Brewer Fanatic

2020 Misc MLB News

sveumrules

For sure, the historical context of everything and a sport obsessed with numbers is the big hurdle. However, baseball is at a bit of a crossroads here in general to adjust and in a way modernize. Sometimes change can be needed for the long term good even if it's difficult in the moment.

But first thing to come up solutions is the 3TO issue going on which I knew many here have discussed.. I think the last couple rounds of the playoffs has shown having runners on base and stuff happening leads to more exciting play than a HR contest. Some outside the box seemingly drastic ideas might be needed on that too

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nationals declined 1B/DH Eric Thames' $4 million mutual option for 2021.

He's due a $1 million buyout instead. Thames finished the condensed 2020 regular season with a poor .203/.300/.317 batting line, tallying only three home runs and 12 RBI in 140 plate appearances.

SOURCE: Mark Zuckerman on Twitter

Oct 28, 2020, 2:49 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Diamondbacks declined RHP Junior Guerra's $3.5 million club option for 2021.

Guerra technically remains under Arizona's control as an arbitration-eligible player, and the team will have until December 2 to decide whether to non-tender him. The 35-year-old right-hander posted an uneven 3.04 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, and 21/15 K/BB ratio over 23 2/3 innings of relief during the condensed 2020 campaign.

SOURCE: Steve Gilbert on Twitter

Oct 28, 2020, 2:00 PM ET

I like the extra innings runner on 2nd thing, but I'd set that with the goal of avoiding excessively long games. I would not start with a runner on base in the 10-12 innings.

One side question I wondered, did any coach ever walk the leadoff hitter in extras to immediately set up a double play?

This past weekend, Jon Lester, in appreciation of Cubs fans, bought over $30K in Miller Lites at four Wrigley neighborhood bars (and added a 34% tip for a total tab of $47K).

With bars and restaurants in Chicago closing for indoor service as of 6am Friday morning, I want to know how that many beers were served in limited outdoor dining space.

Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that players want to keep the universal designated hitter for 2021, but owners want them to agree to keep the expanded playoffs for the 2021 season in exchange.

Passan adds that "players don't find that to be a particularly equitable trade" and that "some executives believe the universal DH will stick around, even if the MLBPA doesn't agree to the expanded playoffs." A decision on whether to keep the DH in the National League next season would seemingly have to be made relatively early in the offseason, as teams need to plan accordingly.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Nov 4, 2020, 4:51 PM ET

This is good news. I didn't want this trainwreck anywhere near a Brewers uniform.

Jeff Passan of ESPN reports the Blue Jays and free agent left-hander Robbie Ray are in agreement on a one-year, $8 million deal.

The agreement will go down as a re-signing after the Jays acquired the southpaw from the Diamondbacks near the trade deadline this past season. With the Jays, Ray posted a 4.79 ERA and 1.74 WHIP while striking out 25 in 20 2/3 innings of work. Passan reports the club will use the 29-year-old as a starter next year.

SOURCE: Jeff Passan on Twitter

Nov 7, 2020, 3:01 PM ET

This is good news. I didn't want this trainwreck anywhere near a Brewers uniform.

Jeff Passan of ESPN reports the Blue Jays and free agent left-hander Robbie Ray are in agreement on a one-year, $8 million deal.

The agreement will go down as a re-signing after the Jays acquired the southpaw from the Diamondbacks near the trade deadline this past season. With the Jays, Ray posted a 4.79 ERA and 1.74 WHIP while striking out 25 in 20 2/3 innings of work. Passan reports the club will use the 29-year-old as a starter next year.

SOURCE: Jeff Passan on Twitter

Nov 7, 2020, 3:01 PM ET

Very good news. I also wanted no part of him and his walks....especially at $8 million. W00F.

Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch thought Ryan Tepera was the 10th most valuable player in the National League this year.

I feel like there has to be more to that story. Just really strange.

Also, I hope Tepera has an “MVP votes” performance bonus in his contract so it will at least cost the Cubs a few extra dollars.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch thought Ryan Tepera was the 10th most valuable player in the National League this year.

I feel like there has to be more to that story. Just really strange.

Also, I hope Tepera has an “MVP votes” performance bonus in his contract so it will at least cost the Cubs a few extra dollars.

I thought maybe he had like 4 or 5 dominant outings against the Cardinals this year since the writer was from STL so I looked up his splits, 2 games, 2.1 IP, 2 ER, 7.71 ERA...nope.

Kim Ng has broken the glass ceiling with the Marlins. She's their new GM!

That's great news if she was the best qualified person to choose from... I hope they didn't hire her just because she's a woman.

Kim Ng has broken the glass ceiling with the Marlins. She's their new GM!

That's great news if she was the best qualified person to choose from... I hope they didn't hire her just because she's a woman.

Have you seen her resume? Do you ask that "best-qualified" question every time a new GM is hired?

Community Moderator
Given her resume, if she was a man she would have been made a GM at least 10 years ago and her first GM job would have been with a much higher profile franchise than the Marlins. But still, kudos to the Marlins for this move.

Archived