably headed for an 85÷HR combo this season. Hate for 50 of those to be solo.

I agree that you don't part with Hiura, but you lose me on having to separate them. Just based on sheer probability, if they were batting next to each other in the order all season long, they would hit back-to-back homeruns approximately 3 times.

If the Indians are looking for Senzel-plus as a return for Lindor, then they want to keep Lindor in an Indian's uniform. IMO, Senzel has more surplus value than Lindor and the TradeValue site agrees with that.

Senzel hasn't played since having his torn labrum surgically repaired. His return to top form is not a guarantee.

While Baseball Trade Values is a nice site/ resource, I do not believe it has updated the values in a while (or at least Senzel's value in a while).. As BTV continues to tweak and update its methods, I look forward to its use as a discussion point..

Doubt they trade him in division & not really sure what we would give up to acquire him, especially considering the Reds will likely try to deal him for someone who can contribute in 2020.

The no divisional trade thing is a myth made up by fans. Teams seek good returns in trades, regardless of the trade partner

Doubt they trade him in division & not really sure what we would give up to acquire him, especially considering the Reds will likely try to deal him for someone who can contribute in 2020.

The no divisional trade thing is a myth made up by fans. Teams seek good returns in trades, regardless of the trade partner

It isn’t a myth, but it is quite overblown. Teams almost always prefer not to trade within the division. Doesn’t mean they won’t, but it can complicate things...especially in a case where both teams want to win now.

Sure, teams trade in division all the time, but generally not guys like Senzel who got picked second overall, was a consensus top 10 prospect two years in a row & still has 6 years of team control remaining.

The last guy close to his prospect pedigree I can think of getting traded in division was Sixto Sanchez for Realmuto, but even then Sanchez was consistently ranked in n the 13-25 range, so a notch lower than Senzel, he carried a much riskier profile as a 19 year old pitching prospect in A+ ball versus a 24 year old MLB ready position prospect & the Marlins aren't trying to contend in the immediate term.

What prospects of Senzel's caliber are you thinking of that were traded in division between two teams that were both hoping to contend in the immediate term?

Archived