Brewer Fanatic

Trout using HGH?

https://www.12up.com/posts/son-of-ex-mariners-coach-accuses-mike-trout-of-using-hgh-through-mlb-loophole-01dyqz4vr8a7

Scott Brosius' son claims Trout is using HGH and getting away with it because of a loophole in MLB's drug policy. I wonder how many other claims are going to come out of the wood work since Frier's spilled the beans on the Astros.

I wouldn't be surprised if anyone was doing anything, least of all the most successful players.

I heard that the Cleveland Indians once sacrificed a live chicken in the clubhouse (or maybe they ended up just getting KFC?) in the heat of a pennant race to satisfy their slugger's religious beliefs.

So I searched google and a similar theory from 2014 came up on a martial arts forum. I’m guessing Trout has some thyroid condition that is somewhat public knowledge? Here is what the guy said:

“Not going to name names, but a friend of mine plays in the Angels organization says the "medication" Mike Trout has taken before for his "thyroid" condition is TRT or some type of HGH. Here are 2 pics of Mike Trout.”

Trout is likely also using Gatorade, which will improve his performance more than HGH will. I wish the idiots who come up with this stuff actually spend a little time doing more than selfies and posting on social media. My advise to them: Those phones you use also have google... Learn something...

There are tons of medical reasons for guys to be taking HGH and other PEDs. Part of the reason the obsession is so overblown imo. Lots of guys get prescribed it and its allowed when rehabbing some kind of injury. It's just funny it's such a huge deal in MLB but no one cares about this stuff in other sports.

There are tons of medical reasons for guys to be taking HGH and other PEDs. Part of the reason the obsession is so overblown imo. Lots of guys get prescribed it and its allowed when rehabbing some kind of injury. It's just funny it's such a huge deal in MLB but no one cares about this stuff in other sports.

I think the loophole part of the guys claim is important...it infers illegitimate reasons for taking it. Which doesn’t make total sense to me because getting HGH legally isn’t exactly a Wal Mart isle thing. I don’t get how you can find a “loophole” to take HGH.

True, I guess I assumed it's kind of painting any reason as illegitimate. In that even if this thyroid thing was real, its still a loophole to a hater in that it allows him to take HGH to help him play baseball and others can't. But yea, if someone made up an issue or got a doctor to lie for him in order to allow it then it's a whole different story.

I wouldn't be surprised if anyone was doing anything, least of all the most successful players.

I heard that the Cleveland Indians once sacrificed a live chicken in the clubhouse (or maybe they ended up just getting KFC?) in the heat of a pennant race to satisfy their slugger's religious beliefs.

Well played sir. Well played.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Rumor long ago was that both Trout & Harper were using HGH, had been allowed to do so through a loophole in MLB, due to having a doctor’s prescription for it prior to being drafted.

If that is true, the internet has literally been scrubbed from any sort of link to it.

Personally I think most pro athletes are taking one performance enhancer or another...

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Yup, it's so difficult where to draw the line. Everyone is on some kind of supplements. Supplements A-G are ok, H-Z are not. How do they choose which are or where to put the line. Personally, I'd lighten up a bit and think they might have overreacted a bit. To me, take out the real deal anabolic muscle building ridiculous stuff that was going on and call it a day. I'd rather let them take the small stuff to stay healthy and on the field.

Trout is likely also using Gatorade, which will improve his performance more than HGH will. I wish the idiots who come up with this stuff actually spend a little time doing more than selfies and posting on social media. My advise to them: Those phones you use also have google... Learn something...

Ok so I did google HGH and this is what the old googlebox came up with. Benefits of HGH.

HGH helps to maintain, build, and repair healthy tissue in the brain and other organs. This hormone can help to speed up healing after an injury and repair muscle tissue after exercise. This helps to build muscle mass, boost metabolism, and burn fat.

So yeah repairing brain tissue and other organs probably not a help to playing baseball. But the benefit of recovering from a workout faster which helps to bulid muscle mass would seem to be an advantage in just about any athletic contest. What am I missing?

Ok so I did google HGH and this is what the old googlebox came up with. Benefits of HGH.

Everyone has HGH naturally. The main symptom for severe HGH deficiency is dwarfism. Having suboptimal levels can lead to being smaller than other kids of your age group. The "benefits" of HGH are linked to what benefits people who have a deficiency get when receiving supplements. Some of the memory/brain links have been found in older adults (who naturally have less HGH than younger individuals - we produce less as we age). THERE IS LITTLE TO NO data that has found a benefit to adding HGH to a person who already has normal levels of HGH. I doubt Trout would get any benefit as there are no real signs of a deficiency. If he has a thyroid issue and HGH is part of the treament, it is meant to supplement a deficiency. As I stated, their is a complete lack of evidence that adding more helps more. Some People believe that HGH supplementation works, but people will swear that a placebo is the real deal too... Anabolic steroids = plenty of data they do the intended. HGH = none.

Is there any actual health problems with HGH use? I ask because I'm against allowing PEDs mainly because it forces everyone to use something that has serious long term health issues or risk losing their job to those who do. I'm less worried about taking things that don't have serious negative consequences for long term use.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Everyone has HGH naturally. The main symptom for severe HGH deficiency is dwarfism. Having suboptimal levels can lead to being smaller than other kids of your age group. The "benefits" of HGH are linked to what benefits people who have a deficiency get when receiving supplements. Some of the memory/brain links have been found in older adults (who naturally have less HGH than younger individuals - we produce less as we age). THERE IS LITTLE TO NO data that has found a benefit to adding HGH to a person who already has normal levels of HGH. I doubt Trout would get any benefit as there are no real signs of a deficiency. If he has a thyroid issue and HGH is part of the treament, it is meant to supplement a deficiency. As I stated, their is a complete lack of evidence that adding more helps more. Some People believe that HGH supplementation works, but people will swear that a placebo is the real deal too... Anabolic steroids = plenty of data they do the intended. HGH = none.

Based on google searches I think it is a little dishonest to say there is no support that HGH helps athletic performance. I think it's fairer to say the data is inconclusive and that the studies have been limited.

It seems to be extremely odd that given there is supposedly no benefit to HGH that all or almost all major sports have banned their use and that athletes apparently continue to use them.

Gatoraid, however, continues to be abused without any calls to be banned.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think everyone in the 1972 Olympics might testify to East Germany's use of HGH and the impacts.

HGH wasn't around then. The earliest I can find HGH being developed was in the 1980's.

Source? Remember that "being developed" and "widely utilized for human consumption" are very different things. I'm quite sure the East Germans were doing things on an experimental basis long before it was available and approved for US medical usages. I also have no doubt that what they were using and what we consider HGH aren't exactly the same thing.

However, I don't think "it doesn't help someone that already has HGH" is completely valid either. It might not help a baseball player who relies on coordination as much as a weight lifter, but I doubt that its zero help either.

I think everyone in the 1972 Olympics might testify to East Germany's use of HGH and the impacts.

HGH wasn't around then. The earliest I can find HGH being developed was in the 1980's.

Source? Remember that "being developed" and "widely utilized for human consumption" are very different things. I'm quite sure the East Germans were doing things on an experimental basis long before it was available and approved for US medical usages. I also have no doubt that what they were using and what we consider HGH aren't exactly the same thing.

However, I don't think "it doesn't help someone that already has HGH" is completely valid either. It might not help a baseball player who relies on coordination as much as a weight lifter, but I doubt that its zero help either.

OK misspoke a little here HGH synthetic has been around since the mid 80's while natural HGH has been around since the 40's.

https://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/2012/10/human-growth-hormone.html

HGH is very valuable for recovery from anything whether that be simple workout soreness or injury. It can also aid in increasing lean muscle mass, as well as providing more energy & endurance for workouts
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

A team of researchers from California conducted a detailed review of 44 high-quality studies of growth hormone in athletes. The subjects were young (average age 27), lean (average body mass index 24), and physically fit; 85% were male. A total of 303 volunteers received GH injections, while 137 received placebo.

After receiving daily injections for an average of 20 days, the subjects who received GH increased their lean body mass (which reflects muscle mass but can also include fluid mass) by an average of 4.6 pounds. That's a big gain — but it did not translate into improved performance. In fact, GH did not produce measurable increases in either strength or exercise capacity. And the subjects who got GH were more likely to retain fluid and experience fatigue than were the volunteers who got the placebo.

If you were a jock in high school or college, you're likely to wince at the memory of your coach barking "no pain, no gain" to spur you on. Today, athletes who use illegal performance-enhancing drugs risk the pain of disqualification without proof of gain.

As I said before and will repeat more emphatically: THERE IS NO data that has found a benefit to adding HGH to a person who already has normal levels of HGH.

Archived