Brewer Fanatic

Badger Recruiting

Mr Southpaw

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Berger would be a big boost. Maybe Taylor declaring for the draft helps if Berger sees a path to early playing time.

That’s a good point. He may have been waiting to see if Taylor declared. If he did, he would pick Wisconsin seeing that he would have a good shot at being the starting running back.

Berger is a nice get. I understand that highlight reels are just that, and we don't see any of his 2-yard carries and such, but he looked like he was playing at a different speed than much of his competition.

Supposedly they're still in on Bradford despite Berger's verbal, so there's the potential to add another talent to the backfield as well.

What is it about New Jersey that the Badgers seem to pull so many guys, particularly skill positions, from there?

Would you want to stay in New Jersey? Point taken though.

I don't think people in WI get to use lines like this. I've vacationed in south Jersey for years and I know you were joking, but that actually does make a bit of sense. It's probably an easier sell than FL/TX/CA guys as the NJ guys are used to cold and snow. It's very densely populated so there is probably just a disproportionate number of athletes.

What is it about New Jersey that the Badgers seem to pull so many guys, particularly skill positions, from there?

Would you want to stay in New Jersey? Point taken though.

I don't think people in WI get to use lines like this. I've vacationed in south Jersey for years and I know you were joking, but that actually does make a bit of sense. It's probably an easier sell than FL/TX/CA guys as the NJ guys are used to cold and snow. It's very densely populated so there is probably just a disproportionate number of athletes.

It's just an area the Badger have focused recruiting on going back a couple of decades. They also seem to recruit heavily in the Ft Lauderdale area, they probably have inroads with the high school coaches and like you say it is probably rich in talent so even if you are getting the leftovers from the big programs there are still quality players to be had.

Lack of competition. Outside of Penn State, no good football schools on the east coast, and Penn State was a dirty word for a while (and should still be). Pitt and Syracuse used to be relevant, but haven't been for a while. Rutgers, Maryland, Temple, West Virginia never have been relevant and aren't difficult to beat out for talent.

• 5 months later...
The 2020 class was really good and it looks like 2021 is going to be even better. They are ranked 12 right now (some teams don't have as many recruits) and look very likely to end up top 20. They are in on quite a few more 3 to 4 star recruits, as well as Nolan Rucci a 5 star OL whose brother is on the team.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
2022 might be one of the best in-state groups ever. Hopefully they can snag all of them.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

2022 might be one of the best in-state groups ever. Hopefully they can snag all of them.

5 of the top 150 players in that class and one more 4 star. Top two are olineman. Would seem like good bets to be able to land them.

Looks like the 2021 class will add another player before the end of the week.

2022 is definitely the best class in Fondy history with Allen & Schrauth. Rumor has it that Allen may head to IMG in Florida for senior year. Think it depends on if SEC schools coming knocking more after this season. Have a feeling he won’t go to UW. I hope he does but he is close to having his pick of anywhere. I’d say FSU, Michigan, and ND are biggest threats right now. Iowa was first in on him when he was Freshmen.

Billy I think is more likely but Wisconsin will have to battle. UW, ND, Michigan, and Iowa are all schools that produce NFL linemen so can’t really go wrong with any. He has 1 SEC in Tennessee. I coached Bill in Football & Track his freshman year & I’m just excited for him! Both his brothers were all-state studs. Mankato & Winona they ended up playing at. He is an athlete. Hope he ends up on the DLine but he will be great on either side

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I can’t imagine growing up in Wisconsin and not wanting to play at Wisconsin. I mean, it’s one thing if your state doesn’t offer something great but UW is where you’d think a lot of players want to play ball. Great school, atmosphere, and the program is usually exceeding expectations and churn out quite a few professionals that go on to good NFL careers. I’m just not sure what else you could ask for.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I can’t imagine growing up in Wisconsin and not wanting to play at Wisconsin. I mean, it’s one thing if your state doesn’t offer something great but UW is where you’d think a lot of players want to play ball. Great school, atmosphere, and the program is usually exceeding expectations and churn out quite a few professionals that go on to good NFL careers. I’m just not sure what else you could ask for.

Location matters to some. For example maybe they are tired of living in the state and want to experience living somewhere else. At 18 or 19 years old if I had the choice to go anywhere on a scholarship Florida, Texas and California are far better options than Wisconsin weather wise.

They could also have a better relationship with a coach at another school.

• 3 weeks later...
Defensive backfield is one of the areas they needed clear improvement from in order compete with OSU. They seem to have done that in recruiting, of course lots of steps to go before they're on the field but its a start. If this continues, then WR would be the other clear area where they could improve a lot. Unfortunately they just lost their best WR coach they've had in countless years who was also one of their best recruiters. They had started doing better there, we'll see what happens now.

Defensive backfield is one of the areas they needed clear improvement from in order compete with OSU. They seem to have done that in recruiting, of course lots of steps to go before they're on the field but its a start. If this continues, then WR would be the other clear area where they could improve a lot. Unfortunately they just lost their best WR coach they've had in countless years who was also one of their best recruiters. They had started doing better there, we'll see what happens now.

Yeah, I remember a discussion on here last year where people were arguing that the talent gap wasn't that wide. Take a look at the QB's/WR'ers and CB's drafted from Ohio State in just the past few years compared to the Badgers?

But the Badgers have Mertz..they're loading up on the secondary. I don't know that they need elite WR'er recruits as long as they can keep playing their style, but if they can keep recruiting at this level, maybe it won't take a perfect game from the Badgers and a terrible game from the Buckeyes in order for us to hope to have a prayer.

Just keep that wall around Wisconsin for the next couple years and try and steal a couple ESPN 300 recruits and we should have a real chance to compete in the near future.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Jerry Cross 6' 6" WR out of Milwaukee is down to Penn State and Wisconsin in the 2022 class. It would be a great get at WR or maybe he fills out and becomes a hybrid TE/WR. Having that kind of height is hard to beat.

Archived