Brewer Fanatic

Luhnow and Hinch fired by Astros; Cora Out in Boston, Beltran Out in NY

liveforoctober
So.....who is next? Yankees, Dodgers and Indians have smoke around them. I'm sure, with just a little digging, there's even more. Fiers is the Jose Canseco of today. Opened a pandora's box and will be shunned and should have his motivations seriously questioned.....at least unless he gives back his World Series ring and his World Series share. Otherwise, he looks to me like an opportunistic, self-centered jerk.

Opportunistic? What is Fiers gonna get out of this? He's never struck me as the type of guy who seeks out drama. I think it's entirely possible that this has been weighing on his conscience for a while, to the point where he couldn't stand to keep it in any longer.

I saw something earlier that said that the Mets firing Beltran today was indirectly their fault for Sandy Alderson getting cold feet on the Gomez deal years ago, as Fiers likely wouldn't have ended up in Houston had that deal gone through. Thought that was pretty funny.

What is Fiers getting out of this? Everyone talking about him.

Since when does being a social pariah have value? He obviously has a lot of people in his corner, but also many others, such as yourself, that think he's trash. I don't know what type of person would want that for themselves?

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So.....who is next? Yankees, Dodgers and Indians have smoke around them. I'm sure, with just a little digging, there's even more. Fiers is the Jose Canseco of today. Opened a pandora's box and will be shunned and should have his motivations seriously questioned.....at least unless he gives back his World Series ring and his World Series share. Otherwise, he looks to me like an opportunistic, self-centered jerk.

Completely disagree. Trying to demonize Fiers at this point would be condoning this type of cheating behavior. Jessica Mendoza had a particularly tone deaf response and walked it back after their PR team probably told her how stupid she sounded.

Yea I'm sure he's really relishing the attention he gets being involved in a scandal and for being a rat. Definitely something he wants. Alienating former teammates and friends. Sorry, I don't think this makes any sense. Don't see him hawking a book he's selling or anything like that. Really, at this point he's barely mentioned and is just an afterthought of it all.

If he feels so horrible, why does he still have possession of a World Series ring and the World Series share, that I’m sure he’s probably spent on more tattoos or dumb facial hair or whatever.

Yea I'm sure he's really relishing the attention he gets being involved in a scandal and for being a rat. Definitely something he wants. Alienating former teammates and friends. Sorry, I don't think this makes any sense. Don't see him hawking a book he's selling or anything like that. Really, at this point he's barely mentioned and is just an afterthought of it all.

If he feels so horrible, why does he still have possession of a World Series ring and the World Series share, that I’m sure he’s probably spent on more tattoos or dumb facial hair or whatever.

what would you propose he do? Draw more attention to himself by throwing the ring in the ocean in dramatic fashion? Put on the gram for everyone to see and prove his disdain?

Frankly I have no idea where you're coming from on this point. I'm normally pretty good at seeing from multiple viewpoints but it's tough for me to come to figure out this view at all.

what would you propose he do? Draw more attention to himself by throwing the ring in the ocean in dramatic fashion? Put on the gram for everyone to see and prove his disdain?

Frankly I have no idea where you're coming from on this point. I'm normally pretty good at seeing from multiple viewpoints but it's tough for me to come to figure out this view at all.

Where am I coming from? It wasn’t only the Astros who did this. I have no idea what Fiers has to gain from any of this, but not giving back his ring of his WS share makes me wonder why he really brought this up. Because if he’s alright with spending the money and keeping the ring that “cheating” got him, yet he’s so distraught that he has to speak up and ruin the lives of others, something’s off to me.

I wonder what this will do to offensive statistics this year. With everyone paranoid about sign stealing and complaints about the juiced ball, it could be an ugly year for offense in MLB.

This is what I’m going to be watching as well. Astros went from a team that went from striking out the most in the league or close to it, to striking out the absolute least the last few seasons. And that change basically happened overnight. I know they made personnel changes along the way, but it’s something I am going to keep a close eye on.

Just look at the Red Sox when they could no longer use that video monitor after the season they won the World Series. They didn’t even make the postseason this past year. Pretty telling in my opinion.

Could you explain why the Sox weren't allowed to use the monitor last season? I haven't heard or seen that yet. I agree it seems very telling though. Thanks in advance.

Where am I coming from? It wasn’t only the Astros who did this. I have no idea what Fiers has to gain from any of this, but not giving back his ring of his WS share makes me wonder why he really brought this up. Because if he’s alright with spending the money and keeping the ring that “cheating” got him, yet he’s so distraught that he has to speak up and ruin the lives of others, something’s off to me.

------

Again, this makes no sense to me and never will. You seem to put an incredible amount of value on a ring and a small amount of money (relative to big league players). His trying to do the right thing still wasn't right enough in your opinion therefore he's actually the bad guy, Okey dokey.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Mike Fiers giving his ring up or whatever doesn't change the fact that they cheated. They are cheating cheaters.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

This is tremendous, and huge, if true.

It’s not. Beltran’s family already came out and said she has no connection to the family.

Because the Beltran's are suddenly a bastion of honesty? Even if it's not his niece, that person and many others have said similar things, including Trevor Bauer. That person also tweeted yesterday that Beltran was stepping down.

How do you know that he hasn't already donated that money to some charity? These guys don't always crave photo ops when they make charitable donations. Also, who knows where his ring is, or how he feels about it?

I think questioning Fiers' use of his WS share is fine (it's like $400K so no small potatoes) but that's a separate issue from the actual cheating itself. Although I think his only recourse would be to donate it to charity as the union wouldn't allow him to return it.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

So if they determine that Altuve and Bregman really did wear those devices, are they done for a year too? Or did they continue to get immunity?

I really doubt they go after players after saying they wouldn't punish them. Obviously if they lied about buzzers and they did I suppose they could punish them, but they got who they wanted. They weren't after the players from the start.

Baseball is gonna have to bring in a special prosecutor to get to the bottom of this. Get ready for Mitchell Report II.

Could there be a CBA type thing creating a problem with suspending the players? Like the NFL has that almost catch all phrase in there giving the commissioner to do what he wants, maybe something like that doesn't exist in MLB. Just spitballing. But if more comes of this they have to do something.

An idea I had is to suspend any position player still on Hous for X amount of games, 10-15 seems ok to me, and allow them to spread out the suspensions. Seems tough to suspend guys now on other teams as you're essentially punishing another team for something they had nothing to do with, but if extreme enough it could be done.

Could there be a CBA type thing creating a problem with suspending the players? Like the NFL has that almost catch all phrase in there giving the commissioner to do what he wants, maybe something like that doesn't exist in MLB. Just spitballing. But if more comes of this they have to do something.

An idea I had is to suspend any position player still on Hous for X amount of games, 10-15 seems ok to me, and allow them to spread out the suspensions. Seems tough to suspend guys now on other teams as you're essentially punishing another team for something they had nothing to do with, but if extreme enough it could be done.

No, MLB has similar powers. The reason players are not getting punishment is because they stated they wouldn't so they would talk. They are not going to backtrack on that or players will never talk again in similar cases.

Archived