Brewer Fanatic

Addison Russell

Would Addison Russell be a good rebound candidate to play 3B in Milwaukee? I know the guy has a negative history but he is only 25 years old. He may do well in a small market. Does his history impact a teams decision to sign him?

No ... Yes.

I'd rather roll with Healy at 3B than sign Russell to play there. Russell just isn't very good, on top of all his baggage.

Russell's best asset is his glove at shortstop. Doesn't seem like a fit at 3B at all. If picking him up, the only sensible thing to do would be putting him at shortstop and bumping Urias to 3B, and it's probably pretty unlikely that the Brewers would want to do that.

Even before the domestic abuse issues surfaced with Russell, the guy basically was the Cubs' biggest flop in terms of what initially appeared to be an endless run of perennial all stars amounting to league average, or even below league average, position players. He had a good 2016 and was downhill ever since. Russell is a good defensive shortstop that never developed into the plus offensive player many assumed he would become...basically he was their version of Orlando Arcia with just slightly more pop, and I'd argue Arcia will wind up having the better MLB career.

Would anyone want Arcia being our everyday 3B? Think of Russell as that plus he's a domestic abuser. Take Russell away from SS and he has no value to a contending team.

Russell came to the big leagues at age 21 with very little experience in the high minors though he didn't set the world on fire (he's never reached 100 OPS+), he did well enough for people to conclude he was a future star. In truth, the guy had a lot of growing up to do both on and off the field. The Cubs efforts to get him help off the field seem to be working so far, but there was always going to be a cloud hanging over his head there. As a player, he probably needs close to a full season out of the spotlight in AAA to refine his game. He's a decent utility player as is, but no team needs the potential headache enough to sign him as a utility player. I'd be fine if Brewers signed him to a AAA contract not to compete for a major league spot initially but to develop his talent more in San Antonio and maybe he'd be an option late in the year. He's still just about to turn 26. But they'd have to monitor him. Hopefully he's matured and will continue using resources to allow him to continue his career.

I would have a difficult time trying to justify Stearns and Co. making a potential play at value here. That would feel totally scummy to me. I do hope that he becomes a much better person going forward, but I don't have any interest in the Brewers playing a role in any form in the potential redemptive arc.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I would say no on Russell - unless the team really thinks he has unlocked potential. And they truly feel he is deserving of another chance after his abuse stuff. But otherwise, he's not worth it.

We have a promising set of middle infielders in Urias and Hiura. There's no need to have someone taking away their playing time at this stage.

And at this stage, Russell's bat simply isn't that good to play 3B. He's a .700 OPS player - although he seems like he should be better. And he's always graded out well on defense.

The abuse allegations are certainly a huge issue. The team would have to have some serious conversations with the guy before considering adding him to the club. As noted, it probably isn't worth it.

Archived