Brewer Fanatic

Urias Wrist - Update: Had surgery 1/28 for hamate bone fracture, out 6-8 weeks

Mass Haas
Now I'm down the rabbit hole and found this Nelson interview from last year which I'm now listening to

https://player.fm/series/the-moonlight-graham-show/ep-121-brad-nelson-of-the-milwaukee-brewers-garrigan-golden-bears

Guy hit 27 homers as a sophomore in high school and was apparently an incredible basketball player too.

Went to college with a guy who went to high school with Nelson. It's a small, Catholic school in rural northern Iowa. He's a legend in that area, and rightfully so. 28 MLB ABs, with 2 hits (!), are an impossible achievement.

It was a great interview. Sounds like an awesome guy. Has absolutely no ill will toward the Brewers or MLB and talks only positively of his baseball career.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After May he has downright atrocious. His BA was under .200 in the 2nd half and his OPS in the mid .500s. Not sure what the advanced stats were like in that time period (K's BB's Hard Hit rate). I do think his power was just about as bad as you can get. Did he stats improve a bit overall? Yah, but even if they were more reflective of that he still was horrible with the bat and a really bat starter on the diamond.

No need to put lipstick on a pig. Realistically one just hopes we get lucky and Arcia's hot month is April. Then he can go back to his bench role after reality returns. Of course, I am not hugely optimistic Urias will be dramatically different.

• 2 weeks later...

Adam McCalvy

@AdamMcCalvy

·

1m

First medical update of Spring Training: Luis Urías' cast was removed Friday. His timetable is tight, but he said, "I want to be ready for Opening Day."

This is promising ... although "want to" and "can" are two completely different things. My guess is he still misses a week or two at the beginning of the year, and will need to at least go on a rehab assignment.

Adam McCalvy

@AdamMcCalvy

·

1m

First medical update of Spring Training: Luis Urías' cast was removed Friday. His timetable is tight, but he said, "I want to be ready for Opening Day."

This is promising ... although "want to" and "can" are two completely different things. My guess is he still misses a week or two at the beginning of the year, and will need to at least go on a rehab assignment.

Rehab assignment is tricky because minor league games don't start until a week or two after MLB games. Most likely he'd hang in extended spring if he only need an extra week or two. It's one thing to be ready to play, but it's another thing for a guy who has yet to have major league success...to be ready to succeed at the MLB level.

Adam McCalvy

@AdamMcCalvy

·

1m

Rehab assignment is tricky because minor league games don't start until a week or two after MLB games. Most likely he'd hang in extended spring if he only need an extra week or two. It's one thing to be ready to play, but it's another thing for a guy who has yet to have major league success...to be ready to succeed at the MLB level.

Extended Spring Training, I believe they play games.

Agree.... Jimmy Nelson wanted to be ready for Opening Day and that didn't work out well....

A hamate bone fracture is a tad more predictable than a throwing shoulder injury...

I wouldn't bet on him being opening day ready, but I also don't think it matters much. He is Luis Urias...not Christian Yelich. Opening Day or 2 weeks late, it isn't much of a loss.

“First medical update of Spring Training: Luis Urías' cast was removed Friday. His timetable is tight, but he said, "I want to be ready for Opening Day."

Per Adam McCalvy

Good news here!

I'll be shocked and amazed if he is ready for opening day...We have heard this story before...

I can see this stretching out until May 1st to be honest.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• 2 weeks later...
So our opening day left side will be Arcia and Sogard...

Arica and Gyorko I’d guess. Lester will be the Cubs OD starter.

If it's a lefty its Gyorko and Sogard. Sogard has reverse-ish splits. (basically even vs RHP and LHP but more power vs LHP)

People are over reacting about SS. Holt is going to play A LOT at 3b. They paid him and Sogard the most of the 4 healthy options. Those are your platoon leads. Only guy who can change that is Urias. Urias had wild splits last year but they don't show up in the minors so I'd expect him and Sogard to split SS without much platoon based reason. Sogards pretty even with more power vs LHP. Urias is fairly even in the minors but leans towards LHP. I think they split that spot, not platoon it.

Holt/Gyorko is the 3b platoon now. As long as Gyorko is healthy I don't see Sogard playing there a lot. I expect Sogard to be the every day SS until Urias is back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived