Brewer Fanatic

Dodgers sign Jimmy Nelson

The Dodgers and Jimmy Nelson have agreed to a deal. It’s for one year plus a vesting mutual option. He’s guaranteed to make a little over $1 million in 2020 but could make over $3 million if healthy.

The Brewers should have brought him back over the likes of Brett Anderson. Disgusting.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They shouldn’t have brought him back over Brett Anderson but for that kind of money they certainly could have brought him back......

Agreed. I would have brought him back, but comparing him to Anderson is apples and oranges, and just another odd way for this particular poster to rip on the Anderson singing.

The Dodgers and Jimmy Nelson have agreed to a deal. It’s for one year plus a vesting mutual option. He’s guaranteed to make a little over $1 million in 2020 but could make over $3 million if healthy.

The Brewers should have brought him back over the likes of Brett Anderson. Disgusting.

Based on what? Definitely not the last 3 years of actual performance...A hope and a prayer that Nelson is actually a MLB pitcher that isn't terrible? Being reported that if he performs and his mutual option is picked up, it could become a 2 year, $13M deal. So if he's actually good enough to pitch in MLB his deal becomes more expensive and longer term than Anderson's, yes? If he's terrible it's basically the Dodgers handing him a $1M retirement parachute.

I'll always root for Nelson - it's a damn shame his promising career cratered due to a flop slide back into 1B...but to expect anything really good from him at this point is beyond wishful thinking.

That's one the Brewers will regret big time.

I hope they do. If Nelson gets right, that's a lot of upside. Part of me wonders if there was some bad blood there in the organization because Nelson refused to go to the minors when it was obvious he wasn't right and was hurting the team.

I hope you're here to eat all the crow if/when Anderson pitches well this year.

Also, the Brewers signing Brett Anderson has absolutely nothing to do with jimmy Nelson.

I would have liked to see Jimmy Nelson back on a similar deal, however, I think it's more likely than not that he will never be an effective MLB pitcher again.

That said, I hope he makes it all the way back to his 2017 self.

I think he could be that multi inning swing guy that ends up with 110 innings and makes an occasional 4 inning start to give you a 3.75 era.

Based on what? Gut feeling?

I have faith in Stearns, and he obviously felt he would not help us this year, or possibly ever.

I wanted him back, and sucks that he is just gone after that promising 2017, but it is what it is.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Players the Brewers non-tendered keep signing elsewhere for less than their projected arby numbers and people keep saying the Brewers made a mistake. I don't follow.

And ignores the fact there was no way possible for the Brewers to bring the non-tendered players back for the amount they ultimately signed for elsewhere. Claudio was willing to take a pay cut to resign after being non-tendered but I suspect his case is the exception not the rule.

According to Jorge Castillo of the L.A. Times, the Dodgers and Jimmy Nelson have agreed to a one-year deal with a mutual option for 2021.

The deal guarantees Nelson barely more than $1 million, but he can earn more this year and a total of $13 million over two years if the option is exercised. Nelson was one of the NL's best pitchers in 2017 before tearing up his shoulder diving back into first base. He missed 2018 and didn't show the same stuff in three starts and seven relief appearances for the Brewers last season. He could compete with Ross Stripling, Dustin May and Tony Gonsolin for the fifth spot in the Dodgers' rotation.

RELATED: Los Angeles Dodgers

SOURCE: Jorge Castillo on Twitter

Jan 7, 2020, 10:53 AM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I hope Nelson comes back strong and effective. The Brewers have been so unproductive at developing top line starting pitchers that it would be great to see one of their guys really excel--even if it's somewhere else.

Players the Brewers non-tendered keep signing elsewhere for less than their projected arby numbers and people keep saying the Brewers made a mistake. I don't follow.

I love how people keep assuming MKE needed to pay bigger arby number to avoid sour grapes feelings by the players forcing them to sign elsewhere.

You're telling me you are going to pass the best offer on the table because they didn't offer you more and you feel disrespected? Please. How petty do you think these little guys are?

Playing baseball in the MLB is the same no matter the city. If one city offers you a 5/1 prove it and another offers you a 4/1 prove it, you better have family ties, value venue stability (which works against them leaving MKE) or something pretty legitimate forcing you away from the 5/1 prove it. Players don't just give up 1 mil over hurt feelings that they didn't get 6.5/1.

As for Nelson, he went for the best offer. MKE didn't wrong him in any way by keeping him around when he was rehabbing and paying him quite well while recovering. He looks done. MKE could think he's done. It's a terrible injury to rebound from and this deal could be a 1 and done oops for Nelson, and Nelson could still have something left in the tank later on down the road. It's a long long road back from that shoulder he injured.

I'd be stunned if this deal is a big win for the Dodgers. It's either a cheap flop or it's likely a push. Does anyone really think he's seeing year 2 at 10 mil? I also wouldn't be surprised if Nelson stays healthy and shows he's got something left in the tank when he's 34-35 before age catches up to him completely. Last year, he didn't seem close to back and he really has to take the long road back to what he was or figure out a new way to use what he has. That injury changed him.

Doesn't Jimmy have to be on the team out of spring training? Based on what he did last year, there's no way you can guarantee him a 25/26 man spot. I'm really surprised he got a major league deal, especially from a legit contender.

You have to figure he is going to be as good as he will be by the end of spring training, right? It has been eons since he was hurt. If he isn't doing good enough, they just pay him the money and cut him right? Off the 26 man roster.

The Dodgers have a million dollars in their couch cushions.

I have a hard time believing that Nelson will be one of the Dodgers top 13 pitchers out of spring training. And since he can refuse assignment to the minors, they might have to pay him $1 million for basically nothing (not that the Dodgers are hurting for cash).

If Nelson wanted a chance to make a starting rotation staying with the Brewers was a better plan. Does anyone know if Stearns tried to get him back into the fold?

I have a hard time believing that Nelson will be one of the Dodgers top 13 pitchers out of spring training. And since he can refuse assignment to the minors, they might have to pay him $1 million for basically nothing (not that the Dodgers are hurting for cash).

This smells right: It's a $1M bet for the Dodgers. They can afford it. Low risk, low probability of high reward. I wonder if they're the only ones who'd offer a major-league contract.

Archived