Brewer Fanatic

2020 Misc MLB News

sveumrules
  • Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Cardinals and Rockies have conducted trade talks in a potential deal for Nolan Arenado.

Bruce Levine of radio station WSCR 670 AM heard from a source that the potential return heading from St. Louis to Colorado would include starting pitcher Dakota Hudson, closer Carlos Martinez, outfielder Tyler O'Neill and prospect pitcher Matthew Liberatore. The Cardinals would also be responsible for most or all of the $234 million remaining on Arenado's contract. The two teams are likely not close to a deal at this time.

Jan 11, 2020, 4:04 PM ET

How could the Cardinals afford that contract and Goldschmidt's? Thought they were one of the smaller markets...getting comp balance picks yearly because so?

That sounds like a great deal for Colorado.

A 5th OF’er (O’Neil), a broken pitcher who may not be able to start again and has to stick in the bullpen (Martinez), a middle to back end SP (Hudson) and a pitcher who hasn’t gotten above A ball who one of the 3 smartest teams in baseball just gave up on (Liberatore) is a great deal for the Rockies who have to give up a top 3 3B and top 15-25 player in MLB?

A 5th OF’er (O’Neil), a broken pitcher who may not be able to start again and has to stick in the bullpen (Martinez), a middle to back end SP (Hudson) and a pitcher who hasn’t gotten above A ball who one of the 3 smartest teams in baseball just gave up on (Liberatore) is a great deal for the Rockies who have to give up a top 3 3B and top 15-25 player in MLB?

324/380/995 in Colorado. That's an elite.

265/323/799 not in Colorado. That's basically Moose the last 2 years.

Those are his career numbers. He costs 35 mil a year. Moose just got 16. Yes his defense is much better but 19 million dollars better? Discuss.

Frankly, I'd love them to give a ton of pieces that could be value pieces for a guy who's overpaid by roughly 5-10 mil a year. If Colorado finds any taker willing to pay value like that for him that buyer is going to end up a fool.

Quoting Arenado's career road slash is somewhat misleading. From his first season in 2013 thru last year, his seasonal road OPS have been...

.619, .713, .835, .832, .886, .772 & .866

The career numbers are weighted down heavily by his first two seasons. Over the last 5 years he is at 269/333/506 (117 wRC+) on the road. Over the last 3 seasons it is 270/342/499 (116 wRC+) on the road.

Even if his wRC+ drops from the 125-130 range down to 110-115, with his defense that is still a 4 WAR player.

The problem is that you're paying 70 million for two years of that production then Arenado can opt out if he performs well enough to think he can beat the 5/164 left on his deal. If he falls off to the point he doesn't think he can beat that 5/164 now the Cards are stuck with a deal that's over-market for the next half decade.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Those are fair points. Let's assume Arenado that outside Coors Arenado is even a 120 wRC+ guy. Arenado's huge deal only runs through his age 34 season as well, which I honestly think he'd be smart to not opt out of. Teams are going to start to be hesitant to hand out these huge mega deals to guys running in to their age 37 - 40 seasons. They just have to start understanding that paying someone 35-40 million in a season where they're going to be worth .7 WAR doesn't make any kind of sense whatsoever. I think a lot will depend on what happens in the next CBA.

Even outside of Coors, it's reasonable to think that in his age 34 season, Arenado could be a 2 - 3 WAR player or so in his age 34 season.

Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that the Rockies have interest in Jonathan Lucroy.

Lucroy batted .310/.429/.437 over 175 plate appearances for the Rockies in the final two months of the 2017 season, which was the last time he managed any production at all at the plate. Perhaps the 33-year-old could become relevant again in deeper leagues if he returns to Colorado, although he'd have to share playing time with Tony Wolters.

Related: Colorado Rockies

Source: Boston Globe

Jan 12, 2020, 11:00 AM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

324/380/995 in Colorado. That's an elite.

265/323/799 not in Colorado. That's basically Moose the last 2 years.

Those are his career numbers. He costs 35 mil a year. Moose just got 16. Yes his defense is much better but 19 million dollars better? Discuss.

Frankly, I'd love them to give a ton of pieces that could be value pieces for a guy who's overpaid by roughly 5-10 mil a year. If Colorado finds any taker willing to pay value like that for him that buyer is going to end up a fool.

I think the home/road stuff for him and other Rockies guys can be a bit skewed at times. No doubt they can’t sustain Coors numbers but most of their road games are in SF, SD, AZ and LA. Those parks largely play tough to hit in. On a different team/division I’d guess he’s closer to his Coors numbers than road numbers for his career, the underlying skills are there.

Quoting Arenado's career road slash is somewhat misleading. From his first season in 2013 thru last year, his seasonal road OPS have been...

.619, .713, .835, .832, .886, .772 & .866

The career numbers are weighted down heavily by his first two seasons. Over the last 5 years he is at 269/333/506 (117 wRC+) on the road. Over the last 3 seasons it is 270/342/499 (116 wRC+) on the road.

Even if his wRC+ drops from the 125-130 range down to 110-115, with his defense that is still a 4 WAR player.

The problem is that you're paying 70 million for two years of that production then Arenado can opt out if he performs well enough to think he can beat the 5/164 left on his deal. If he falls off to the point he doesn't think he can beat that 5/164 now the Cards are stuck with a deal that's over-market for the next half decade.

Fair enough. Is a guy who is a 840 OPS with very good defense at the position worth more than 35 mil? That's an additional problem with Arenado. 35 mil is a lot of money and trading value for a guy who is fair market is not the best strategy.

It appears that Dan Plesac is going to be working in some manner for the Cubs new Regional Sports Network, the Marquee Sports Network. Not sure if he will also continue working in some capacity on MLB Network? Either way I don’t think he’ll be filling in as spot duty for Rock anytime soon. Looks like he was also scheduled to make an appearance at the Cubs Convention today.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

The Brewers apparently have some kind of partnership deal with SC Johnson. It will be announced on the 24th of January. According to the Racine Journal-Times. I won't link it because there is really no other information.

It appears that Dan Plesac is going to be working in some manner for the Cubs new Regional Sports Network, the Marquee Sports Network. Not sure if he will also continue working in some capacity on MLB Network? Either way I don’t think he’ll be filling in as spot duty for Rock anytime soon. Looks like he was also scheduled to make an appearance at the Cubs Convention today.

Looking at the talent they hired is weird. It’s like they took the B lineup from MLB Network.

Carlos Gomez looks like he's retiring.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/carlos-gomez-will-reportedly-retire.html

Sounds like he wants to retire a Brewer.

He will always be one of my favorite Brewers players ever, such a special talent and personality. He was one of the only bright parts in those rebuilding years.

Agreed. Those 2013/14 seasons rank 9th & 22nd by fWAR in franchise history among 580 qualified individual seasons. That he begat Hader, Houser, Domingo & Maverick is a nice bonus too.

If you consider Yount as a SS, Carlos is probably the best CF in franchise history. Even if you don't, Gomez put up around 77% of Robin's CF bWAR in only about 51% of the plate appearances...

Yount CF | 1185 G | 5101 PA | 117 OPS+ | +20 BSR | -66 FLD | 24.9 WAR

Gomez | 697 G | 2576 PA | 110 OPS+ | +5 BSR | +57 FLD | 19.1 WAR

If the Reds get him, you can't, under any circumstance, tell me that the Reds are a crappy team, and that they won't be in the mix for the Central title. Hell, I believe even without him, they just might finish top 2 in the division...

*sigh*

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Reds are still a player for free agent outfielder Nicholas Castellanos.

Heyman also reports that the Rangers remain interested in Castellanos, among other teams. Cincinnati was also one of the teams interested in acquiring Marcell Ozuna, who signed with the Braves earlier in the week. The Reds do have talented young corner outfielders like Jesse Winker and Aristides Aquino, but Castellanos would appear to provide more safety than those options. He hit .289/.357/.525 with 27 homers for the Tigers and Cubs last year, and he'd likely put up similar numbers playing in the friendly confines of Great American Ball Park.

Related: Texas Rangers, Cincinnati Reds

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter

Jan 22, 2020, 8:30 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If the Reds get him, you can't, under any circumstance, tell me that the Reds are a crappy team, and that they won't be in the mix for the Central title.

I can. They haven't proven anything other than spending a bunch of money on a bunch of names. It certainly wouldn't be the first time a team made a big free agent splash and ended up not living up to expectations. Heck, we only have to go back one year and look at the Phillies.

Archived