Brewer Fanatic

Luhnow and Hinch fired by Astros; Cora Out in Boston, Beltran Out in NY

liveforoctober

I highly doubt the Astros players are going to be targeted (hit, beaned, plunked, drilled, etc...) any more than other years. MLB isn't played that way any longer.

It will be interesting at season's end to compare the HBP stat compared to other teams.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I highly doubt the Astros players are going to be targeted (hit, beaned, plunked, drilled, etc...) any more than other years. MLB isn't played that way any longer.

It will be interesting at season's end to compare the HBP stat compared to other teams.

I would guess the number of MLB players that are truly outraged about what the Astros did is extremely small. We want to believe all these guys really care about winning but the vast majority of them only care that the check clears.

Especially considering that you're going to be asking the bottom rung relievers of the world to consistently be hitting the Astros and teams to be costing themselves games just to prove a point.

Taylor Williams won't be helping out his career by plunking Carlos Correa. The Rangers aren't going to want to be drilling Altuve or Springer at every chance since they'll be trying to chase them for the division.

I hope, in light of the antics of the current commissioner who behaves as if he is not actually a baseball fan, that people now appreciate the job that Selig did as a commissioner.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I would guess the number of MLB players that are truly outraged about what the Astros did is extremely small. We want to believe all these guys really care about winning but the vast majority of them only care that the check clears.

In my opinion, you are on the right path, but go a little further. The pitchers that faced cheating Astros had their stats negatively effected, which in turn hurts their earning power.

The Astros are gonna get beaned. A lot.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

In my opinion, you are on the right path, but go a little further. The pitchers that faced cheating Astros had their stats negatively effected, which in turn hurts their earning power.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Astros hitters had their stats inflated which is going to inflate their contracts and also the contracts of every other hitter in the league when used for comparison.

Astros hitters had their stats inflated which is going to inflate their contracts and also the contracts of every other hitter in the league when used for comparison.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The more guys that sound off about this the more it sounds like a lot of guys are pretty pissed. I'm sure most players want to make a lot of money, absolutely, and I'm sure that's the number one priority to just about every guy in the league, but I'm reasonably sure that most of them still have a pretty strong desire to win. I don't think you can play ball half the year and not have a high drive to win.

The more guys that sound off about this the more it sounds like a lot of guys are pretty pissed. I'm sure most players want to make a lot of money, absolutely, and I'm sure that's the number one priority to just about every guy in the league, but I'm reasonably sure that most of them still have a pretty strong desire to win. I don't think you can play ball half the year and not have a high drive to win.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28744346/catcher-jonathan-lucroy-says-was-changing-signs-every-pitch-vs-astros

This article goes into a lot more detail. Sounds like the A's front office backs up the story that Fiers did try to notify the league, and they basically did nothing. Manfred is a coward.

You could tell Manfred knew about it when he began implementing certain rule changes regarding technology. After 2017 with the Astros stealing signs, television delays in the stadium were then placed on 8 second delays other than the replay room. Then in 2018 after the Red Sox cheated and won the whole thing by having someone in the replay room relaying the signs, MLB started having a person monitor the replay rooms to make sure nobody was stealing signs starting in 2019. You think he just happened to put these changes into effect right after these incidents occurred and didn’t know they were happening? Absolutely not. That worthless soul knew it was going on and never brought it to light until he was forced to.

He’s a pathetic coward that should absolutely lose his job for letting this happen and sitting on his hands without handing out any type of punishment. He’s an absolute disgrace to the game of baseball.

Ortiz also has 3 rings to sit on top of. He’s no longer a player and I’m sure his opinion of the Astros, Fiers, etc.. would be very different if he was on the losing end or it cost him his 1st World Series ring.

I also view the pitchers of the Astros differently than players who are taking AB’s. There’s a hierarchy within teams and I can’t think of any MLB team in history where you heard that a pitcher was the leader of the clubhouse.

CBS sports actually makes a pretty good point:

Fiers waiting until after he won a World Series and left the Astros to speak up is a common complaint, and while it's fair to say his motivations were not entirely noble, better is late than never. He deserves to be commended because, if he doesn't go on the record, the sign-stealing scheme doesn't become public, and MLB likely takes no action. The sport is in better shape because of him.

Astros manager A.J. Hinch and GM Jeff Luhnow were complicit in the sign-stealing scheme and going to them was presumably a non-option for Fiers. Going to the media? Forget it. Ratting out current teammates for cheating would go over much worse than ratting out former teammates. Realistically, going public after the fact was the only way to do this.

You knew me as Myday2001.

At the end of this, I really hope every single one of the Astros opponents this year had some sort of "bang a garbage can lid" promo when the Astros come to town. I'm guessing the well-deserved grief and trolling the Astros are going to be subject two over 81 road games is going to be pretty epic.

Archived