Brewer Fanatic

2020 Misc MLB News

sveumrules

I cannot for the life of me understand the big deal with Castellanos. He's a defensive butcher whose only value is in his bat.

Unless you really think what he did for the Cubs for two months is the sign of a genuine breakout he's basically Domingo Santana for his career with somewhat less Ks and the ability to play multiple positions badly instead of just one.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nobody has said the Reds can't be a good team, they just aren't assuming it is going to happen just because they sign a mix of free agents. They still almost all played better than expectations last year and still only managed 75 wins. Even if they improve by 10 wins they aren't even competing yet, they have to improve by 15-20 wins. It is certainly a possibility but it isn't a given.

So last season, when we added Grandal and Moose, people weren't talking how much better we were? Ok then...

The Reds getting better means fewer wins for the other Central teams when they beat them more than last year.

We'll see what happens, but refusing to acknowledge that the Reds are now a team we need to worry about doesn't make it true.

Looking at their roster, offensively and pitching wise, they look a lot better than us on paper. Yes, I get it, on paper doesn't get you wins or championships, but it's all we have to go on at this moment.

That team, right now, looks better than us, and living in a fantasy world acting like they are not going to challenge us and the Cards for the division is shortsightedness.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The division will be tough. It always is. You cannot control what other teams do. We've battled and destroyed the last two years of the Cubs "dynasty" while many said that the Brewers wouldn't compete for years to come. The Brewers are going to continue to stick with what they believe is best for what they are trying to accomplish and it has been working for them. It might be time for some fans to buck up and start trusting our front office a bit instead.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Division is going to be brutal. Season Win Totals for gambling came out recently and every team but Pit's number was above .500. If the Reds are only getting 4th best payout for the division and it's noticeably more than the other 4 teams it seems like a good bet to me. On paper I think they have the best team in the division.

So last season, when we added Grandal and Moose, people weren't talking how much better we were? Ok then...

In 2018, we won 96 games & lost in Game 7 of the NLCS.

In 2019, we won 89 games & lost in the Wild Card game.

Anyone talking about how much better we were ended up wrong, just like most January prognosticators.

That team, right now, looks better than us, and living in a fantasy world acting like they are not going to challenge us and the Cards for the division is shortsightedness.

No, it's simply reality. The Reds haven't done anything yet. No division has ever been won in January. Last year at this time, all the talking heads had the Phillies pegged for a World Series appearance. How'd that turn out?

If the Reds get to June and are laying waste to their competition, I'll worry about them. Not now. And that is definitely not shortsighted. How could needing proof that the moves they are making are effective be considered short-sighted? If anything, handing them the NL Central crown in January is short-sighted by definition.

Also yeah, Brewer fans thought that signing Grandal and Moose would make the team better than they were in 2018. Well, last year's team was demonstrably worse than 2018's. It's why they play the games.

I cannot for the life of me understand the big deal with Castellanos. He's a defensive butcher whose only value is in his bat.

Unless you really think what he did for the Cubs for two months is the sign of a genuine breakout he's basically Domingo Santana for his career with somewhat less Ks and the ability to play multiple positions badly instead of just one.

I think this reasoning is 100% valid and yet, perhaps irrationally, I still want the guy. However, I'm not going to be even the slightest bit miffed when the Brewers don't sign him. I'm not in the "we need to sign a big name impact bat" camp.

As for the Reds I like their potential a lot, I expect improvement from them and think they could have a good season, one where they could contend for 1st place in the division. But outsiders have been thinking that about the Phillies the last couple seasons too and look how far that's gotten them. I don't know if that makes the Phillies or Reds bad teams, they just haven't been good enough teams. So far.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Carlos Gomez looks like he's retiring.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/carlos-gomez-will-reportedly-retire.html

Sounds like he wants to retire a Brewer.

He will always be one of my favorite Brewers players ever, such a special talent and personality. He was one of the only bright parts in those rebuilding years.

The roster was pretty good in 2013 and 2014, comparable (on paper) to the last 3 years. The Gomez trade basically started the rebuilding years of 2015 and 2016.

The Brewers apparently have some kind of partnership deal with SC Johnson. It will be announced on the 24th of January. According to the Racine Journal-Times. I won't link it because there is really no other information.

Recycling partnership. Hopefully it ends up being impactful and isn't a program that just sounds nice on the surface but yields a net negative for the environment after all variables are factored.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2020/01/24/brewers-sc-johnson-announce-plastic-waste.amp.html

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Bruce Levine of 670 The Score reports that the Cubs continue to have interest in free agent Scooter Gennett.

Gennett had a nightmare 2019 season, first missing time with a severe right groin strain before struggling with a .226/.245/.323 batting line over 139 plate appearances between the Reds and Giants. Still, he was a very productive hitter between 2017-2018 and makes sense for a team who has been reluctant to make any major investments this winter.

SOURCE: Bruce Levine on Twitter

Jan 27, 2020, 1:36 PM ET

Jon Heyman of MLB Network writes that the Cubs are one of "about a half dozen teams" considering free agent second baseman Scooter Gennett.

Bruce Levine of 670 The Score reported the Cubs' interest in Gennett on Monday. He's reportedly working out for a couple of teams this week, so a decision should soon follow. His value couldn't be any lower after a disastrous 2019, so he makes sense as a buy-low candidate for a number of teams.

RELATED: Chicago Cubs

SOURCE: Jon Heyman on Twitter

Jan 28, 2020, 1:09 PM ET

Cincinnati Reds 3B Eugenio Suárez today had surgery to remove loose cartilage in his right shoulder, an injury suffered recently in a swimming pool.

Suárez' physical activity will be limited at the beginning of spring training.

The team anticipates him to be ready to play toward the beginning of the regular season.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/reds-slugger-eugenio-suarez-undergoes-shoulder-surgery-after-injury-in-swimming-pool/

If this lingers at all my guess is Moustakas has to work out at 3B in spring training when he really should be getting reps at 2B.

Cincinnati Reds 3B Eugenio Suárez today had surgery to remove loose cartilage in his right shoulder, an injury suffered recently in a swimming pool.

Suárez' physical activity will be limited at the beginning of spring training.

The team anticipates him to be ready to play toward the beginning of the regular season.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/reds-slugger-eugenio-suarez-undergoes-shoulder-surgery-after-injury-in-swimming-pool/

If this lingers at all my guess is Moustakas has to work out at 3B in spring training when he really should be getting reps at 2B.

I think Matt Duffy is still a FA. I could see them adding him for no money as 3B/2B insurance. Forsythe and Dozier make some sense too. All those guys might not even require major league deals. Holt and Scooter probably can find teams with a little more clear path to playing time I’d think.

Chicago Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant has lost his grievance against the team seeking an extra year of service.

I wonder if this increases his chances of being traded?

I think it opens the door to get a haul at the deadline if they are struggling and want to sell as part of a quicker rebuild. Doubtful they move him now knowing if everything breaks right they are still a talented team.

I think Matt Duffy is still a FA. I could see them adding him for no money as 3B/2B insurance. Forsythe and Dozier make some sense too. All those guys might not even require major league deals. Holt and Scooter probably can find teams with a little more clear path to playing time I’d think.

FYI - Matt Duffy has signed with Texas...

Ron Roenicke to be the Red Sox manager this season. There ya go.

Better them, than us!

I was an anti RRR fan, one of the happiest days as a Brewer fan was when he left...

Ron Roenicke to be the Red Sox manager this season. There ya go.

Better them, than us!

I was an anti RRR fan, one of the happiest days as a Brewer fan was when he left...

I don't mean this to be snarky at all, so don't take it that way, but have the Brewers ever had a manager that you've liked?

Archived