Brewer Fanatic

2005 draft not aging well

DHonks

Well it was 15 years ago, every draft ages poorly eventually.

while that's true, the top of the draft appeared to have 2-3 hall of famers for the better part of a decade. But by 2017, Braun was really the only one still putting up halfway decent years. Zimmerman did have one strong outlier year.

Cameron Maybin just knocked out an .858 OPS (half)season..

Lol, yeah Cameron Maybin is the player I wanted the Brewers to draft with their pick at the time of that draft. Never lived up to the hype. It's to his credit he's still in the league 15 years later however.

Lol, yeah Cameron Maybin is the player I wanted the Brewers to draft with their pick at the time of that draft. Never lived up to the hype. It's to his credit he's still in the league 15 years later however.

The title of this post was "2005 draft not aging well". I simply pointed out someone else that posted a 1.5WAR in 80+ games last year. I never said I wanted him over the rest of the guys in that draft, just merely added a name to the discussion. Your 'lol' is noted however for future potential conversations. Have a great day!

The title of this post was "2005 draft not aging well". I simply pointed out someone else that posted a 1.5WAR in 80+ games last year. I never said I wanted him over the rest of the guys in that draft, just merely added a name to the discussion. Your 'lol' is noted however for future potential conversations. Have a great day!

Pretty sure he was laughing at himself for wanting Maybin

Looking at the career WAR for that draft class really illustrates what a poor defender Ryan Braun has been.

Braun has the highest career WAR from his draft class (48.2) Troy Tulowitzki is 2nd with 44.2. Tulowitzi hasn't really played at all the last two years and only appeared in 66 games in 2017, yet his career WAR is second to Braun's, despite Braun besting Tulowitzi in career OPS+ 135 to 118, Stolen Bases 215 to 57. Braun has hit into only 28 more double plays despite having had 1700 more at bats. Even giving Tulowitzi an adjustment for playing shortstop, you would think their career WARs would not be so close when Braun is so far superior offensively.

After looking at the 2005 draft class, its hard to believe that even with all his injuries and suspension Braun has been the most durable player from the 2005 draft class. Additionally, but for McCutchen experiencing a late career renaissance, Ryan Braun will go down as the best player from the 2005 draft, which makes it even more amazing that the Brewers picked him and managed to hang on to him all these years.

Pretty sure he was laughing at himself for wanting Maybin

I'm embarrassed. I 100% read that as snark the first time. My apologies S & D. I'll put myself in timeout now.

Expanded playoffs or not Braun's tenure in Milwaukee has produced way more playoff relevant seasons than Yount, Ganter, or Molitor. One can of course complicate that argument, but for most of his time here the focus has not been over hyping Braun.

It feels like the premise of this thread is kind of a "no duh."

Guys who were 20-22 have fallen off dramatically at 34-36? Doesn't that just point to how poor the probabilities are on older players? Lots of these guys put up massive early careers only to hit 30 and fade towards their careers end.

Makes you wonder why MKE doesn't invest big money long term on older guys. Almost everyone here knows Braun is overpaid. Cain despite being a GG CF had an offensive year that made him overpaid in year 2 of his deal. Explains the whole, Moose 1 year Grandal 1 year Garcia 2 year stuff we see regularly, doesn't it. Abort at 30. Only offer 1 year deals after 30 unless they have a trait that is highly valuable that doesn't degrade with age. (Cain's insane instincts in CF)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think what he's saying is that many in that draft didn't meet expectations despite starting out great.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived