Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign 1B/OF Logan Morrison

"Every team has done this to some extent" is bogus IMO. That's like comparing the boy stealing the candy bar from the convenience store to the man holding the bank teller at gunpoint. Yeah, every team has used pine tar and stolen a sign when a guy was tipping pitches. Not every team had a sophisticated system of cameras and decoding specifically designed for the purpose of stealing signs. (Stealing signs by traditional means isn't against the rules, BTW. Stealing signs using digital means is.)

Just wait. Every team had something digital to some extent. It’s not just solely limited to the Astros, Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, Indians and so on.

Was every batter on all other teams wearing wires but they were just better at hiding it? Did other teams bang trash cans when breaking balls were coming but at a different frequency? Did Mike Fiers, who has pitched for multiple teams in his career, only accuse Houston because he hates Houston?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

does morrison warrant breaking camp with the club on the 26-man roster?

because he finished the season on a club's 40-man roster, he has an opt-out clause towards the end of spring training. the brewers may pay him a $100,000 retention bonus to keep him in the minor leagues until another potential opt-out date in june.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
does morrison warrant breaking camp with the club on the 26-man roster?

because he finished the season on a club's 40-man roster, he has an opt-out clause towards the end of spring training. the brewers may pay him a $100,000 retention bonus to keep him in the minor leagues until another potential opt-out date in june.

He's already said he won't play in AAA, so your 2nd point is moot.

I think he more than likely makes it as the 26th man, at Gamel's expense. I'm fine either way they go, but I understand the appeal of having Morrison's lefty power bat on the bench.

I don’t like him for not keeping quiet until all of the truth comes out.

What? How does this track at all? In the other thread you’re ripping Fiers for not speaking out sooner, when it was happening, but now you’d rather have LoMo keep his mouth shut until “all of the truth comes out” somehow?

Fiers is a tool who, if he truly felt bad, should have spoken up immediately after the 2017 season, not waiting 2 years to say anything. And furthermore, if he feels that awful and that this was that egregious, he’d give back his WS ring and WS share.......but we’ll wait for that, won’t we. Clear things up? Honestly, every team has done this to some extent. The league wanted to make the Astros the whipping boy, because Fiers spoke up.

Continues to be an awful take and even morso as more and more info comes out. Fiers told others right away, new teams, players, etc. Its basic logic. You have 35-50 people knowing this is happening. After that year, half those guys are on new teams. You don't think they're going to tell people? They all told their new teammates so they could plan for it, who told others who told others. A secret with that many people isn't going to stay secret for long. It even came out that teams told MLB and MLB did nothing because they didn't want the bad pub. The only way to do something was to go to the media. But yea he's the tool and the one in the wrong in this situation according to you. But yea what a POS that he didn't publicly melt his ring down.

Unless he plans to retire he might not have a choice. He's on a minor league contact and hasn't really shown anything at the MLB level the last couple of years. Even if he makes the team out of spring it's no guarantee he doesn't end up in the minors at some point.

Unless he plans to retire he might not have a choice. He's on a minor league contact and hasn't really shown anything at the MLB level the last couple of years. Even if he makes the team out of spring it's no guarantee he doesn't end up in the minors at some point.

Actually he does. He has an opt-out that he can exercise to get him out of his Brewers minor-league deal prior to the start of the season. If the Brewers do add him to the 40-man, he no longer has options remaining, so he can declare free agency if he's outrighted after the season begins. In an interview a few weeks ago, he more or less alluded to the idea that he'd likely retire if he doesn't make the majors out of Spring Training. He apparently is looking at this season as his final shot to make some noise at the major league level, and if it doesn't happen, he's content to go home, live on the money he's already made (career earnings of nearly $20 million according to Baseball Reference) and be a family man. I'm pretty indifferent to Morrison the player, but I admire his decision as a person.

This quote was in an article on the Brewers website.

“I was pretty good last year, too. I just didn’t get any opportunity,” Morrison said. “When I did play every day in the Minor Leagues, I was really good. When you get one [at-bat] a night and you get a start every month, it’s kind of tough to get your timing down.”

That just seems like him making the roster as the 26th man isn't really in his plans either. If he ends up being our 26th guy, he's going to get 1 AB per night and a spot start here and there. If he was complaining about that type of role last year, I doubt that is what he takes this year. I don't see a path to him playing more than that really.

the path is that the brewers decide he is a better short term 1st baseman than Smoak and Smoak doesn't make the team. I agree, doesn't see him making the team as the final roster spot.

I said numerous times, there is a group of 14 that I thought 13 of them would comprise the opening day lineup. If Urias starts on the DL, you have Cain, Hiura, Holt, Omar, Nerd, Pina, Smoak, Braun, Arcia, Gamel, Yeli, Jedd, and Garcia.

the path is that the brewers decide he is a better short term 1st baseman than Smoak and Smoak doesn't make the team. I agree, doesn't see him making the team as the final roster spot.

I said numerous times, there is a group of 14 that I thought 13 of them would comprise the opening day lineup. If Urias starts on the DL, you have Cain, Hiura, Holt, Omar, Nerd, Pina, Smoak, Braun, Arcia, Gamel, Yeli, Jedd, and Garcia.

Braun has a shoulder injury and is unable to throw. If he opens on the DL, Morrison will certainly make the club. Further, they're not going release Smoak and eat a $5 million dollar contract at the end of ST, its just not something the organization does.

Morrison is a mediocre slugger who doesn't really fit the profile of the players the Brewers have, that being said at some point if he maintains a hot bat in ST .333/.400/.667, you'd have to imagine he will earn his way onto the roster as the 26th man to start the year. Plus the Brewers have had a track record of keeping a slugging first baseman as a bench player after a huge spring: Ji-Man Choi, Jesus Aguilar for example

Braun has a shoulder injury and is unable to throw. If he opens on the DL, Morrison will certainly make the club. Further, they're not going release Smoak and eat a $5 million dollar contract at the end of ST, its just not something the organization does.

Morrison is a mediocre slugger who doesn't really fit the profile of the players the Brewers have, that being said at some point if he maintains a hot bat in ST .333/.400/.667, you'd have to imagine he will earn his way onto the roster as the 26th man to start the year. Plus the Brewers have had a track record of keeping a slugging first baseman as a bench player after a huge spring: Ji-Man Choi, Jesus Aguilar for example

I just don't see Morrison making the 26-man roster unless Gamel goes to AAA and he becomes the 4th OF. Morrison has said he does not want to be the 26th man because he needs more ABs to be effective. I believe if CC tells him that's going to be his role, he'll opt out and go elsewhere.

I just don't see Morrison making the 26-man roster unless Gamel goes to AAA and he becomes the 4th OF. Morrison has said he does not want to be the 26th man because he needs more ABs to be effective. I believe if CC tells him that's going to be his role, he'll opt out and go elsewhere.

I don't think that's how it works. The Brewers own his rights, and if they choose to add him to the major league roster, he can't opt out. His only opt out opportunity is if they choose not to add him to the 40-man.

1) Every non-starting player is the 26th man. I can't imagine any team brings a guy into a room and says "You've made the team, congratulations. However, we only see you as roster player #26, so don't get cocky."

2) I don't think Morrison is in any position to demand a starting job from any team in the league. If teams wanted him as a starter he'd have gotten a major league contract offer much sooner and he wouldn't have had to sign a minor league prove it deal with the Brewers.

I don't think Morrison has ever said he does not want to be "the 26th man". He said it's difficult to put up good stats without consistent playing time, it's a pretty big leap to then assume he would decline such a role. He HAS said he won't go to the minor leagues. If he makes the team as part of the 26 man roster I think he'd be pretty satisfied with that seeing as how he'd be guaranteed a major league salary.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

• 3 months later...

it should be noted that morrison is the only non-roster invitee to both spring training and brewers summer camp with at least six years of service time who finished the 2019 season on a major league roster or major league injured list. (shelby miller has the service time, but wasn't on a major league assignment when the season concluded.)

thus, morrison was subject to being paid a $100,000 retention bonus if the brewers had not chosen to add him to their opening day roster or major league injured list, or being granted his release. it's still unclear how those retention bonuses will be handled.

it should be noted that morrison is the only non-roster invitee to both spring training and brewers summer camp with at least six years of service time who finished the 2019 season on a major league roster or major league injured list. (shelby miller has the service time, but wasn't on a major league assignment when the season concluded.)

thus, morrison was subject to being paid a $100,000 retention bonus if the brewers had not chosen to add him to their opening day roster or major league injured list, or being granted his release. it's still unclear how those retention bonuses will be handled.

id be shocked if the plan wasn't to keep atleast on the 30 and see how he does before the rosters start to dwindle down. I think he has earned that. Would have been hard to put him on the 25 man in March the way the roster was constructed but this is now completely different with a DH and expanded rosters.

morrison has faced corey kluber, max scherzer and justin verlander as part of a secret training group in florida in recent months.

Crazy that they keep that a secret. I would love to watch those guys play on a high school field.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

morrison has faced corey kluber, max scherzer and justin verlander as part of a secret training group in florida in recent months.

Crazy that they keep that a secret. I would love to watch those guys play on a high school field.

Right! I just finished reading that story. If MLB is not making an offer for that footage and putting together a documentary or special on it, they don't know what they are doing. One of MLB's biggest issues is the inability to market the personalities of their top players, and here you had a bunch of MLB stars and role players getting together and basically reenacting a version of The Sandlot in real life. I was especially interested in the parts about guys who are normally are big rivals helping each other out. Morrison, who has had his share of big league success in his own right, seemed like he was in awe of being asked to help some of those star pitchers. That is really cool.

• 3 weeks later...

decision expected this weekend, presumably for morrison and at least one other non-roster invitee . . .

again, morrison was the only non-roster invitee whose contract required payment of that retention bonus by mlb. that doesn't mean that other players didn't have retention bonuses and/or opt-out clause(s) worked into their contracts.

I'd think with a 30 man roster that Morrison is a lock. Especially if there is something going on with Braun not playing. I think Grimm is likely to make the 30 man as well. Miller maybe not, but hopefully they can keep him in Appleton for a little while.

My prediction is that Logan Morrison is going to be the annual guy who breaks out big time for the Brewers as a surprise, is counted on as our opening day 1B the next year, and then crashes and burns hard and we don't have a suitable replacement lined up. At least we're on the good half right now!

Archived