Brewer Fanatic

jake faria released

djoctagone

jake faria has cleared waivers and has been outrighted to the minor leagues.

he has been invited to big league camp and is the seventh non-roster invitee in camp.

if added to the 26-man roster, jake faria is out of minor league options. if the brewers wish to send him to the minor leagues again after clearing outright waivers, he reserves the right to refuse the assignment and become a free agent.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, this time last year big things were still expected of Aguilar. Disappointing how fall he has fallen but nice to see Faria still in the system without taking up a 40 man spot. Hopefully he fixes some things in the minors and still has a productive career with the Brewers.

It's hard to believe Jesus Aguilar was an all star only 18 months ago, and has since been given up on by two teams .

Bryan LaHair was an All Star for the Cubs back in 2012 & never played in MLB again. They couldn't even deal him for a Jake Faria.

Nondescript 1B only types have been viewed as largely interchangeable for some time now.

Looks like Jesus will be battling it out with another BF.net favorite Garrett Cooper for playing time in MIA this year.

Thought a team might give Faria a shot. Got to be a few teams that thought he might not suck, but being out of options is a major deterrent.

I don't think anybody saw much in Faria. I imagine the Brewers were the only ones to offer even a minor league deal. He's been awful for two consecutive years and getting worse. 2018: 5.40 ERA/5.08 FIP - 1.43 WHIP - 4.6 BBs/9

2019: 6.75 ERA/6.75 FIP - 2.14 WHIP - 5.8 BBs/9

Thought a team might give Faria a shot. Got to be a few teams that thought he might not suck, but being out of options is a major deterrent.

I don't think anybody saw much in Faria. I imagine the Brewers were the only ones to offer even a minor league deal. He's been awful for two consecutive years and getting worse. 2018: 5.40 ERA/5.08 FIP - 1.43 WHIP - 4.6 BBs/9

No one had the opportunity to offer him a minor league deal. He went through waivers, which means that if no MLB was willing to add him to their 40-man roster, he automatically stays in the Brewers' organization on a minor league deal. He doesn't have enough service time to elect free agency.

No one had the opportunity to offer him a minor league deal. He went through waivers, which means that if no MLB was willing to add him to their 40-man roster, he automatically stays in the Brewers' organization on a minor league deal. He doesn't have enough service time to elect free agency.

And since he has no options remaining, whichever team picked him up off waivers would actually have to add him to the 25-man roster or outright/waive him again before sending him down.

• 7 months later...
was worth the chance, but never worked out here. Aquilar wasn't working out here neither, so still can't be upset about the trade.

Right ... basically a nothing for nothing deal. I was hopeful on Faria, and he did show some promise last year in his few opportunities, but was never consistent enough to break through.

was worth the chance, but never worked out here. Aquilar wasn't working out here neither, so still can't be upset about the trade.

Right ... basically a nothing for nothing deal. I was hopeful on Faria, and he did show some promise last year in his few opportunities, but was never consistent enough to break through.

Not sure I agree with that. Aguilar is an everyday player on a playoff team, and a wRC+ higher than anyone on the Brewers. The Brewers couldn't unlock it, but it was within Aguilar all along.

They traded him for a player who produced no value. If we celebrate when a trade works in the Brewers favor, don't we have to acknowledge when it doesn't?

Not sure I agree with that. Aguilar is an everyday player on a playoff team, and a wRC+ higher than anyone on the Brewers. The Brewers couldn't unlock it, but it was within Aguilar all along.

They traded him for a player who produced no value. If we celebrate when a trade works in the Brewers favor, don't we have to acknowledge when it doesn't?

That would make sense if Aguilar were still playing for the team the Brewers traded him to – the Rays – but they gave up on him as well after a less than inspiring audition. Yeah, he has put it together and found relevance again with the Marlins, but I don't think the Brewers should be penalized for that. That's like saying that if Faria sticks somewhere within the next few years and becomes a solid reliever, then the Brewers erred by releasing him. Sometimes guys just find it for different teams and in different situations. Often no rhyme or reason to it.

This was a deal that ultimately didn't end up working out for either side. So yeah, pretty much nothing for nothing.

I don't buy the nothing for nothing just because the Rays gave up on him after two months. Aguilar wasn't bad in Tampa. He put up a respectable .760 OPS as a Ray. He wasn't released by the Rays because of his performance, he was released because they wanted to avoid his arbitration salary because Rays are the most cash strapped team in baseball. Splitting time between 1B and DH, he's been a key member of the Marlins drive to a possible playoff berth this year.

Gyroko's having a nice year, but I'd take Aguilar over him in a heartbeat.

Aguilar stunk. The trade was fine. It’s okay that players go elsewhere and do well.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Really? That's a leap of faith. Two teams couldn't unlock it and that being said, Aguilar has always been a first half hitter, anyway. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say that Aguilar is even a solid regular in anything but a 60 game season. To me, he's a short spurt player who gets exposed the more he plays. He can't sustain over 162. Lucky for him, he won't have to this year and maybe gets paid because of it next year.

Really? That's a leap of faith. Two teams couldn't unlock it and that being said, Aguilar has always been a first half hitter, anyway. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say that Aguilar is even a solid regular in anything but a 60 game season. To me, he's a short spurt player who gets exposed the more he plays. He can't sustain over 162. Lucky for him, he won't have to this year and maybe gets paid because of it next year.

Maybe it's a leap of faith, and maybe it's an organizational shortcoming. Neither of us know. But we do know that Aguilar is employed and productive and Faria isn't.

And given a chance to do it all over again, based on what they have produced, none of us would want the Faria side of the trade.

Maybe it's a leap of faith, and maybe it's an organizational shortcoming. Neither of us know. But we do know that Aguilar is employed and productive and Faria isn't.

And given a chance to do it all over again, based on what they have produced, none of us would want the Faria side of the trade.

If only trades could be made with the benefit of hindsight ...

Congratulations on evaluating a trade after the fact. My instincts tell me I'd be pretty good at that as well a year later.

Isn't that how you're supposed to measure a trade's success?

Freddy Peralta as a Brewer is the reason that the Adam Lind trade is deemed a success.

It works both ways.

Fixed that sentence for you. If the Brewers had released Peralta and he’s succeeding as a player for the Rockies - nobody here would be calling the Lind trade a success.

Archived