Brewer Fanatic

Top Brewers Prospects by Position

clancyphile
Still bothers me that RP 1 isn't Burnes. Graduated or not it's Burnes.

With his pitch mix, Burnes could be a starter. Would that be a better use of him?

Will he rebound from 2019? Or is he a brief wonder that everyone has figured out?

Lots of questions.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With his pitch mix, Burnes could be a starter. Would that be a better use of him?

Will he rebound from 2019? Or is he a brief wonder that everyone has figured out?

Lots of questions.

Easy answers. He's a starter. No idea. He wasn't figured out, it was location and mental. The stuff was still nasty when he was flickering on but he was usually off.

Lots of questions.

Easy answers. He's a starter. No idea. He wasn't figured out, it was location and mental. The stuff was still nasty when he was flickering on but he was usually off.

Relievers:

RHP: 1. Williams 2. Feyereisen 3. Barker

Thoughts: Covered in an earlier post.

LHP: 1. Perdomo 2. Andrews 3. QCT

Thoughts: Perdomo's the upside guy, but it wouldn't shock me if the others manage to make an impact

You can make a lot of credible cases in the bullpen for the right side. I went with Olczak with some residuals from his 2018. Castaneda's AFL performance rocketed him up in my eyes, and McCarville's run (https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=mccarv000kee) was eye-popping. Your three are easily in my top eight.

On the left side, I had Perdomo and Andrews, albeit Andrews was 1 and Perdomo 2. as for QTC, he was #4, did well, but I want to see how his arm holds up post-Tommy John. Mediavilla's numbers (https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=mediav000mic) caught my eye. He's had two sub-1.00 ERA seasons as a reliever (2018 and 2019). Career WHIP 0.640.

Because so often the guys who end up being the eventual relief prospects are starters in the lower minors, I rarely pay much attention to minor league relievers until they reach AA. I put together my top 25 vote through first doing a series of cuts. Right now 11 players who pitched more in relief than starting would make the first cut. Of those, only three didn't pitch at AA or AAA last year (or would have if healthy in QTC's case): one has the prospect pedigree (Bickford) and the other two will quite possibly be starting next year (Castaneda and Lindell).

Relievers:

RHP: 1. Williams 2. Feyereisen 3. Barker

Thoughts: Covered in an earlier post.

LHP: 1. Perdomo 2. Andrews 3. QCT

Thoughts: Perdomo's the upside guy, but it wouldn't shock me if the others manage to make an impact

You can make a lot of credible cases in the bullpen for the right side. I went with Olczak with some residuals from his 2018. Castaneda's AFL performance rocketed him up in my eyes, and McCarville's run (https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=mccarv000kee) was eye-popping. Your three are easily in my top eight.

On the left side, I had Perdomo and Andrews, albeit Andrews was 1 and Perdomo 2. as for QTC, he was #4, did well, but I want to see how his arm holds up post-Tommy John. Mediavilla's numbers (https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=mediav000mic) caught my eye. He's had two sub-1.00 ERA seasons as a reliever (2018 and 2019). Career WHIP 0.640.

Because so often the guys who end up being the eventual relief prospects are starters in the lower minors, I rarely pay much attention to minor league relievers until they reach AA. I put together my top 25 vote through first doing a series of cuts. Right now 11 players who pitched more in relief than starting would make the first cut. Of those, only three didn't pitch at AA or AAA last year (or would have if healthy in QTC's case): one has the prospect pedigree (Bickford) and the other two will quite possibly be starting next year (Castaneda and Lindell).

I tend to lean more towards results in the upper minors myself - see my relatively high rankings of Hummel and Wilson.

The first jump is from the rookie/short-season to the full-season. Ronnie Gideon was one I was high on, and he flopped in that transition. Fry made that jump, and has also done well in the AFL.

The second one is from Advanced A to AA. Hummel's made that second jump, as has Wilson.

That said, sometimes, in the low minors, someone shows something. Mediavilla is that case, and he will get a high ranking in my next top 25. Two sub-1.00 ERA seasons and that career WHIP... well, let's just say it got my attention, despite a pick in the 36th round of 2018. He made the jump from short-season to full-season, and the results speak.

I tend to lean more towards results in the upper minors myself - see my relatively high rankings of Hummel and Wilson.

The first jump is from the rookie/short-season to the full-season. Ronnie Gideon was one I was high on, and he flopped in that transition. Fry made that jump, and has also done well in the AFL.

The second one is from Advanced A to AA. Hummel's made that second jump, as has Wilson.

That said, sometimes, in the low minors, someone shows something. Mediavilla is that case, and he will get a high ranking in my next top 25. Two sub-1.00 ERA seasons and that career WHIP... well, let's just say it got my attention, despite a pick in the 36th round of 2018. He made the jump from short-season to full-season, and the results speak.

• 2 weeks later...

My Brewers top prospects at each position with their expected 2020 level. (HM= Honorable Mention, S= Sleeper)

Catcher: 1.) Mario Feliciano, AA 2.) Payton Henry, AA 3.) David Fry, A+ HM- Nick Kahle, A S- Jose Sibrian, A

First Baseman: 1.) Thomas Dillard, A+ 2.) Luis Castro, AA 3.) Erys Bautista, Rk AZL HM- Ernesto Martinez, Jr, A S- Ryan Aguilar, AA

Second Baseman: 1.) Gabe Holt, A 2.) Felix Valerio, Rk 3.) Yeison Coca, A+ HM- C.J. Hinojosa, AAA S- Edwin Sano, A

Shortstop: 1.) Brice Turang, A+ 2.) Eduardo Garcia, Rk AZL 3.) Luis Medina, FRk DSL HM- Cam Devanney, A S- Antonio Pinero, A

Third Baseman: 1.) Branlyn Jaraba, Rk AZL 2.) Lucas Erceg, AAA 3.) Carlos Roa, Rk AZL HM- Jesus Parra, Rk AZL S- Jake Gatewood, AA

Leftfielder: 1.) Je'Von Ward, A 2.) Joantgel Segovia, AA 3.) Cooper Hummel, AAA HM- Reidy Mercado, Rk S- Francis Florentino, Rk

Centerfielder: 1.) Tristen Lutz, AA 2.) Carlos Rodriguez, A 3.) Corey Ray, AAA HM- Larry Ernesto, Rk S- Arbert Cipion, Rk

Rightfielder: 1.) Micah Bello, A 2.) Tyrone Taylor, AAA 3.) Chad Spanberger, AAA HM- Chad McClanahan, A S- Jess Williams, A

Utility/Bench: 1.) Mark Mathias, AAA 2.) Weston Wilson, AAA 3.) Patrick Leonard, AAA HM- Alex Hall, Rk S- Clayton Andrews, AA

Right-Handed Starters: 1.) Trey Supak, AAA 2.) Dylan File, AAA 3.) Max Lazar, A+ HM- Noah Zavolas, AA S- Nash Walters, A

Left-Handed Starters: 1.) Ethan Small, A+ 2.) Aaron Ashby, AA 3.) Antoine Kelly, A HM- Nick Bennett, A+ S- Blake Lillis, A

Right-Handed Relievers: 1.) Devin Williams, AAA/MLB 2.) Bobby Wahl, AAA/MLB 3.) J.P. Feyereisen, AAA HM- Luke Barker, AAA S- Luis Contreras, AA

Left-Handed Relievers: 1.) Angel Perdomo, AAA 2.) Quintin Torres-Costa, AAA 3.) Clayton Andrews, AA HM- Daniel Brown, AAA S- Pablo Garabitos, Rk

Coming off an injury: 1.) RHP Caden Lemons, Rk 2.) RHP Lun Zhao, Rk 3.) LHP Nathan Kirby, AA HM- RHP Carlos Herrera, A S- LHP Brendan Murphy, Rk

I am very excited to see how the 2020 season unfolds for these Brewers prospects and many more. The Brew Crew farm system doesn't get much love but, in reality, it is quite deep with potential even if it is not top heavy. There are many names that just missed the Top 3/HM/S for their position that will be interesting to follow.

I've enjoyed this thread.

The current position player group, especially around the infield, is as thin as at any time I can remember, and we've been here since 2001.

Not to say it's devoid of future big league contributors, but taken from the most realistic view, it's not good.

More to dream on with the arms, but that crop isn't spectacular, it's mildly solid.

The current position player group, especially around the infield, is as thin as at any time I can remember, and we've been here since 2001.

Not to say it's devoid of future big league contributors, but taken from the most realistic view, it's not good.

More to dream on with the arms, but that crop isn't spectacular, it's mildly solid.

For position players, a lot of them are types I'd consider sleepers. For instance, Cooper Hummel has improved his OPS each year, he has good OBP skills, and plays OF and some catcher. At AAA, it will be interesting to see if he gets time at first base. There was an interview I've posted, and when the next Top 25 comes, he'll rocket up.

I like David Fry, who could move up faster at third or first. He's catching, too. Maybe a future Javy Baez with more utility?

Cam Devanney is a guy I'm impressed with so far. Turang's also going to be good. Devanney, if he makes the jump to full-season ball the way Ronnie Gideon couldn't could rocket up on my midseason list.

I would like to know about your take on Michael Mediavilla. He has two seasons of sub-1.00 ERAs in a relief role, K/BB ratio of 7.29 over his career, and a career WHIP of 0.640. From perusing the game logs, it seems like he gets a lot more ground balls than fly balls (32 to 17, if I added the 2019 totals right).

I think the infield depth has a lot to do with how they draft. They grab a number of 2b SS options and Cs. They don't seem to value 1b or 3b at all via the draft and I think that shows up in our farm. I don't exactly disagree. With 26 guys you can platoon 1b and 3b into a good player. If you can nab a 2b SS C then you have something of immense value. Then it is lots of OFs who are elite athletes who can't play baseball yet, or have contact issues. But we just saw what happens with those guys when they figure it out. Grisham flew up the ranks. Lutz could do the same any year. Ward is horribly unlikely but another stud athlete. Bello Gray Medina etc. Also our DSL has been insanely weak for years. These kids are 16. MKE just started getting truly active on the front 3 years ago. It'll take another 2 for that to start actually paying off.

Then they draft pitchers completely different. A lot of middle of the rotation or pen piece upside age advanced arms. I think that's where the value is in the farm and I think that's underrated by the people who rank systems. When guys like Lyles Bailey Gausman Hill Miley Porcello (and Martin Perez) are getting 6-10 mil a year to be mediocre MKE is trying to develop guys who can put up 4 ERA years. They had Davies Chase who have been traded in and done just that. Hopefully Lauer is the next. However, Woodruff is already paying off huge. Burnes could be next. Then you can list a good 10 arms who have legitimate 3-4-5 or elite pen potential in the system. Even without touching Clancy's guys.

Woodruff Lauer Houser Lindblom Peralta Hader Suter are controlled for at least 3 years.

That leaves 6 spots. I think this farm can start rolling out 2 guys a year into roles where they can not only be guys on the MLB roster but be arms MKE wants on the MLB roster.

Burnes, Rasmussen, Brown, Small, Ashby, Kelly, Supak, File, Francis, Zavalos, Bennett, Lazar, Jarvis. Something's got to shake out of that group. I don't remember the MKE system ever being this deep at pitcher. It's not top heavy. It's very very middle heavy. That seems to have been the case ever since DS got here. Trading in Hader Houser Peralta has paid off but there was a lot of depth in those years and it seems to get better every single year. Woodruff has paid off dramatically. Can Houser/Peralta and Lauer make that 3 in the MLB. Can Burnes or File make that 4 this year? Can Ashby Small etc make it 5 before we lose anyone we have on 3 years of control?

That's what is most interesting about this farm. Batting, which athlete has the light switch go on. Pitching, number after number of guys who, hopefully, can consistently send 2 to the MLB year in and year out. Which 2? You'll need a crystal ball for that but I think the MKE system isn't very strong 1-15 but I think 15 is equal to 35 and they don't get any credit for that. They should because we've seen a number of guys go from 15-20 in the rankings to top 5 and top 100 in the MLB in under 2 full years.

For a few years MKE had guys like Brinson and Ray at the top or near the top of their farm. They were pieces who lift the ranking of your farm. What have they done? As a number of guys who were in the 15-20 range blew past them and produced in the MLB.

Archived