Brewer Fanatic

Interesting read: Why small-market excuses for not spending don't hold up...

TURBO
I read this article this morning and laughed at all of the completely unsupported assumptions. It had to be written by a fan of a team in a large market who was tired of hearing fans outside of the large markets clamour for some sort of even playing field. Then I saw who it was written by and chuckled - not only does he follow a large market team, but I can't say that I've ever read an article of his and not thought "They pay this guy to write this nonsense? Really?" (and I should know, I was once - a long time ago - paid to write that nonsense. I suspect that I wasn't particularly good at it, but at least I can say that everything I wrote was supportable by facts).

Same reaction I had when I read it. It gave no info or details. Basically just saying, don't believe them, keep demanding them to do more. With no actual data supporting it as to why.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I read this article this morning and laughed at all of the completely unsupported assumptions. It had to be written by a fan of a team in a large market who was tired of hearing fans outside of the large markets clamour for some sort of even playing field. Then I saw who it was written by and chuckled - not only does he follow a large market team, but I can't say that I've ever read an article of his and not thought "They pay this guy to write this nonsense? Really?" (and I should know, I was once - a long time ago - paid to write that nonsense. I suspect that I wasn't particularly good at it, but at least I can say that everything I wrote was supportable by facts).

Same reaction I had when I read it. It gave no info or details. Basically just saying, don't believe them, keep demanding them to do more. With no actual data supporting it as to why.

Sounds like a complete copy of Winkler's twitter lately. Still waiting to see those numbers that show the Brewers have just as much revenue as the big market teams.

The Dodgers had a 270+ million payroll in 2015, and are currently projected to have about a 173 million dollar opening day payroll in 2020. About a 100 million dollar cut. Why no articles stating, "The Dodgers have no excuse for this type of payroll reduction. So what if the Dodgers payroll is 220 million and then they have to spend about another 10 million in a luxury tax penalty? This is a team that generates nearly 550 million in revenue each season and has an operating income of nearly 100 million dollars annually."

Sounds like a complete copy of Winkler's twitter lately. Still waiting to see those numbers that show the Brewers have just as much revenue as the big market teams.

The more I listen to Bart Winkler, the more detestable he becomes. He's what happens if Brewers and Packers twitter is given a mouthpiece. Just one terrible hot take after another.

• Rockies owner Dick Monfort said after the season that he anticipates a drop in attendance based on the poor 2019, and a new television contract with AT&T Sports Networks doesn’t kick in until 2021. As Monfort noted going into ’19, with the increased player spending, payroll is based on revenue.

Cot's Baseball Contracts has the Rockies around $150 million for this year at this point. My question is how much different is the Rockies revenue than the Brewers? If payroll is based on revenue should we be in that same payroll area?

• Rockies owner Dick Monfort said after the season that he anticipates a drop in attendance based on the poor 2019, and a new television contract with AT&T Sports Networks doesn’t kick in until 2021. As Monfort noted going into ’19, with the increased player spending, payroll is based on revenue.

Cot's Baseball Contracts has the Rockies around $150 million for this year at this point. My question is how much different is the Rockies revenue than the Brewers? If payroll is based on revenue should we be in that same payroll area?

TV deals look relatively similar, 20 million for Colorado vs 24 million for Milwaukee based on the 2016 FG article.

Colorado has better attendance figures than Milwaukee over the last few seasons though...

2019: 2,993,244 vs 2,923,333

2018: 3,015,888 vs 2,850,875

2017: 2,953,650 vs 2,627,705

2016: 2,602,524 vs 2,314,614

Of course, there are many other rows in both the revenue & expense columns outside of tv money, attendance & payroll.

Another thing to consider is that Colorado is often viewed as one of the more inept, rudderless organizations whereas Milwaukee is generally regarded among the more forward thinking teams, for whatever that is or isn't worth.

• 2 weeks later...

MLB Offseason Spending

The complaints about not spending continue to not add up. Brewers continue to be in the middle of the pack with spending even though they are the smallest market.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived