Brewer Fanatic

2020 Misc MLB News

sveumrules
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Macha was the opposite of Roenicke. He was smart and fairly strategic, but he couldn't relate to his players. Earning respect from your players is part of the job description. If you can't do it, you're not going to get through to them on much.

Counsell is not perfect, but for the most part he is the best of both worlds.

I get what you're saying but if someone used Macha as a reason they couldn't hit that year that's a pretty lame excuse.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Macha was the opposite of Roenicke. He was smart and fairly strategic, but he couldn't relate to his players. Earning respect from your players is part of the job description. If you can't do it, you're not going to get through to them on much.

Counsell is not perfect, but for the most part he is the best of both worlds.

I get what you're saying but if someone used Macha as a reason they couldn't hit that year that's a pretty lame excuse.

Couldn’t hit? They were top 5 in NL in every offensive stat.

TJ recommended for Severino.

Hmmm...

How about this:

Brewers get:

3B Miguel Andujar

OF Ryder Green

OF/IF Alex Garcia

RHP Luis Gil

Yankees get:

RHP Corbin Burnes

LHP Alex Claudio

:( :(

Unless we are getting back some serious thunder, this isn't the best time to trade Burnes imo. I'm just curious why you didn't include Lutz and or Turang...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/zach-eflin-mlb-new-baseballs-grip

Has anyone else seen anything on the ball for this year? This article and commentary seems to indicate a less juiced ball for 2020.

I havent, but hopefully it means Burnes and Hader keep the ball in the park and become studs again! Although, it will hurt Sogard if thats the case.

What is spring training without a Chris Sale injury update? Sore elbow, will visit Dr. Andrews. Way to sign that big extension just in time.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

What is spring training without a Chris Sale injury update? Sore elbow, will visit Dr. Andrews. Way to sign that big extension just in time.

and lucky me, I have him in 3 keeper leagues...

:(

I finally dropped him this year. Should have traded him last season.

I finally dropped him this year. Should have traded him last season.

I did trade him in one league , so I really only have him in 2 leagues.

So, when White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf met last week with his team, telling his players he was available for anything they needed, he told Keuchel afterwards that he wanted to see him.

“I thought, 'Oh, crap, I’ve got to trim this even more,’ ’’ said Keuchel, who has had a beard since 2014. “He was like, 'Hey, man, you’re officially violating team policy. But I hear you’re a great guy. So let’s just keep winning, and we’ll be all right.’

“I said, 'All right. My guy.’ Now, we’ve just to keep winning to keep this beard going.’’

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/whitesox/2020/03/04/white-sox-dallas-keuchel-beard/4941225002/

As if team rules about facial hair weren't stupid enough, it's apparently acceptable to violate those rules if "you're a great guy" and "you keep winning". Whatever that even means.

So, when White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf met last week with his team, telling his players he was available for anything they needed, he told Keuchel afterwards that he wanted to see him.

“I thought, 'Oh, crap, I’ve got to trim this even more,’ ’’ said Keuchel, who has had a beard since 2014. “He was like, 'Hey, man, you’re officially violating team policy. But I hear you’re a great guy. So let’s just keep winning, and we’ll be all right.’

“I said, 'All right. My guy.’ Now, we’ve just to keep winning to keep this beard going.’’

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/whitesox/2020/03/04/white-sox-dallas-keuchel-beard/4941225002/

As if team rules about facial hair weren't stupid enough, it's apparently acceptable to violate those rules if "you're a great guy" and "you keep winning". Whatever that even means.

I'm not going to dispute that the rules for facial hair are generally stupid, but the more likely reasons for letting him keep it are how iconic his beard is...and he's a highly paid player that he wants to keep happy. I recall numerous past instances of White Sox management being a bit obtuse about really small things...the biggest being Adam LaRoche abruptly retiring because they complained to him about having his kid around the clubhouse too often. This is just a fun way to help build a positive relationship with one of your most highly paid players.

I'm not going to dispute that the rules for facial hair are generally stupid, but the more likely reasons for letting him keep it are how iconic his beard is...and he's a highly paid player that he wants to keep happy. I recall numerous past instances of White Sox management being a bit obtuse about really small things...the biggest being Adam LaRoche abruptly retiring because they complained to him about having his kid around the clubhouse too often. This is just a fun way to help build a positive relationship with one of your most highly paid players.

I get that but it's an obvious double standard. What happens when the 26th guy on the roster grows a lumberjack beard? Will they tell him to trim it and what if he doesn't? You can't have a rule and then only enforce it for certain players. The article even mentions they made Chris Sale and Jose Abreu trim their beards.

Haven't the Yankees had this same no facial hair/keep your hair cut short deal forever?

I get that but it's an obvious double standard. What happens when the 26th guy on the roster grows a lumberjack beard? Will they tell him to trim it and what if he doesn't? You can't have a rule and then only enforce it for certain players. The article even mentions they made Chris Sale and Jose Abreu trim their beards.

There are superstar rules and everybody else rules. The 26th player will get his ass sent back to the minors for someone else that will obey the rules.

I saw that Trey Mancini of Baltimore had a malignant tumor removed from his colon. That's brutal. Colon cancer at age 27. Just feel for the guy and his family. Hope they got the cancer before it spread - and it doesn't return.

This is why some players take those 'bargain' first contracts - like Freddy recently did. You never know what life will throw at you.

• 2 months later...

MLB reporter Francys Romero hears that David Price will give $1,000 in June to every Dodgers minor leaguer.

It's an incredibly nice gesture, especially considering that Price hasn't even officially thrown a pitch for the Dodgers yet. The Dodgers have also committed to continue paying their minor leaguers $400 per week through the end of June.

Source: Francys Romero on Twitter

May 29, 2020, 8:58 AM ET

• 3 weeks later...

Woh!

The Dominican Republic newspaper El Nuevo Diario has reported that Miguel Sano and three of his friends have been accused of kidnapping, beating and threatening to hang Raudy Omar Sanchez de la Cruz during an incident last month in San Pedro de Macoris.

The Twins slugger told the newspaper that he is being blackmailed and that Sanchez de la Cruz asked for 10 million Dominican pesos (which is the equivalent of about $170,000) to drop the accusations. Sano said he would sue Sanchez de la Cruz's lawyer, Odalis Ramos, for 30 million pesos (or about $500,000) and also noted that Sanchez de la Cruz was involved in a sexual assault of a young relative of Sano’s. It's certainly a bizarre situation that we're sure to hear more about. “We will continue to monitor the situation and hope to have more as it becomes available,” Twins spokesman Dustin Morse said.

Source: Associated Press

Jun 18, 2020, 4:42 PM ET

Archived