Brewer Fanatic

Dodgers sign Jimmy Nelson

The worst part of Jimmy's injury was not only was it during a play where he managed to get a hit, or needed to even bat, it was the awkward slide going back to first base. Was there going to be a play at the base?

Remember several years ago when Chris Capuano faked a tag against the Cubs and their 1B coach said something to him at the end of the inning about how that type of fake can cause an injury or something like that. Anyone else remember this? It was the first thing I thought about when I saw Jimmy injured on that play.

Just sucks, for so many reasons.

It was 1B wasn't it? Now I'm second guessing myself with JN's injury.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really feel bad for Jimmy. I'm guessing he made 6 million or so after taxes in his career. I'm not sure how much he has spent of that...but I'm guessing he is not going to be living on the streets.

Playing devil's advocate here, how sure are we that he wouldn't have hurt his shoulder later? It could have been partially injured and that slide was the final blow. Maybe he could have hurt it pitching in game 1 of the WS?

As much as I hate these freak injuries, the strategy of pitcher's batting is a much better game. To me, getting rid of pitcher's batting is like getting rid of the tall metal slides of my youth. You still can find them...but they are becoming extinct.

I really feel bad for Jimmy. I'm guessing he made 6 million or so after taxes in his career. I'm not sure how much he has spent of that...but I'm guessing he is not going to be living on the streets.

Playing devil's advocate here, how sure are we that he wouldn't have hurt his shoulder later? It could have been partially injured and that slide was the final blow. Maybe he could have hurt it pitching in game 1 of the WS?

As much as I hate these freak injuries, the strategy of pitcher's batting is a much better game. To me, getting rid of pitcher's batting is like getting rid of the tall metal slides of my youth. You still can find them...but they are becoming extinct.

It's funny that you mention metal slides. Those have become extinct because they were known to cause more injuries/burns...

Remember several years ago when Chris Capuano faked a tag against the Cubs and their 1B coach said something to him at the end of the inning about how that type of fake can cause an injury or something like that. Anyone else remember this? It was the first thing I thought about when I saw Jimmy injured on that play.

I don't remember that at all but faking a tag is against the rules and grounds for an ejection.

Best of luck to Nelson. I would've liked to have seen how good he could have been if not for a freak injury on the base-paths.

I had surgery for the same injury Jimmy Nelson had (torn labrum in throwing shoulder) in March 2019. I did all my rehab and exercises as instructed and, almost a year later, it still is nowhere near the same and aches when I throw. I understand his job was essentially rehabilitation in 2018 but I cannot fathom being able to pitch, let alone pitch well, against MLB hitters.

I don't remember that at all but faking a tag is against the rules and grounds for an ejection.

He was pretending a throw was coming into 1B and the runner got down in a pseudo-slide. He didn't actually reach as if he were going to tag the runner, so I misspoke a bit. Just going from memory..

I know it is illegal in high school, but I am pretty sure it is allowed in pros. I've been wrong before so I wouldn't bet the house on this, but I am sure I've seen it recently in mlb.

• 4 months later...
Some really comical hot takes in this thread.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I would have liked to see Jimmy Nelson back on a similar deal, however, I think it's more likely than not that he will never be an effective MLB pitcher again.

That would appear to be the case.

A promising pitching career destroyed by a pick off play while running the bases. Truly sad.

I would have liked to see Jimmy Nelson back on a similar deal, however, I think it's more likely than not that he will never be an effective MLB pitcher again.

A promising pitching career destroyed by a pick off play while running the bases. Truly sad.

Wasn't it after he over-ran first base on a base hit?

That'd still be a pickoff, but just...even worse somehow.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Yeah, I liked 9-man baseball..even enduring Sheets' at-bats... but this changed my mind too.

And possibly cost us the playoffs. Imagine if he had continued developing, we could have beaten the Dodgers in ‘18

Thought he was leading off, but I'm probably misremembering.

I was at that game. (Braun hit a 2 run homer in the first inning and that was it for the score 2-0). In his 2nd AB, Nelson hit the ball past the LFer onto the warning track and made a turn at first, the ball got back in quickly and he had to run full speed back to first and dove in. For what seems like a career ending/derailing injury, it didn't seem like a big deal at the time because he stayed in the game and was thereafter eliminated on a double play. He then went out and pitched the full bottom half of the inning.

I was at that game. (Braun hit a 2 run homer in the first inning and that was it for the score 2-0). In his 2nd AB, Nelson hit the ball past the LFer onto the warning track and made a turn at first, the ball got back in quickly and he had to run full speed back to first and dove in. For what seems like a career ending/derailing injury, it didn't seem like a big deal at the time because he stayed in the game and was thereafter eliminated on a double play. He then went out and pitched the full bottom half of the inning.

Thanks!

That's what it was....similar to how Gallardo stayed in and pitched the bottom half of the inning after injuring his knee.

Such a shame for Nelson. He was well on his way to establishing himself as an elite pitcher...a top 20-25 pitcher in the game at that point and seemed to do all the things to keep himself healthy that Sheets didn't do.

We could have been looking at a 1-2 punch with Nelson and Woody and then hoping that Burnes and Peralta could give us two more young guns. He could have made the difference in a WS showing when we lost in 7 in the NLCS.

And he lost out on tens of millions potentially.

And the narrative immediately after the injury and in the early stages of his recovery was how it was to the back of the shoulder and it shouldn't have as big of an impact as an injury sustained when pitching and he'd be back the following year. Just a total disaster...for the team, the fans and worst of all, for Jimmy.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived