Brewer Fanatic

Urias Wrist - Update: Had surgery 1/28 for hamate bone fracture, out 6-8 weeks

Mass Haas

Haven't noticed a thread on this, I likely should have started one a couple of weeks ago when I first started tweeting references to Luis Urias and his situation in winter ball.

Guess I was counting on folks who follow me on Twitter running with the news here :ohwell

My thread this AM

David Stearns comments

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Luis Urias last played in Game 4 of a postseason series in Mexico on 1/6. He missed the following deciding game and had not played since. Around the 9th was when I saw a bit of non-specific Twitter buzz about a hand injury (now known to be wrist). So almost 3 weeks ago.

Brewers shortstop Luis Urias is traveling to the states to get his wrist examined.

He developed soreness in the wrist while playing winter ball in Mexico. The Brewers acquired Urias from the Padres in November along with LHP Eric Lauer in exchange for OF Trent Grisham and RHP Zach Davies. The 22-year-old Urias has a .221/.318/.331 slash line with six homers and 29 RBI in 83 major league games over the past two seasons. He is still very young and could develop into a quality major leaguer. Urias is projected to replace Orlando Arcia as the Brewers' starting shortstop this season if healthy.

Source: Adam McCalvy on Twitter

Jan 25, 2020, 10:43 AM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
left wrist, bats right....for what it's worth.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If they think that it’s the kind of injury that they can’t definitively call minor without getting him a visa and flying him back to the states, I’d say this isn’t just smoke. I’d love to be wrong, but I’ll be shocked if he’s ready for the start of the season. This has either surgery or lingering problem written all over it.

I think any expectations of him missing the 2020 season is a pretty enormous leap to make at this point in time.

Maybe, but if he does have surgery I would expect he could miss a good portion of it which is nearly as bad with a young player. If you are saying we just don't have any idea with what we know right now I agree.

The Spanish article says the Brewers are checking to see if Urias needs wrist surgery (as in, that is the primary goal here--of course that could be just the reporter's way of phrasing it, but my read of the original source is that the Brewers know enough about the injury to think surgery may be needed), so obviously there is some concern.

The worrisome thing for me would be that Urias informed the Brewers 2-3 weeks ago, got a "rest and see" response, and now, here we are. Not saying it happened like that, but the lag between injury and evaluation suggests, at least, that the wrist is still bothering him, and you'd think anything minor would clear up after 2 weeks of rest.

I wouldn't say I am preparing for the worst, but my own feeling is it is more likely than not Urias misses time. "Surgery" can be have widely different recovery options, though. Who knows? Wait and see, I guess....

Great, so one of the guys we were most counting on to provide offense, with Grandal and Mosse now gone, could miss substantial playing time.

I'm not going to run around yelling, "the sky is falling", but to those who said, "relax, it's December", well, it's now January 28th. Besides Yelich, and a now, what, 36 year old Ryan Braun, what proven big league run producers do we have in this lineup?

Hiura had a great 84 games last year. But it's still only a half season.

Grandal and his 28 home runs are in Chicago.

Thames and his 25 home runs are in Washington.

Moustakas and his 35 home runs are in Cincinnati.

Eric Sogard? Had a "career year" last year at age 33, hitting .290 with 13 HR and 40 RBI. A 116 OPS+. Before that? In 584 career games, he had a 74 OPS+.

Jedd Gyorko, he of the career 100 OPS+, who had a "career year" with 30 HR, and yet only a 111 OPS+ because he had a .306 OBP. Does he make you feel randy?

Justin Smoak? The 33 year old with a career 104 OPS+. An All Star (I guess) in 2017 with a 131 OPS+, that dropped to 122 in 2018, and 101 last year. Anybody think he's a reliable producer? A .744 career OPS doesn't excite me.

Ryon Healy? OPS+ of 132 in half a season as a rook in Oakland. Since then, a 97 OPS+. He's worth 2.7 WAR in 401 career games.

Ronny Rodriguez? A guy that will be 28 on opening day, and has a -1.1 career WAR.

Avisail Garcia? Career OPS+ of 104. Had one fluke All Star season in 2017 where he hit .330. Doesn't walk at all. Decent power. 7.0 career WAR in 763 games.

The position players look awful. A bunch of stop gaps. And the rotation? It's Woodruff and....who, exactly?

Right now, this is a 60-65 win team. When do we start making some moves that actually have a positive impact on this team's fortunes for 2020?

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Great, so one of the guys we were most counting on to provide offense, with Grandal and Mosse now gone, could miss substantial playing time.

I'm not going to run around yelling, "the sky is falling", but to those who said, "relax, it's December", well, it's now January 28th. Besides Yelich, and a now, what, 36 year old Ryan Braun, what proven big league run producers do we have in this lineup?

Eric Sogard? Had a "career year" last year at age 33, hitting .290 with 13 HR and 40 RBI. A 116 OPS+. Before that? In 584 career games, he had a 74 OPS+.

Jedd Gyorko, he of the career 100 OPS+, who had a "career year" with 30 HR, and yet only a 111 OPS+ because he had a .306 OBP. Does he make you feel randy?

Justin Smoak? The 33 year old with a career 104 OPS+. An All Star (I guess) in 2017 with a 131 OPS+, that dropped to 122 in 2018, and 101 last year. Anybody think he's a reliable producer? A .744 career OPS doesn't excite me.

Ryon Healy? OPS+ of 132 in half a season as a rook in Oakland. Since then, a 97 OPS+. He's worth 2.7 WAR in 401 career games.

Ronny Rodriguez? A guy that will be 28 on opening day, and has a -1.1 career WAR.

Avisail Garcia? Career OPS+ of 104. Had one fluke All Star season in 2017 where he hit .330. Doesn't walk at all. Decent power. 7.0 career WAR in 763 games.

The position players look awful. A bunch of stop gaps. And the rotation? It's Woodruff and....who, exactly?

Right now, this is a 60-65 win team. When do we start making some moves that actually have a positive impact on this team's fortunes for 2020?

There haven’t been any good “buy lows for free with zero downside risk, but hey they were good 4 years ago” values to be had...

Just be patient, lots of offseason left.

How did Grandal and Moose do for the Brewers in 2018, when they won 96 games and made it a few outs from the World Series? Seems to me that the position player group has a lot of similarities to that group. Yeah, a lot went right in 2018. But you know what ... things can go right in 2020 too.

I agree with The 'stache. Really hard to buy in to the overall picture. Optimism is a great thing this time of year. Yes there is a lot of "just be patient, lots of off season left" thoughts out there. But this is not a team that looks like a contender. I really feel let down by the approach in building it. The fans have supported this team the last two years and will this year because that is what we do. Just don't hold your breath for a playoff type season. There are several teams that are better than us.

The kool-aid is flowing...

I get it, we have people who hate the thought of talking bad about the team, so much so, that anyone suggesting this team has not taken a step ahead, in fact has moved in reverse, is scolded, scorned, and made to feel like their opinions aren't valid.

To be 100% honest, I'm in the camp that says we are not a playoff team for 2020 as the teams sits today. All the people who have continuously said it's early, everything will work out, etc, I'm not seeing it. Barring a big trade of some kind, if this is the team we go into battle with, hoping and praying that all these retreads, once weres, and bounceback guys pay off, it will be a long season. Waiting to make a deal at the deadline won't do us much good if we are out of it by that time. Any deals we make at the deadline could very well be to sell off pieces for the future, not to improve our chances at the playoffs.

When is panic time? When can the people who don't see this roster as a playoff type roster start to worry? July is too late, there is no way we can possibly expect an ending like last season where we had to play out of our minds to make it to the wildcard. Lightning doesn't strike twice, much less three times in 3 straight seasons.

The sky may not be falling, but I see very little reason for unbridled optimism either.

I want to be wrong, and hopefully I am, but if I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet a nickel on this year's team making the playoffs.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The sky may not be falling, but I see very little reason for unbridled optimism either.

I'm not seeing much unbridled optimism. I'm seeing much, much more "wait and see", which seems totally plausible. Divisions are not won or lost in January.

I mean, Stearns and company have managed to put contending teams on the field for arguably three seasons in a row. Does that not earn any benefit of the doubt?

If we get to early June, and this team is scuffling ... then yeah, by all means, be upset. I personally was hoping that this offseason would have taken a different turn than it has when it comes to player acquisition, but they did what they did for a reason, it is what it is, and I just think that it is worth seeing how things partially play out before writing any 2020 season obituaries or calling for David Stearns' head.

I guess that's what bothers me the most ... the people who not only assume, but "know" that the team will be terrible. The truth is, the book on the 2020 season hasn't been written yet.

Also, you are posting on BrewerFAN.com. A lot of fans are, in essence, fanatically optimistic. I mean, if someone can predict that they win 65 games, I can predict that they win 95. That doesn't make either of us right. Skepticism is fine and warranted, but so is optimism.

So nobody wants to think "Hey, he stopped playing when it didn't feel good and the Brewers proactively got him stateside so he could be evaluated well before camp starts to make sure there's nothing serious going on with his wrist"?? The injury didn't appear to occur with a slide into a base or hit by pitch that typically causes wrist fractures or potential serious ligament damage requiring surgery - for all we know it's soreness towards the end of winter ball.

Cause for some concern - sure...but my goodness people have to calm down.

The kool-aid is flowing...

I get it, we have people who hate the thought of talking bad about the team, so much so, that anyone suggesting this team has not taken a step ahead, in fact has moved in reverse, is scolded, scorned, and made to feel like their opinions aren't valid.

Is it not possible that posters have made a rational analysis of the changes and decided that they are on balance still have a good chance to be a contending team? (I have.)

And if you feel bad about being scolded, scorned, or made to feel like your opinion isn't valid (which I agree should not happen), then why turn around and accuse people of drinking Kool aid?

It's as yet unproven; we know what we've lost and what acquisitions have been made, but how the team will perform on the field is in the future and there's big error bars on anyone's projections, whether they admit to it or not. People can and should have a range of opinions, some backed by stats, some by hunches, some just by a desire to be optimistic or pessimistic or contrarian or whatever. People disagree, and that's ok.

MLB's system benefits the likes of Pirates owner Bob Nutting, who routinely opts out of spending money for on-field talent, instead raking in cash from revenue sharing each and every offseason. The less Nutting and others like him spend on their teams, the more year-over-year earnings they can report for themselves and shareholders. In 2018, for example, every team received $118 million, per baseball-reference. That number likely increased in 2019, and will do the same in 2020 as the value for television contracts goes up.

This is from an article on MSN Sports. In 2018 every team received $118 million? Really? How do we have to cut payroll?

Archived