Brewer Fanatic

Edwin Encarnacion to White Sox, 1-year/$12M

reillymcshane

Yes Brewers bottomed out at 62 and 68 mil in 16 and 17. In 2018 they brought in Cain Yelich. 2019 Grandal and kept Moose.

Yeas, but the 'bottomed out' Brewers were actually pretty strong despite that low payroll; they won 86 games in 2017 and missed the wild card by a sliver. The White Sox are on the upswing and have made a lot of noise this offseason, but they were 13th in the AL in runs scored last year and so they started with a lot of ground to make up...I'm glad to see them trying but I think it's premature to crown them.

Kodi Medeiros designated for assignment to make room for Encarnacion. Another Melvin first round pick goes bust, at least the Brewers were able to get something out of him before he completely failed.

Kodi was always a guy that I thought could put it together. Props like you said for getting something worthwhile out of him.

I'd keep my eye on him. Guys got the raw tools. He has literally no control. He's still fairly young though. You can count on anything but LHRP but if he ever finds some semblance of control he should be MLB level. I know the splits suck but you can't live north of 5BB/9. That's the demon he has to slay.

I hated it when we traded him, I admit it, and I'm hoping they pick him back up.

Why eat crow? Is his career over? Is he a complete and total bust because he was cut? I'm not following...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I hated it when we traded him, I admit it, and I'm hoping they pick him back up.

Why eat crow? Is his career over? Is he a complete and total bust because he was cut? I'm not following...

Why eat crow? Because these minor trades with very fringey prospects cause the prospect huggers to lose it. When is the last time one of these fringe guys even made an impact for the team we traded them to?

Why eat crow? Because these minor trades with very fringey prospects cause the prospect huggers to lose it. When is the last time one of these fringe guys even made an impact for the team we traded them to?

We got what? Half a season of Joakim Soria for our 1st rd pick in '14. It's more being concerned that we gave up on him so quickly.

Does Medieros have to be added to a team's 40man first? Or the same process DFA to place him in that team's minors off their 40man?

It would just seem shrewd to me that the Sox lose him taking him their 40man and a team can immediately add him not on their 40man?

Medieros has RP written all over him and I think the Sox delayed that last year starting him too many games trying to maintain the upside. It will be interesting though with the 3man requirements how it impacts a LHRP prospect moving forward.

I am truly amazed that Medieros has lacked such improvement since being drafted. Why he cant improve his control in the time he's had. I still remember the sliders he threw just being disgusting filth. Maybe the spin rate is too hard to control but would an adjustment be simple to reduce that? Gain some control with some less movement?

Anyway back in topic. Encarnacion is another big veteran bat to pair with Abreu.

Kids 24 and fell through the cracks due to being a HS draft pick. They gave up a promising arm for a rental. I don't think that's good business. You gather as many promising arm talents as possible.

The highest impact player Miami got in the Yelich trade to this point was the fringey guy.

The highest impact player Miami got in the Yelich trade to this point was the fringey guy.

You mean the guy that got shelled after teams saw his stuff better?

Yeah that 4.57 ERA in his last 4 starts really shows how he got shelled the rest of the year. 23 year old starter got rushed into the bigs and puts up 15 starts 5.25 IP per start and posts a 4.46 on the year. Ends with 4 starts at 4.57.

I assume he's garbage because he's not in MKE? You must have written off Corbin Burnes. We had plenty of people excited about Peralta heading into 2019 and in 2018 he wasn't better than Yamamoto was in 2019. MKE looks to be planning to start Lauer, he hasn't been much better than Yamamoto has been.

He had a bad stretch absolutely. He didn't fold. If you want to pretend his bad stretch was him getting figured out and his careers over, well you go right ahead.

Yeah that 4.57 ERA in his last 4 starts really shows how he got shelled the rest of the year. 23 year old starter got rushed into the bigs and puts up 15 starts 5.25 IP per start and posts a 4.46 on the year. Ends with 4 starts at 4.57.

I assume he's garbage because he's not in MKE? You must have written off Corbin Burnes. We had plenty of people excited about Peralta heading into 2019 and in 2018 he wasn't better than Yamamoto was in 2019. MKE looks to be planning to start Lauer, he hasn't been much better than Yamamoto has been.

He had a bad stretch absolutely. He didn't fold. If you want to pretend his bad stretch was him getting figured out and his careers over, well you go right ahead.

First 6 Starts: 1.59 ERA

Last 9 Starts: 6.65 ERA

Last 9 Starts: 6.65 ERA

Break up the stats however you want them to look for you? Is that what we are doing?

Next 5 Starts: 8.28 ERA

Last 4 Starts: 4.57 ERA

You've never seen a pitcher suck for a month? Ever watch early season Zach Davies? I guess I don't quite get the figured him out thing when he got tagged by the Mets on August 7th only to lay waste to them on Sept 26th. They un-figure him out? Guys not the Cy Young start he rattled off for the 1st 6 starts but to refer to him as simply a guy who got figured out and subsequently shelled is pretty biased for whatever reason.

Guy had 4 gems 1 2 5 and 15

6 where he got tagged 7 8 9 10 11 13

5 where he was solid/fine 2 3 6 12 14

You'll see he started amazing. Got tagged. Finished pretty solid. If they figured him out, he corrected. That's real solid for a fringy add in on a trade who got jumped from AA to the MLB last year.

Break up the stats however you want them to look for you? Is that what we are doing?

You've never seen a pitcher suck for a month? Ever watch early season Zach Davies? I guess I don't quite get the figured him out thing when he got tagged by the Mets on August 7th only to lay waste to them on Sept 26th. They un-figure him out? Guys not the Cy Young start he rattled off for the 1st 6 starts but to refer to him as simply a guy who got figured out and subsequently shelled is pretty biased for whatever reason.

You do realize that teams will get better video once a pitcher is in MLB right? I am impressed that he had a good start after the Mets were just eliminated from the playoffs the day before. Do you think the Mets players really cared about that game? Context matters.

You do realize that teams will get better video once a pitcher is in MLB right? I am impressed that he had a good start after the Mets were just eliminated from the playoffs the day before. Do you think the Mets players really cared about that game? Context matters.

New strategy. Just keep throwing guys who aren't MLB arms at teams. If they don't have video they'll never be able to hit them. Pull guys out of the stands. It's that easy. New market inefficiency.

In all seriousness. Batters are going to adjust. What stops him from doing the same? It's part of becoming a professional. Happens to hitters, pitchers, QBs, etc etc. Guys striking out over a guy per inning. That's not a fluke. He always gave up too many HRs. In 30.2 IP he gave up a Corbin Burnes like 10. Gave up 0 in the first 34 innings and 1 in the last 14 innings. Maybe that's ebb and flow, maybe that's an adjustment. Then again, his opponent didn't try? Come on man. 1 hit 10k because they didn't want to play? It's a non-contact sport. You didn't make the playoffs so you can't be bothered to swing a bat at a ball? Let me guess, "Lamar Jackson is hard to defend because the pigment of his skin obscures the hand off" too. That's nonsense and I don't get why you are stooping to it in a sad attempt to prove your point. His team was miserable and every guy on that team had ample reason to check out too. Losing sucks but these guys also have egos. They might not run out a grounder or dive for a ball but they're going to try to hit the ball. No one is content to strike out and get embarrassed.

You call it context, I call it exaggeration to fit your narrative. He had a sensational spell, he had a miserable spell, he had a solid spell. No one's saying the first 6 are the norm. Why are you pretending that the middle 6 of 7 are the norm? Why are you pretending that the guys career is shot and now that he's figured out he's just going to get shelled? It's just not reality. Really, what's your axe to grind here because your take is nonsense and I just want to hear your real beef. Did you kill him when someone pointed to him being good and now you are forever bound to proving yourself right regardless of evidence? What's going on here because sense isn't it.

[

It would just seem shrewd to me that the Sox lose him taking him their 40man and a team can immediately add him not on their 40man?

If a team trades for him/ claims him during the DFA process he will have to be added to the 40 man. If nobody claims/trades for him then the White Sox will outright him to the minors but he won't be on their 40 man.

You call it context, I call it exaggeration to fit your narrative. He had a sensational spell, he had a miserable spell, he had a solid spell. No one's saying the first 6 are the norm. Why are you pretending that the middle 6 of 7 are the norm? Why are you pretending that the guys career is shot and now that he's figured out he's just going to get shelled? It's just not reality. Really, what's your axe to grind here because your take is nonsense and I just want to hear your real beef. Did you kill him when someone pointed to him being good and now you are forever bound to proving yourself right regardless of evidence? What's going on here because sense isn't it.

Writing a reply of random garbage because you can't admit that context matters is embarrassing. I won't continue this because it isn't really related to the thread. If you want to continue the discussion, you can pm me.

Back to Medeiros... it doesn't really matter now, but the 2014 draft was laden with talent, the first round in particular which only emphasizes how bad the Brewers missed on this pick.

Still available at the time the Brewers took Medeiros 12th overall: Trea Turner, Sean Newcomb, Matt Chapman, Jack Flaherty, Luke Weaver, Michael Chavis, Justus Sheffield, Touki Toussaint, Erik Fedde, Michael Kopech, Tyler Beede, Brandon Finnegan, Bradley Zimmer. Kudos again to Stearns for cashing in Medeiros for something before his 'prospect status' fizzled out completely.

Kodi Medeiros designated for assignment to make room for Encarnacion. Another Melvin first round pick goes bust, at least the Brewers were able to get something out of him before he completely failed.

He's only 23. He could put it together.

I'd have no problems at all with giving him a minor-league deal with NRI invite. The goal would be to make him a relief pitcher - he seemed to do better when he was shifted to the bullpen - but at his age... yeah, I take the chance.

Archived