Brewer Fanatic

Badger Recruiting

Mr Southpaw
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Slightly off topic, but I'm always amazed when guys have schools like Penn St. in their final grouping. Hasnt PSU had some major issues again lately?

I'm not. That's the top school in one of the most talent laden states and a historical powerhouse.

They spend money, attract talent and they get guys to the NFL.

If you're an 18 year old kid, you don't care enough about Jerry Sandusky to eliminate PSU from your list.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Slightly off topic, but I'm always amazed when guys have schools like Penn St. in their final grouping. Hasnt PSU had some major issues again lately?

I'm not. That's the top school in one of the most talent laden states and a historical powerhouse.

They spend money, attract talent and they get guys to the NFL.

If you're an 18 year old kid, you don't care enough about Jerry Sandusky to eliminate PSU from your list.

I suppose that's true, but I thought they just had some other things pop up? I'm probably misremembering.

If you are 18 you probably don’t even know who Sandusky is.

Probably. I have no idea why I thought they had another scandal recently, but I just googled it and couldnt come up with anything.

They've been investigated for a couple things since Sandusky. One had to do with Hazing IIRC. All relatively small things.

Yes there was some negative things lately with hazing and Franklin being a bet crazy. They also had a racist thing happen last season with an alumni or donor sending a letter to kid telling him to cut his dreads off, something of that nature. But they still provide everything else a college player wants and Franklin is a great recruiter.

Think there is a possible TE announcing today.

Jerry Cross to PSU. It is hard to loss the in state stars.

I don't follow recruiting like I once did, but looking at Penn State's signings plus the guys they are still after in 2021, it appears like there is a good chance that they won't be signing a TE in 2021. So if they told Cross that he would be the only TE they would recruit in 2022, then he goes in as the only tight end in 2022, with no 2021 tight end ahead of him. Wisconsin tight end numbers, 2019 = 2, 2020 = 2, 2021 = 1. Penn State, 2019 = 1, 2020 = 2, 2021 = 0 (not finalized). Playing time could have been a pretty significant factor in this.

Sucks as a Badger fan. Bucky may have legitimate numbers at the position now (they sure didn't last year), but the fact remains that there isn't one pass-catching tight end on the roster that has done anything of note in a Big 10 game once you get past Jake Ferguson.

Well, the two potential TEs they recruited the year after Ferguson (2018) ended up switching positions (Cormac Sampson to OL, Jaylan Franklin to OLB) so they didn't have a scholarship backup to him except the two true freshman last year (Rucci, Cundiff). The planned backup to Ferguson was a junior who medically retired (Benzschawel) during the season and their 3rd string TE (Lloyd) missed the season due to injury. The backup TE (Eschenbach) was a walk-on redshirt freshman.

Jerry Cross to PSU. It is hard to loss the in state stars.

I don't follow recruiting like I once did, but looking at Penn State's signings plus the guys they are still after in 2021, it appears like there is a good chance that they won't be signing a TE in 2021. So if they told Cross that he would be the only TE they would recruit in 2022, then he goes in as the only tight end in 2022, with no 2021 tight end ahead of him. Wisconsin tight end numbers, 2019 = 2, 2020 = 2, 2021 = 1. Penn State, 2019 = 1, 2020 = 2, 2021 = 0 (not finalized). Playing time could have been a pretty significant factor in this.

Sucks as a Badger fan. Bucky may have legitimate numbers at the position now (they sure didn't last year), but the fact remains that there isn't one pass-catching tight end on the roster that has done anything of note in a Big 10 game once you get past Jake Ferguson.

Is it a given this guy is going to be a TE? I seem him listed at WR'er on ESPN recruiting rankings.

• 3 weeks later...
the WR/TE line seems to be blurring...

Of course...but moreso from big TE's who play like Jimmy Graham. Not so much the other way around where you have big WR'ers who lineup on the end of the LOS and block(though I guess Lazzard did that some last year).

More just asking if people are assuming he's a TE because he's 6'6 or if that's his projected position. Like when the Brewers sign a big SS from the DR and everyone just assumes he'll move to 3rd or won't be able to stick at SS(and they're usually right).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Of course...but moreso from big TE's who play like Jimmy Graham. Not so much the other way around where you have big WR'ers who lineup on the end of the LOS and block(though I guess Lazzard did that some last year).

Packer WRs didn't line up tight to the LOS, but there were a lot of plays where Kumerow and Lazard were in there intentionally for blocking purposes. Big 6-4, 6-5 WRs that command a CB to defend them, shove them around to seal the edge in running plays. Jones sprung a lot of outside running plays that way. I would assume Funchess was targeted for similar reasons. Plus St. Brown this year and MVS isn't tiny either.

Packer WRs didn't line up tight to the LOS, but there were a lot of plays where Kumerow and Lazard were in there intentionally for blocking purposes. Big 6-4, 6-5 WRs that command a CB to defend them, shove them around to seal the edge in running plays. Jones sprung a lot of outside running plays that way. I would assume Funchess was targeted for similar reasons. Plus St. Brown this year and MVS isn't tiny either.

They obviously didn't line up as an inline blocker, but the Packers often used a bunch formation with Lazard on the inside and they'd ask him to seal the edge as you say, but often blocking down on OLB'ers, or Ends as a TE would do. They also used him a lot to seal the backside when running different counters, especially when Tonyan was down last year.

Badgers line recruiting has been outstanding (if they land all of these guys). All these guys will be Redshirt Junior, sophomores, and Freshman together. How sure how they will all fit in on the line but a lot of versatility & depth! These are all 247 rankings.

2022 Class (no commitments but all very possible)

Joe Brunner ......6’5 265 #3 .#42 ..4 Star

Carson Hinzman 6’4 270 #4 .#116 4 Star

Billy Schrauth ...6’5 285 #17 #152 4 Star

2021 Class

Nolan Rucci ......6’8 295.#5.....#14....5 Star

JP Benzschawel 6’7 260 #16...#131 ..4 Star

Riley Mahlman .6’7 270 #17 ..#134 ..4 Star

2020 Class

Trey Wedig....6’8 320...#7. ..#83.. 4 Star

Jack Nelson ..6’7 273...#10..#104. 4 Star

2019 Class

Logan Brown .6’6 305 .#4 .#15 ..5 Star

Joe Tippmann 6’6 283 #26 #325 4 Star

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Rucci committed to UW

The '20, '21, and most likely '22 offensive line recruits are all amazing.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Rucci committed to UW

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Rucci committed to UW

This is incredible. 3 top recruits are all from out of state and the Badgers are building what looks like a dominant OL that hopefully will help recruit an elite RB. We already have Berger coming in and hopefully Edwards picks UW over 'Bama and some of the other elite programs.

Nab a guy who's from PA and had his list narrowed down to his home state PSU, Clemson...arguably thee elite program in the Nation at this second, Michigan and ND. Certainly helped that they snagged Hayden Rucci last year from ND to play TE...a move that was downplayed by some.

With Graham Mertz, a few studs at DE, OLB'er, a dominant OL...I know they're just recruits and of any program, the Badgers and their fans should realize how recruiting rankins aren't the end all, but it sure as hell helps to close the gap on programs like OSU...and who knows, as close as they've come to being in the playoff discussion at times, maybe this string of classes puts them over the top. I'd like to see them at least add a little more CB and WR'er help(doesn't need to match up with DB U over at OSU, but some threats) to round the classes out, but Badger football is looking at good as it has in a looong time in terms of recruiting. Could this be the best 3-4 year run they've ever had?

I would love some stud WRs for a change. There must be some serious negative recruiting based on the perception that UW runs all the time and never throws.

Recruiting has really been a remarkable surprise. There was (probably rightfully) a LOT of concern about Chryst as a recruiter, especially considering the successes that Bielema had while he was here. Chryst has, at a minimum, maintained that level of recruiting if not elevated it a bit. They're still not in the same stratosphere as Ohio State and the like, but they've been very good overall.

The OL recruiting has been great, but they really need to focus on DBs for the rest of 2021 and 2022. They have one safety and one CB for 2021, one CB in 2020, and one safety and two remaining CBs from 2019. I know WRs can and do flip to DB, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of Crawford or Roberts gets flipped to DB, but you need depth in football as injuries can and do happen.

Community Moderator
Sticking to their core strengths is smart strategy. I can't blame WRs for not wanting to come to Wisconsin when you know they will constantly run the ball with that O-line. But Bucky always has the most success in years when they have enough of a passing game to prevent the D from stacking the box.

Archived