Brewer Fanatic

2020 Misc MLB News

sveumrules
  • Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ron Roenicke to be the Red Sox manager this season. There ya go.

Better them, than us!

I was an anti RRR fan, one of the happiest days as a Brewer fan was when he left...

I don't mean this to be snarky at all, so don't take it that way, but have the Brewers ever had a manager that you've liked?

Personally I still think he cost the Brewers a championship. I like Counsell, but every manager before him that they've had during my conscious life left a lot to be desired. My runner up is probably Yost, just because he did seem to keep a clubhouse together. Tactically he was as bad as any others.

Personally I still think he cost the Brewers a championship. I like Counsell, but every manager before him that they've had during my conscious life left a lot to be desired. My runner up is probably Yost, just because he did seem to keep a clubhouse together. Tactically he was as bad as any others.

That's sort of where I'm at as well. Roenicke was fine, but seemed to be in over his head once the team became good. I really liked Phil Garner, and have always felt like he got a raw deal at the end of his time in Milwaukee. He was fighting a losing battle with idiot ownership and bumbling front office.

In 2011 when the Brewers won 96 games RRR used 105 different lineups. Outside of seven Estrada starts, five guys took the other 157 starts with Narveson throwing the fewest innings among starters at 161.

In 2018 when the Brewers won 96 games CC used 137 different lineups. Eleven different pitchers started a game with only Chacin topping Narveson's 161 innings from the 2011 team.

A lot sure seems to have changed in not all that much time.

Roenicke was a good manager as far as leadership and earning player respect, as opposed to Macha, but strategy-wise he seemed to be winging it. He overdid smallball to a fault, seemed intent on reserving relievers for specific innings, and had circles managed around him in the NLCS by TLR.

Roenicke was a good manager as far as leadership and earning player respect, as opposed to Macha, but strategy-wise he seemed to be winging it. He overdid smallball to a fault, seemed intent on reserving relievers for specific innings, and had circles managed around him in the NLCS by TLR.

TLR managing style pretty much comes down to finding an excuse to repeatedly bean any player who's hitting well...yet RRR couldn't even top that...

Ron Roenicke to be the Red Sox manager this season. There ya go.

Better them, than us!

I was an anti RRR fan, one of the happiest days as a Brewer fan was when he left...

I don't mean this to be snarky at all, so don't take it that way, but have the Brewers ever had a manager that you've liked?

Snarky or not, I don't blindly follow a manger just because he's our manager. To be honest, RRR is the only manager I have ever disliked to the point of ruining my Brewer experience. Yost was close to RRR territory, especially by the end, but RRR was just so damn bad nightly...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Snarky or not, I don't blindly follow a manger just because he's our manager. To be honest, RRR is the only manager I have ever disliked to the point of ruining my Brewer experience. Yost was close to RRR territory, especially by the end, but RRR was just so damn bad nightly...

That’s how I feel with Macha. He had a solid team on paper, but he ran his team into the ground with listless, emotionless performances day in and day out. The only time I’ve ever emotionally given up on a season was under Macha.

That’s how I feel with Macha. He had a solid team on paper, but he ran his team into the ground with listless, emotionless performances day in and day out. The only time I’ve ever emotionally given up on a season was under Macha.

I would like to think all this reminiscing helps people appreciate CC a little bit more. Also thinking back to Melvin not guiding us to more success in Braun's prime years would help appreciate Stearns a bit more.

It wasn't listlessness that doomed Macha. It was pitching staffs that relied on names like Looper, Suppan, Parra, Bush, Doug Davis, and Narveson in the rotation and very little bullpen depth (hello Kameron Loe). The greatest managers of all time were not going to win with those staffs.

It wasn't listlessness that doomed Macha. It was pitching staffs that relied on names like Looper, Suppan, Parra, Bush, Doug Davis, and Narveson in the rotation and very little bullpen depth (hello Kameron Loe). The greatest managers of all time were not going to win with those staffs.

Ya beat me to it...

I don't consider Macha anything other than the guy who had to manage a team with nothing, I mean nothing on the pitching staff. I don't give him credit, or fault, he was in a no win situation from the get go.

Ya beat me to it...

I don't consider Macha anything other than the guy who had to manage a team with nothing, I mean nothing on the pitching staff. I don't give him credit, or fault, he was in a no win situation from the get go.

The 2009 pitching staff had a weak rotation, but was anchored by a prime Yo and a solid bullpen. The 2010 staff had an adequate rotation and solid pen. These teams were painful to watch. But to ignore the manager and blame the pitching staff is simply not fair.

Macha was the opposite of Roenicke. He was smart and fairly strategic, but he couldn't relate to his players. Earning respect from your players is part of the job description. If you can't do it, you're not going to get through to them on much.

Counsell is not perfect, but for the most part he is the best of both worlds.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.mlbdailydish.com/2020/2/18/21142456/cardinals-miles-mikolas-injury

"Miles Mikolas will have another PRP injection today. Will not throw for 3-4 weeks and then ramp up from there. Will start the season on the IL"

Also Aaron Judge dealing with more shoulder problems. I said it when he first broke out, guys who are as big as Judge do not last very long in MLB. It is just too hard on the body being that large.

"Miles Mikolas will have another PRP injection today. Will not throw for 3-4 weeks and then ramp up from there. Will start the season on the IL"

Also Aaron Judge dealing with more shoulder problems. I said it when he first broke out, guys who are as big as Judge do not last very long in MLB. It is just too hard on the body being that large.

They also are much more prone to finding holes in their swing, as their strike zone is so much bigger than the shorter guys.

They also are much more prone to finding holes in their swing, as their strike zone is so much bigger than the shorter guys.

Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman told reporters on Tuesday that Jimmy Nelson could be a "Brandon Morrow-type" reliever.

Nelson is currently getting a chance to win one of the final spots in the rotation for the Dodgers, but there's a lot of competition for those spots, and the right-hander has not been healthy since 2017 when he suffered a shoulder injury diving into first base. There's never been a question about his stuff, however, and if Nelson is moved into a mid-to-high leverage bullpen role, he could miss plenty of bats as a bridge to closer Kenley Jansen.

SOURCE: Ken Gurnick on Twitter

Feb 18, 2020, 8:47 PM ET

Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman told reporters on Tuesday that Jimmy Nelson could be a "Brandon Morrow-type" reliever.

Nelson is currently getting a chance to win one of the final spots in the rotation for the Dodgers, but there's a lot of competition for those spots, and the right-hander has not been healthy since 2017 when he suffered a shoulder injury diving into first base. There's never been a question about his stuff, however, and if Nelson is moved into a mid-to-high leverage bullpen role, he could miss plenty of bats as a bridge to closer Kenley Jansen.

Will be interesting to see how his shoulder responds to a role change, after starting his entire career up to this point. This might be best for him. I hope he has success, even if it's for the Dodgers.

Will be interesting to see how his shoulder responds to a role change, after starting his entire career up to this point. This might be best for him. I hope he has success, even if it's for the Dodgers.

I seen that Archie Bradley won his Arb case and was the last case this season that endured the process without coming to an agreement. Overall, owners won 7 cases and players won 5. Lot closer to 50/50 after the owners won the initial 4.

On an Aside, Bradley is going to make 4.1mil this season after around 2.3mil the previous. He became Arizona's closer last season and only has 1 more Arb season remaining. I realize he wasn't a Hader but something to compare maybe. For future pricing. If you give Hader a similar increase that comes to. Approximately 7.33 mil mil next season. I'll give him a bonus of 500k to be a 7.85mil projection then next season. Had Hader won the price on just Bradley's increase would have become 11.41mil next season.

Edit add. Year 3-20.33mil and yr 4 36.33mil. Had Hader won.

At 4.1 the increase only awards to 7.33, 13.06, 23.27mil.

Archived