Brewer Fanatic

2020 Lineup

MVP2110

So with the main offseason possibly over, atleast as starters go what do you guys see as our possible linuep? I know they might add a 3b yet but also possible Sogard is their guy there.

Personally I'd expect something like

Vs RHP

SS Urias

RF Yelich

2b Hiura

C Narvaez

1b Smoak

LF Garcia/Braun

CF Cain

3b Sogard

Vs LHP

SS Urias

RF Yelich

2b Hiura

1b Braun

LF Garcia

CF Cain

C Narvaez

3b Healy

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't see Braun getting enough outfield starts to even categorize him as an outfielder anymore.

C = Narvaez, Pina

IF = Braun, Smoak, Hiura, Urias, Arcia, Sogard

OF = Yelich, Cain, Garcia, Gamel, Taylor

I'd guess Taylor's glove claims the last spot over Healy's bat, which wouldn't be surprising at all considering Healy's bat has sucked the last couple of seasons. Although that last add will not be someone like Donaldson, I'd expect one more bat will be added to push Taylor/Healy off the 25-man.

And knowing how stubborn Counsell can be with the lineup (see Braun in the #3 spot early last season), I'm not anticipating Counsell will do much altering of the #1/#2 spots through the first 6-8 weeks of the season other than the planned days off.

And yes, I am expecting to see a ton of Sogard unless someone else is added because it's just a given that Counsell will want to play him as much as possible.

My guess as to what Counsell will do with what is on the 40 man roster right now.

versus righties

1. CF-Cain

2. LF-Yelich

3. 2B-Hiura

4. RF-Garcia

5. C-Narvaez

6. 1B-Smoak

7. 3B-Sogard

8. SS-Urias

versus lefties

1. CF-Cain

2. LF-Yelich

3. 2B-Hiura

4. 1B-Braun

5. RF-Garcia

6. SS-Urias

7. C-Pina

8. 3B-Sogard

I just don't see Braun getting enough outfield starts to even categorize him as an outfielder anymore.

C = Narvaez, Pina

I'd guess Taylor's glove claims the last spot over Healy's bat, which wouldn't be surprising at all considering Healy's bat has sucked the last couple of seasons. Although that last add will not be someone like Donaldson, I'd expect one more bat will be added to push Taylor/Healy off the 25-man.

And knowing how stubborn Counsell can be with the lineup (see Braun in the #3 spot early last season), I'm not anticipating Counsell will do much altering of the #1/#2 spots through the first 6-8 weeks of the season other than the planned days off.

And yes, I am expecting to see a ton of Sogard unless someone else is added because it's just a given that Counsell will want to play him as much as possible.

My guess as to what Counsell will do with what is on the 40 man roster right now.

versus righties

1. CF-Cain

2. LF-Yelich

3. 2B-Hiura

4. RF-Garcia

5. C-Narvaez

6. 1B-Smoak

7. 3B-Sogard

8. SS-Urias

versus lefties

1. CF-Cain

2. LF-Yelich

3. 2B-Hiura

4. 1B-Braun

5. RF-Garcia

6. SS-Urias

7. C-Pina

8. 3B-Sogard

No matter which lineup you choose, it would be one of the weakest in baseball. 6-8 is horrible either way.

Yeah CC just doesn’t know what he’s doing......lol.

Braun will still get starts in the outfield......he isn’t going to just be the right handed part of the platoon at first.

Sogard isn’t going to be the starting 3rd baseman.....they will add someone else.

C = Narvaez, Pina

versus righties

1. CF-Cain

2. LF-Yelich

3. 2B-Hiura

4. RF-Garcia

5. C-Narvaez

6. 1B-Smoak

7. 3B-Sogard

8. SS-Urias

versus lefties

1. CF-Cain

2. LF-Yelich

3. 2B-Hiura

4. 1B-Braun

5. RF-Garcia

6. SS-Urias

7. C-Pina

8. 3B-Sogard

No matter which lineup you choose, it would be one of the weakest in baseball. 6-8 is horrible either way.

Could you qualify if you think that the 6-8 is one of the weakest in baseball or the entire lineup in general? If it is the latter, I would like to make a large wager with you. The top 5 will be doing a bunch of damage. I can't speak for the bottom 3 yet but I think Urias is a wildcard. Overall this lineup will perform anywhere from fine to good and I'm anticipating a few tweaks yet to improve it.

C = Narvaez, Pina

versus righties

1. CF-Cain

2. LF-Yelich

3. 2B-Hiura

4. RF-Garcia

5. C-Narvaez

6. 1B-Smoak

7. 3B-Sogard

8. SS-Urias

versus lefties

1. CF-Cain

2. LF-Yelich

3. 2B-Hiura

4. 1B-Braun

5. RF-Garcia

6. SS-Urias

7. C-Pina

8. 3B-Sogard

Not only is that claim incredibly pessimistic, it's also more than likely very wrong. Don't believe me ... just take a look at the projected lineups the Orioles, Marlins, Tigers and Pirates are projected to be putting out there.

Also, I'm going to make a pretty safe assumption right now that Eric Sogard will not be the team's everyday 3B.

versus righties

1. CF-Cain

2. LF-Yelich

3. 2B-Hiura

4. RF-Garcia

5. C-Narvaez

6. 1B-Smoak

7. 3B-Sogard

8. SS-Urias

versus lefties

1. CF-Cain

2. LF-Yelich

3. 2B-Hiura

4. 1B-Braun

5. RF-Garcia

6. SS-Urias

7. C-Pina

8. 3B-Sogard

This looks pretty accurate, but I am holding out hope a significant mystery acquisition will appear from the shadows sometime over the next month and the primary lineups will look closer to this...

vs. RHP

1. Cain (CF)

2. Yelich (RF/LF)

3. Hiura (2B)

4. Mystery Player (3B)

5. Braun/Garcia (LF/RF)

6. Narváez ©

7. Smoak (1B)

8. Urías / Arcia (SS)

vs. LHP

1. Cain (CF)

2. Yelich (LF)

3. Braun (1B)

4. Hiura (2B)

5. Mystery Player (3B)

6. Garcia (RF)

7. Piña ©

8. Urías / Arcia (SS)

Not just “at Night” anymore.

versus lefties

6. SS-Urias

7. C-Pina

8. 3B-Sogard

So far in his major league career, Urias has been a .371/.397/.557/.954 hitter against lefties. Small sample size but I think the Brewers will probably feel good about him hitting against lefties right out of the gate. He's been pretty dreadful against righties though, a puny .166/.293/.249/.542 slash line.

Pina was crazy good against lefties last year (.964 OPS), over the last three years he's been a .335 OBP/.748 OPS hitter against lefties which is fine for the bottom of the lineup.

Sogard generally hits lefties better than righties. Over the last three years he's slashed .266/.343/.456/.799 off of lefties, which if he could repeat would be excellent for a #8 hitter.

The lineup does concern me against righties as I don't think the bottom of that lineup is nearly as good. Also have more concerns with Cain at the top of the lineup against right handed pitchers. He had nearly identical OBP's against lefties and righties last year but historically has been a bit better against lefties. If he tails off at the top of the lineup again and the bottom of the order struggles, I could see this team having some trouble scoring runs off of right handed pitchers with the current roster.

If they can get a legit 3B option, I like the lineup a lot.

I totally agree. The legit 3B makes all the difference in the world. I see Braun playing 1B a lot more than Smoak.

Cain CF

Huira 2B/ I like Huira in the second spot because he'll see plenty of good pitches ahead of Yelich

Yelich LF

Braun 1B

Garcia RF

Narvaez C

Unknown 3B

Urias SS.

Many nice pieces to move around in the lineup. Plenty of options on the bench with Smoak(SH), Gamel(hits leties well), Pina(playes against lefties), Sogard to mix and match against certain pitchers. If Stearns can add a Harris or McHugh along with a viable 3B option, I think the Crew contends once again.

At risk of re-igniting an old debate/hobbyhorse of mine...

ss: Urias

2b: Hiura

lf: Yelich

rf: Garcia

c: Narvaez

1b: Smoak

3b: Braun

cf: Cain

pitcher

Think about it... it gets a bat that posted an OPS+ of 116 in the lineup. Doesn't cost prospects. IT's only for a year, and they can always use Sogard as a direct late-inning defensive replacement or Arcia as an indirect replacement (Urias moves to third).

pitcher

Think about it... it gets a bat that posted an OPS+ of 116 in the lineup. Doesn't cost prospects. IT's only for a year, and they can always use Sogard as a direct late-inning defensive replacement or Arcia as an indirect replacement (Urias moves to third).

Please do the first thing you said and think about it

pitcher

That bat with Braun's 3B defense makes him a below replacement level player. Even if Sogard reverts to the pre-2018 Sogard, he'd still be a better option as a full time 3B than Braun. They should, and I believe will, find a full-time 3B to add to the roster. But even if they don't, Braun is not seeing time at 3B. Nor should he. I know you enjoy being contrarian, but this one really has no merit. He was the worst 3B *ever*, back when he was a 23 year old on PEDs who was regularly playing 3B. Now he'll be a 36 year old with nagging injuries and (probably) not on PEDs, who also hasn't played an inning at 3B in 13 years. I can't even imagine how bad it'll be now.

I will take the under on Braun starting 20 games at 1B. I'll take the under on him starting 1 game at 3B. I think the team goes with a 4 headed OF with Gamel filling in for injuries. Narvaez is the regular C, Smoak is the regular 1B. Hiura is the regular 2B and Urias, Arcia, Sogard split time at various IF slots.

Where people bat in the order is way too fungible to worry about. We will see 120 different lineups on the season just like we normally do. Last season the Brewers most common lineup was used 4 times, it is just not something to worry about because it is never steady.

Cain leads off if he is playing well, Yelich and Hiura are towards the top. If players play to their 3 year average it is a very deep lineup. If players struggle there is a little bit of depth which is nice.

I will take the under on Braun starting 20 games at 1B. I'll take the under on him starting 1 game at 3B. I think the team goes with a 4 headed OF with Gamel filling in for injuries. Narvaez is the regular C, Smoak is the regular 1B. Hiura is the regular 2B and Urias, Arcia, Sogard split time at various IF slots.

Where people bat in the order is way too fungible to worry about. We will see 120 different lineups on the season just like we normally do. Last season the Brewers most common lineup was used 4 times, it is just not something to worry about because it is never steady.

Cain leads off if he is playing well, Yelich and Hiura are towards the top. If players play to their 3 year average it is a very deep lineup. If players struggle there is a little bit of depth which is nice.

I'd take the over on Braun at 1B and the under at Urias, Sogard starting more than 1/4 of the games at 3B. There won't be any odds at starting Braun at 3B.

I don't understand why people are so down on the lineup. 6-8 is really not as bad as the debbie downers are making it seem. Some added notes, 4-6 are virtually interchangeable...being a big balance guy, I'd probably try not having Narvaez and Smoak hit back to back, so for me maybe I go Smoak/Braun/Narvaez. Mystery 3b could easily move up the order. In the unlikely event we get Donaldson, he'd bat 3 or 4 obviously. Kyle Seager probably would get lumped in to the 4-6 group, making it a 4-7 group. I also like that we have a Cain backup plan, if he's not hitting well enough to lead off...we can try Urias or Sogard at the top of the order.

In regards to specifically 6-8, it looks not great now because 3b isn't filled yet. I would be shocked if we didn't add someone. Healy is more of an AAA guy to improve defense and come up at first injury. I doubt the plan is to have Sogard/Arcia/Urias split time at 3b/ss. So overall you have to take the bottom of the order with a grain of salt for now as it's not complete. But Narvaez will be a very good 6th hitter, and Urias I think will be excellent hitting 8th with his pitch recognition and big time upside if the talent eventually translates to MLB success.

Cain

Yelich

Hiura

Braun/Garcia

Smoak

Narvaez

Mystery 3b

Urias/Arcia

P

When no one plays 100 games at 1B, 2B or 3B on the season, you're going to have a ton of different lineups :)

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• 2 weeks later...

The way the roster is currently constructed is there enough power in the lineup to truly contend? I dont think the Brewers will be in the top half in HR’s this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way the roster is currently constructed is there enough power in the lineup to truly contend? I dont think the Brewers will be in the top half in HR’s this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? Yelich, Garcia, Smoak, Hiura, Braun and Narvaez are all pretty good bets to put up 20+ HRs, if not 30 apiece for several of them. I'd imagine that a Gyorko/Sogard platoon can hit 20 between them if healthy. Urias has power potential. I worry more about situational hitting with this group than power. The power is going to be fine.

Archived