Brewer Fanatic

Pedro Strop

adambr2

Sounds like the Brewers may have an offer on the table for Strop. Pretty good bounceback candidate. Worst case scenario should be a back end of the pen guy, best case he rebounds into a late inning option. He was remarkably consistent from '14 to '18.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/pedro-strop-rumors-cubs-brewers-marlins-rangers.html

Sounds like the Brewers may have an offer on the table for Strop. Pretty good bounceback candidate. Worst case scenario should be a back end of the pen guy, best case he rebounds into a late inning option. He was remarkably consistent from '14 to '18.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/pedro-strop-rumors-cubs-brewers-marlins-rangers.html

swing and miss stuff, but honestly I think he'd walk more than he'd strike out if hitters just stood there and didn't swing. It'd have to be a 1-yr deal around $3M for me to be thrilled to see him with the Brewers, which is probably not rich enough for him to sign here if there are multiple offers.

I do know Stearns loves himself pitchers with a good slider...

I never liked Strop as a cub, but he could be a big help in the Crew's pen if healthy. I am wondering about McHugh. Has anyone heard anything about his health? It seems like he should have been signed by now with all the teams looking for pen help.

I never liked Strop as a cub, but he could be a big help in the Crew's pen if healthy. I am wondering about McHugh. Has anyone heard anything about his health? It seems like he should have been signed by now with all the teams looking for pen help.

Not much out there on McHugh, other than the fact that Abraham Toro switched his number from #13 to #31. That would seem to indicate that McHugh staying with the Astros isn't in the cards.

The Brewers seem to be counting on a lot of "bounce back candidates" bouncing back this coming season...
"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

The Brewers seem to be counting on a lot of "bounce back candidates" bouncing back this coming season...

Curse of a small market team in today's MLB economic landscape. I personally would rather have a team with a bunch of bounce-back candidates than one with a bunch of guys that have nothing to bounce back to.

Curse of a small market team in today's MLB economic landscape. I personally would rather have a team with a bunch of bounce-back candidates than one with a bunch of guys that have nothing to bounce back to.

I am not disagreeing with you. It just feels like half of the roster could be described that way, which is funny when you're talking about a playoff team from the prior year...

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

I am not disagreeing with you. It just feels like half of the roster could be described that way, which is funny when you're talking about a playoff team from the prior year...

This year's roster reminds me of what we were looking at in 2018. A bunch of bounce-back guys and question marks. And really, what they are doing this year roster construction-wise is what they traditionally do. Value signings. Sometimes it seems like getting Grandal and Moose last year, and Cain the year before was the worst thing that could have happened to this fanbase, because now they expect moves like that every year. That's simply not going to happen.

Sigh, it's just a hat and there is a reasonable story behind it.

I believe C.C. Sabathia and Mike Cameron once wore their caps off-center. An image search showed C.C. in a Brewers uniform wearing his hat off-center. I couldn't find an example of Cameron in a Brewers cap doing so but saw him in a Marlins cap with it off-center. Strop and Fernando Rodney are probably the two guys that wear it that way in the most extreme way possible though.

I agree, it's just a cap. It's a little jarring but it all comes down to performance.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

He's been solid, but I don't know if I could get used to that cock-eyed flat-brimmed hat. (half blue)

THIS.

I can't stand that guy.

You "can't stand" a guy you've never met because of how he wears a baseball hat?

Ummmm, of course I don't mean in the literal sense.

Are you saying that you never say you don't like a guy, or hate a specific player, knowing you have never met them personally?

Geez.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I would love to add Strop as a late inning pen option. Our bullpen really is lacking veteran talent so bringing in a guy like Strop to pair with Hader, Suter, Knebel (at some point?), and Claudio among others, would be a very solid addition. With having the other 3-4 spots up for grabs, having a few established guys out there with great late inning stuff that could give us a possible 4 headed monster down the stretch in 2020 would be awesome.

If we signed Strop and added another solid arm like McHugh, Kintzler, etc., I will feel very good about our pen.

Could be a high-end guy who we'd get for a discount due to injury/performance issues in 2019. Might be a really good pick-up for the Brewers.

Stearns seems to be building a core of longer-term players and filling in the rest of the team with short-term guys who have proven to be MLB players who he can get for a reasonable price on a short-term deal. Add long-term pieces when you can (Urias, Narvaez) to add to the core, and don't get tied up in long-term deals with guys who aren't part of the core. Strop could very well be a guy who had some injury issues last year and wants a one-year "build up your value" contract so he can get a long-term deal next offseason. Like Moose and Grandal, I'd be happy if we can get guys for a discount for one-year and see them sign a monster deal next year because they performed well.

As long as we keep a solid core in place, I like taking the risk on guys like Strop.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Strop sure looked like he was done last year. Maddon kept giving him chances last year and he never settled in. Velocity has waned and his command isn't what it was.

Yeah, he was one of the guys I was hoping we'd see every time we played the Cubs. Just a gas can.

Strop's velocity was down 1.5 MPH last year and it just didn't work with the velocity drop. But he was having neck and leg problems last year (not arm/shoulder), so I guess it wouldn't be so surprising if his velocity climbed back up if healthy, even though he is older.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-mlb-free-agents-by-position

So looking at what is left out there....Dyson is out for 2020 so cross him off the list....there is Kintzler and then everybody else was 0.5 WAR or less last season. I don't think Strop is a bad option when looking at the field.

Strop's velocity was down 1.5 MPH last year and it just didn't work with the velocity drop. But he was having neck and leg problems last year (not arm/shoulder), so I guess it wouldn't be so surprising if his velocity climbed back up if healthy, even though he is older.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-mlb-free-agents-by-position

So looking at what is left out there....Dyson is out for 2020 so cross him off the list....there is Kintzler and then everybody else was 0.5 WAR or less last season. I don't think Strop is a bad option when looking at the field.

Yeah Strop needs that velo back to make the slider work better. He’s dealt with hamstring (and I think knee) issues in the past. Think he missed out on the 2016 teams playoff roster with a bad knee. So I wonder how much the injuries played a role with losing velo vs him just declining. He was remarkably consistent before last year for 4-5 years. It’s probably a worthwhile gamble to sign him for $2-5 million for a year. It’s allegedly down to the Marlins and Rangers for him now, though.

Hard pass on Kintzler. He’s incredibly BABIP/batted ball luck dependent. With our infield defense that seems like a bad bet.

Hector Gomez of Z101 Digital reports that free agent reliever Pedro Strop is deciding between the Marlins and Rangers.

On Monday, it was reported by Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.ca that Strop was considering the Marlins, Rangers, Cubs, and Brewers, but it now appears that the reliever is down to two. He's coming off a season where he posted an uninspiring 4.97 ERA, but he has shown he's much better than that mark in the past and had ERAs below 3.00 in the previous three seasons. With either Texas or Miami, Strop is likely looking at a high-leverage role.

Related: Texas Rangers, Miami Marlins

Source: Hector Gomez on Twitter

Jan 22, 2020, 10:11 PM ET

Hector Gomez of Z101 Digital reports that free agent reliever Pedro Strop is deciding between the Marlins and Rangers.

On Monday, it was reported by Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.ca that Strop was considering the Marlins, Rangers, Cubs, and Brewers, but it now appears that the reliever is down to two. He's coming off a season where he posted an uninspiring 4.97 ERA, but he has shown he's much better than that mark in the past and had ERAs below 3.00 in the previous three seasons. With either Texas or Miami, Strop is likely looking at a high-leverage role.

Yep. Here is the link to the MLBTR page: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/marlins-rangers-reportedly-finalists-to-sign-pedro-strop.html

I'm relieved. I wanted nothing to do with a big league deal for this guy.

Yep. Here is the link to the MLBTR page: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/marlins-rangers-reportedly-finalists-to-sign-pedro-strop.html

I'm relieved. I wanted nothing to do with a big league deal for this guy.

Not to mention that Strop probably wouldn't be a good deal if there is 3 other teams bidding on him.

Archived